Altabird, UT 3/13-14/24

tseeb

I rode bus to Alta from Snowbird and was in line for Collins at 830. This is lines for both Collins and Wildcat about 5 minutes after they opened at 915 just before I loaded from 5 or 6 back in singles line. Maybe crowds would have been less if they had not reported 16" new in last 24 hrs.
8540Collins+WildcatLine.JPG

I took High Traverse gate 1 which requires a little stepping up and skied Thirds, getting a few face shots going to and along the trees to the right. Visibility was tough in very wide, open area getting to creek crossing to get to Sunnyside that I rode to Sugarloaf, but snow was deep and very forgiving. I rode and skied Sugarloaf, which was stopping a lot, three times; first skiing powder along edge of Gravy Boat, then twice going into trees off EBT. First run included steep powder around Amen, second was along ropeline protecting Backside (that may have opened on Wednesday?!) and last I went thru gate past Cecret Lake. Flat light on tracks coming out of trees off EBT.
8542OffEBT.JPG

This was with auto-color correction. It was not sunny. Baldy was spinning and I heard both it and Mineral Basin opened.
8541OffEBT.JPG

I moved to Supreme for three laps first skiing powder along edge of No. 9 Express and Vicky’s Gully, then twice going into Catherine’s area, first from the traverse, then from the hike. Both Sugarloaf and Supreme developed moderate lines, especially for singles. I skied, rode rope tow, then hiked up to Wildcat, avoiding still long line at Collins. I skied steep mostly chopped up snow on Wildcat Face, then on next lap returned to Snowbird at almost 1230 on White Cliffs where there were only about 4 tracks and I was the first to cut the corner into widely spaced trees. It rivaled Thirds for run of the day as I did not cross many tracks going to Who Dunnit and found more powder all the way to Bypass Road.

I skied to Gadzoom where my wife needed help getting back to Iron Blosam after struggling in the powder on a previous lap, probably lookers right at top to Bassackward. (I thought she was taking later bus to Alta.) I led her down packed run that goes lookers left of chair past Mid Gad lodge and she was doing well enough that when I stopped to see where she was, she passed me. But she had gotten cold waiting at bottom of Gadzoom and was done for the day. We found Tony Crocker unloading Wilbere and he led us on best path to point Lucia to bridge back to Iron Blosam while we met Bryce at Peruvian. All three of us skied Zen/Mid-Baldy Traverse, finding some powder next to a ropeline with me dropping/falling onto a road at one point. We also skied some of Blackjack Gully which was challenging and something I had thought was a closed area. Bryce and I went up Peruvian again skiing Upper Primrose Path, cutting below some cliffs for steep trees above the meadow, then taking a traverse that included a small drop to clear rocks to Mach Schell which was very good with some powder along edges. I then had a one tram wait and found top was in sun. Upper Silver Fox, which skied well, and the rest of the way down was not in sun and I took some easier routes before skiing a steep lower face and finding a little powder almost at bottom. I stopped a little before 3 with almost 24K. These two pictures taken before skiing. First is my SUV that morning and 2nd is me in front of wall of snow at entrance to Iron Blosam, taken by my wife from our balcony. I had gone to car to get slightly longer poles for my wife, hoping they had bigger baskets.
8534PilotBackLow.JPG
9584TonyByWallCloser.JPEG

Last edited:
Thursday 3/14 (Pi day) was mostly groomers with my wife. We rode Wilbere, then Peruvian and went through the tunnel (picture I'd taken of her in it more than 10 years ago was published in travel section of local paper), then she followed me through flat light down Lupine Loop to Baldy which we rode to Alta. I'd changed from storm yellow to more all-round googles thinking sun was going to appear, but it mostly did not. The top of Sugarloaf was in clouds all day. We first skied Devil's Elbow, then Razorback where I almost went off rocks to left while my wife stayed on groomed to right then Extrovert where we missed groomed entrance and came down steep ungroomed one. We move to Supreme for three laps skiing blue groomers to lookers right twice, then skied black Challenger that was groomed earlier in week, but was not this day and was correctly named for my wife. We thought about stopping at Alf's but continued to Albion base where we ate our lunch near one of many signs prohibiting it. At least we didn't have beers not bought there like guys in corner at end of our table.

After lunch we rode Sunnyside three times, skiing Race Hill (twice for Lucia), then I found decent powder to right going down off Vail Ridge. We returned to Sugarloaf where unlike Supreme it looked like top was going to be in sun, but found visibility still poor on top. Next time up we returned to Snowbird, skiing Claim Jumper where my wife had a hard crash losing a ski when I led her into soft snow. She was getting tired and after riding Mineral skied mostly Chip's, with a couple of short steeper groomed alternates to Snowbird center with 16K, a big day for her.

I returned to Mineral and turned right out of the tunnel finding a little powder on High Stakes, then cutting over to smooth Lone Star. I skied Mineral twice more both time going through gates off Chip's first time skiing Chamonix Bowl, second time Double Down, both times making some steep powder turns before cutting over to Lone Star. After riding Mineral again, I skied Road to Provo, crossing a few humps of avy debris. I though about trying something off road well before Mark Malou, but visibility was poor. I dropped a little early and cut over to Hoop's finding some deep chopped off snow. I quit before 4 with a lap on Wilbere and 23.6K. No skiing pictures. It was cold all day and my hands got cold enough taking out phone to read texts. Going past my parked SUV at 4:01
8546PilotDeepest.JPG

Car behind me left and I shoveled for maybe 5 minutes to get out and move to closer to door parking.
8548PilotBeforeShoveling.JPG

A little alpenglow at 7:30 PM when I walked outside to finish call with Lonnie, who was supposed to be my roommate, but got hurt. It's now still almost dark at 7:20 AM.
8549SomeAlpenglow.JPG

The reported 16 inches new snow at Alta Wednesday contained 1.62 inches water, slightly dense by Utah standards. I was in line at Wilbere 5 minutes before 9AM opening. Last year on the Wednesday I got in 3 quick Wilbere laps of silky powder cruising. This year I’d say only half of those 16 inches fell this low and some of it was during the day Tuesday, so I was feeling the bumps under that powder.

After my second, Wilbere run I moved to Gadzoom for perhaps a 10 minute wait, then to Little Cloud for similar lift line that was building rapidly. The snow looked shallow under the lift, and one guy on chair said he had just skied it and it was wind compacted.

Although it was still snowing all day, the big difference vs. the Wednesday a year ago is that much terrain opened. The Cirque was already open so I headed that way to the Shot 10/11 entries I knew I could handle. These had been skied quite a bit but after a few turns I moved right under the shots with bonier entries and skied nearly untracked all the way down through the apron.

I skied Anderson’s Hill, then headed back to Gadzoom, where I fortuitously ran into Bryce and decided to follow his lead as long as I could hang on. We skied Upper Black Forest, then ran into Al and George at the top of Gad 2. We surveyed that the Tigertail gates were closed (they opened mid-Afternoon) and then skied into the trees crossing under Gad 2.

Al was on his first ski day of the season and not on powder skis, so understandably struggled with the conditions. George stayed with him while Bryce and I went to Little Cloud after learning surprisingly that Mineral Basin was open. Despite the bad visibility I knew that Lone Star which had been groomed Monday rated to have good powder without an annoying subsurface. This was indeed the case and we even got lucky with a short sunny break about 2/3 of the way down.

Bryce and I skied two Baldy runs, one of them hitting the Fossil Chutes, which did have a frozen subsurface but with the 16 inches came into play only occasionally.

We left Mineral Basin, traversing through the worst vis of the day to the Middle Cirque traverse. Bryce knew that Wilbere Bowl would be a good call midday as most skiers would drop in earlier to Middle Cirque, Restaurant Roll or South Chute. Even though the traverse was well covered, the irregular bumps were tiring and I suspect that Wilbere Bowl would be my last run. But Wilbere Bowl was still plenty deep and I probably would have skied it under these conditions with one stop at most few years ago. This time I needed three suck wind breaks.

Nonetheless I felt good to go for one more run on Peruvian, the Zen/Mid-Baldy Traverse that Tseeb mentioned above. I quit at 1:45 with 16,500 vertical, about 10K of powder.

On Thursday my intention was to go to Alta as I thought there was more closed terrain from Wednesday that might open. This proved completely incorrect as Backside and Supreme’s expert terrain had opened Wednesday afternoon and Ballroom never opened either day.

The day started on a high note as Liz and went up Gadzoom and Little Cloud to see if Lone Star was still any good. Only 6 inches new snow had been reported, nearly all of that falling during the day Wednesday. Nonetheless Lone Star had completely reloaded overnight from the wind. Visibility was just adequate on top but as on Wednesday we got a sunny break on the lower half.

As good as Lone star was, I was still tired from Wednesday so we continued into Alta where we met Bryce, his parents Barry and Sarah and a local friend Jim. We all rode Supreme which was in thick fog at the top. Bryce led Jim and me through the Supreme Bowl gate out to one of the Spiny Chutes. There was still a decent amount of powder in there, but I needed to retreat to groomers for awhile. We skied 3 runs on Sugarloaf and had lunch at Alf’s.

I was still tired and had just one interesting run left in me. There was no doubt what that should be. Liz followed me most of the way out the traverse from Wildcat, but ended up below the gate we have skied with former Admin. She skied an untracked condo run through trees to the Blackjack traverse and trail. Through the gate I had the usual wide open lightly tracked run.
IMG_5358.JPG

With the thick cloud all day above 9,500 feet, powder remained excellent despite the west exposure and lower altitude.

I skied my usual exit to the bridge and walked through the parking lot where my car was well buried. Later I took al and Adam’s advice to excavate it before the snow set up.
IMG_5361.JPG

I skied a modest 13,200 vertical but at least that included three high quality powder runs.

I have driven the Tesla to Iron Blosam in 2020 and 2022. As in 2019 and 2023 we will be road tripping for nearly 2 more weeks into areas with poor supercharger coverage.

We did the Mesa Verde/Santa Fe trip in the Tesla last October. Mesa Verde had one level 2 chargers at Far View Lodge and there were 5 Teslas there. We managed to get it for 4 hours and thus continued the trip as scheduled.

Ski trips can run on tighter schedules with last minute changes, so I want good supercharger coverage and not being dependent on choosing hotels with overnight charging.

Tesla is building superchargers like crazy in the urban areas with lots of owners. But in places like New Mexico, southern Colorado and the interior Northwest there aren’t enough yet off the Interstates.

Places they are needed IMHO: Whitefish, Sandpoint, Ely, Pagosa Springs, Cortez, Roswell.

It turns out we could have done the current road trip in the Tesla. Central Colorado has superchargers in Montrose and Poncha Springs, and also Telluride Mountain Village. Due to deeper snowpack and more predicted new snow, the last week of our trip is along I-70 rather than in New Mexico and Arizona. There are no superchargers in southern Colorado and an ancient 120kW charger in Farmington is the only supercharger in New Mexico not on I-25 or I-40.

New Mexico is one of those states where the legislature kowtows to car dealers and thus tries to hamstring Tesla. Several states restrict sales but New Mexico also bans service centers. Tesla has circumvented that by building two service centers on Indian reservations.

Back