Beaver Creek, CO, March 24, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
The weekend overcast weather continued, but Beaver Creek reported 3 inches overnight. As with nearly all Colorado areas, that’s measured 2/3 of the way up the mountain and there was no new snow noticeable near base areas. We got on the hill about 10:30.

We were skiing with our friend Paul and his high school senior son Justin, so were guided to mostly interesting runs with some of the new snow. Paul grew up in Colorado and definitely dates back to the Colorado mogul culture of the 1970’s and 1980’s. Winter Park’s Mary Jane is most well known for moguls formed by competent skiers, but I recall skiing them in 2015 at both Vail and Beaver Creek. Here’s Liz on Spider, the liftline of the Rose Bowl chair.
IMG_5658.JPG

We skied from Rose Bowl to Cinch via Sheephorn Glades. Paul is emerging from the bottom of those at full speed.
IMG_5665.JPG

From the top we skied Goshawk down to the Talon restaurant for lunch.
IMG_9485.JPG

Paul passes by here as I take a short break.
IMG_5668.JPG

Paul and Justin below me:
IMG_5670.JPG

After lunch we took a run on Grouse, then Larkspur to Yarrow with this view of Grouse.
IMG_9493a.JPG

We rode Birds of Prey and skied Harrier to the base, waiting here for the 3PM cookies.
IMG_9495.JPG

We chatted briefly with these guys, who were skiing with the Apex system.
IMG_5679.JPG

They wear snowboard boots, but if they want to ski they use these Apex shells which form a secure interface with ski bindings.

Finally the cookies arrive!
IMG_5682.JPG

We skied back to the Arrowhead base via Bachelor Gulch. Arrowhead is the farthest west parking base nearest Paul’s home in Eagle. We skied 19,600 vertical but eagerly anticipated the predicted pickup in snowfall Sunday night.

Back