Belleayre, NY: 04/03/23

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
With optimum spring conditions in the forecast, I ran up to the Catskills where I met Harv and a couple other skiers from his forum, including Ripitz, a Patrick-level skier who has become a verified New York Ski Blog phenomenon for posting stunning reports about paddling through the Hudson Highlands, skinning in the Catskills, hiking Mount Marcy, racing 70 miles on foot through the Shawangunk Mountains, and most impressively, e-biking to ski in the Catskills (<-- if nothing else, you must read this one). In addition to demonstrating his "iron man" bona fides, they're a testament to how beautiful our home state of New York is.

We skied succulent "it doesn't get better than this" corn throughout the day. Here are a few shots of Harv on his teles:
20230403_120101.jpg

20230403_120103.jpg

20230403_120330.jpg

Me at the beginning of the day, pulling out for old time's sake my 2006 Volant Genesis Gold skis (and I realized that they're too short for me now).
jamesdeluxe.jpeg

Back on my Kästles:
james - 1.jpeg

Many more excellent pix from the day here, including Harv and Ripitz in the trees. After a warm rainy weekend that definitely put a hurt on the offpiste snowpack, I scoffed at the likelihood of glade skiing but those two did it multiple times.

It was my first and last northeastern day of the season and with that, I'm moving on to golf and mountain biking.

Do you use the new gondola much during a ski day? Is it faster to ski to the base when you are on the western side of the mountain?

Do you use the new gondola much during a ski day? Is it faster to ski to the base when you are on the western side of the mountain?
I used it maybe six times and don't like it because you have to ski this incredibly flat connecting trail to the bottom of the hill and then take off your skis for a 1,300-vert (!) ride. Ultimately, it's probably the same amount of time using the gondola to return to the ridge as the shorter fixed Tomahawk chair on the west side but they could've used that money for better uses, such as connecting Highmount and installing a new lift there. That said; people seem to love the gondola on cold days and it's brought a lot of business to Belleayre.

Part of my annoyance is that after skiing a lot in the Alps, gondolas for me are what you take to get from the base area to the proper skiing terrain. A gondola is fine at a place like Snowbasin with 2,900 verts but it's inappropriate for a smaller hill in the Catskills.

take off your skis for a 1,300-vert (!) ride
:LOL::LOL:

they could've used that money for better uses, such as connecting Highmount and installing a new lift there
True, but. Much harder to do than to install that gondi. The gondi was IMAGINED and built in six months. The Highmount connection is taking decades it seems.

Not saying I'm in favor of the gondi, but the evidence is that the customers love it.

it's inappropriate for a smaller hill in the Catskills.

Some believe skiing is inappropriate in the Catskills.

:smileyvault-stirthepot:

The gondi was IMAGINED and built in six months. The Highmount connection is taking decades it seems.
I understand that anything at or near state-owned property happens as it happens and has a specific logic all its own. That's why Highmount is still sitting unused after 40 years.

customers love it.
I pointed that out above but it felt really silly to be running the gondola on a 50-degree day and having to water ski to the bottom instead of operating Lift 8/Tomahawk where the snow was in gorgeous spring condition. Once again, I realize that "ours is not to reason why" at a state-owned ski area; rather, just to be happy that it exists.

Last edited:
I pointed that out above but it felt really silly to be running the gondola on a 50-degree day and having to water ski to the bottom instead of operating Lift 8/Tomahawk where the snow was in gorgeous spring condition.

Maybe they want people to use the new multi-million dollar lodge. I don't think there was food service at Overlook.

I understand that anything at or near state-owned property happens as it happens and has a specific logic all its own. That's why Highmount is still sitting unused after 40 years.

State-owned Cannon managed to connect and invest in Mittersill. And Gore rescued the old SkiBowl.

Also, looking at a topo, Highmont practically touches the Deer Run/Belleayre trail. However, state would need to totally scrap the place and start anew with lodge, lift and snowmaking.

State-owned Cannon managed to connect and invest in Mittersill. And Gore rescued the old SkiBowl.
Yes but the Catskills seem to be a very tough nut to crack with regulatory challenges (NYC water source), issues with private property, and everything else inside a Unit Management Plan. To provide a taste, here's a UMP from 2015, 463 pages long. I remember one from the late 90s that not only had Highmount targeted to be redeveloped for skiing but also the ridgeline above Cathedral Glen down toward Pine Hill, which would be great. Of course, it'll probably never happen.

looking at a topo, Highmont practically touches the Deer Run/Belleayre trail. However, state would need to totally scrap the place and start anew with lodge, lift and snowmaking.
It's a 30-yard glide from Deer Run to the top of the old Highmount chair below and correct, it'd be a complete teardown/rebuild.

highmount-2-15-07-e-jpg.3926

Back