Euro Body Bags

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
20 years ago on the Epicski forum, I posted a thread with these very same photos/subject line from our 2003 visit to Tirol, which included Zell am See, Saalbach, Kitzbühel, Ski Welt, Westendorf (then a separate resort), Alpbach, and Auffach. We went there after stumbling upon a preposterous offer from a U.S. travel agent that included flights to Innsbruck, rental car, B&B lodging in Kitzbühel, etc. that we couldn't pass up even though this is decidedly not the part of the Alps you want to visit during the third week of March (ergo the cheap price).

If anyone has seen my unchic, low-budget skiing apparel, you'll know that I'm in absolutely no position to be the fashion police of anyone. Still, I found it curious that so many people were wearing colorful onesies, body bags, one-piecers -- whatever you want to call them -- during warm spring weather as opposed to a powder day, when they might have some utility. We noted anecdotally that a majority of the wearers seemed to be from the UK.

I don't recall witnessing anything like this again in later visits. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Picture_0382.jpg

Picture_0390.jpg

Picture_0392.jpg

Picture_0393.jpg

Picture_0394.jpg

Picture_0395.jpg

Picture_0396.jpg

Picture_0397.jpg

Picture_0400.jpg

Picture_0401.jpg

Picture_0402.jpg

Picture_0403.jpg

Picture_0404.jpg

Picture_0405.jpg

I don't recall witnessing anything like this again in later visits. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I don't see as many powdersuits (fart bags) in Europe in recent travels.

However, I have seen younger skiers in costume all day gearing up for apres ski. They are skiing around in tiger/superman/bunny/ferry costumes.... I am not sure how they are layered enough. Most seem British - and either on a guy's or group trip.

Also, I think most Euro Body Bags have been recycled for other purposes - like ironic closing day duds.

1707924412252.png

1707924446669.png

I think most Euro Body Bags have been recycled for other purposes - like ironic closing day duds.
Agreed. 21 years (!) have gone by since I took those photos but even back then I noted that people were wearing them in a completely unironic manner, as if it were still the late 1980s.

I'm not ashamed to say, I have owned and wore one...I bought one for my Heli trip in 1989..Not gonna lie, it was comfy and kept me dry..

Yes they work very well for cat/heli which is why I used mine well past when they went out of fashion. My everyday ski jackets before 2008 were not as good technically as the North Face one piece.

I also think the milestone award for CMH customers who ski a million vertical with them was a one piece suit.

Last edited:
I bought one for my Heli trip in 1989..Not gonna lie, it was comfy and kept me dry..
Yes they work very well for cat/heli which is why I used mine well past when they went out of fashion.
That was my point for posting this thread, not necessarily to goof on these people. Fashionable or not, one-piecers are useful in certain situations but likely not while skiing the sun-drenched/low-elevation Kitzbühel Alps during the third week of March. I guess I'll never know why I saw so many on that trip.

Last edited:
Fashionable or not, one-piecers are useful in certain situations but likely not while skiing the sun-drenched/low-elevation Kitzbühel Alps during the third week of March. I guess I'll never know why I saw so many on that trip.

I was still seeing monoskiers in Val d'ISere this past trip. A couple - not just one.

Some things take a while to die in the Alps - ski ballet (which I think was an Olympic sport at one time), monoskiing, one-piece ski outfits, etc.

Yes they work very well for cat/heli which is why I used mine well past when they went out of fashion. My everyday ski jackets before 2008 were not as good technically as the North Face one piece.

I also think the milestone award for CMH customers who ski a million vertical with them was a one piece suit.
I had an acquaintance who would spend six weeks every winter heli-skiiing with CHM (the only skiing he did, I believe) and I once asked him how many vertical feet he had accumulated; he casually replied, "Oh, I think something over 14 million". I'm not sure if he had 14 separate one-piece CHM suits?

The pix above taken at Saalbach -- starting with the gent arriving at his car in the all-blue body bag -- show a typical situation there during the third week of March: full coverage with beautiful spring conditions looking up at the north-facing slopes (red oval) along with the blowtorch situation on the south-facing terrain (black oval). Interesting that the Google Map below doesn't feature the connection to Fieberbrunn, which opened in December 2015.

I use Microsoft's Snipping Tool (any screen capture tool), and it allows me to directly edit Microsoft Paint (without having to save and reopen), where you can add text, shapes, or freeform lines.
I did it! Look at my hotshot shapes! :bow:

Saalbach.jpg

1708691304220.jpeg

Last edited:
Back