Kirkwood, CA 1/4/2024

tseeb

Edited to correct year as this was originally posted at 1/4/2003.
Even though it’s only one mile to Heavenly and 35 with two passes to Kirkwood, I did the longer drive. Not only is parking no longer free at CA base during this holiday week and snow much thinner, Heavenly announced during day that a bearing on gondola that runs from near Stateline to over 9K need to be sourced and replaced and is down. They should get Stagecoach (7500’ NV) base open for the season today or tomorrow. At Kirkwood, even arriving 10 minutes before 9 AM opening, I parked free across entrance road ~30’ from where I would end my skiing.

It was clear and cold and I warmed up with a couple of excellent Timber Creek groomers before moving to Cornice where SkiTracks shows I skied Sentinel (twice, some rocks at very top, but good packed powder and groomed partway up), Zachary and Monte Wolfe before moving to The Wall. They tried to improve the entrance but the road to it had many ‘chocolate chips’ and the only clean way in was about 6’ wide next to ropeline.
7893EarlyWall.JPG

7895ThimbleHeadwaters.JPG

I didn’t have trouble with it, but many did and there was a small backup on my third lap and skis left in it by a fallen child on my 4th. It seemed like a place where someone was going to get hurt. My 3rd and 4th lap I skied the ropeline as narrow entrance was getting scraped off. If I’d gone up again I would have tried going around to the back and either enter from the Notch or go all the way to the corner also reachable by hiking ridge from Cornice. On previous day, I came down chute on that is just to right of False Peak on far left.
7894WWBowl2Cornice.JPG

The skiing past the entrance was good packed powder. I twice came down this area once on the nose and once on right gully.
7904WallGoods.JPG

I went into Eagle Bowl once and once went farther skiers right towards Norms Nose. I’m not sure when Eagle opened but you had to be very careful at there were many rocks exposed and hidden.
7901EagleBowl.JPG

7899EagleBowl.JPG
At noon I took a break outside 7800 having a $3 Goose Island with sandwich and chips I brought while Reut line went down. After break, I tried unsuccessfully to scrape some P-tex sticking out of one ski on a sign then ran into Dave from England at the top of my 2nd Reut lap. We skied it once more, then next time up skied to and rode Caples Crest. We twice skied SE-facing chair 3, the easy way back from not yet open Sunrise and found the new snow was getting baked. We then skied W-facing Caples Crest in the sun twice on our way back to The Reut. I’d found good packed powder on both Wagon Trail and Conestoga earlier, but Dave thought race course that closed half of Buckboard would be gone so we went that way. Course was still there and the half of Buckboard open to public was scraped off although edges were still OK. Both times I went down it I skied a lot of the loose snow against ropeline throwing snow back onto course.

At 2:30 the intermediate chairs had moderate lines with sign showing Reut at 10 min and Solitude at 11. We did a last run on Cornice skiing Sentinel to Timber Creek which also had long line but at least is a high-speed quad. I got to my car a little before 3 with 20K and stopped at very busy Safeway before getting shop where guy always takes good care of me to scrape off P-tex that was sticking up even though he didn’t have time for overnight tune. I’m skipping skiing Friday to meet roofer at Mom’s rental above Auburn where tenant reported a leak to me when I was driving to Kirkwood Wed. AM and it seems like it will even busier. View from hot tub I poached.
7908HotTubView.JPG

Attachments

• 7899EagleBowl.JPG
    7899EagleBowl.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 7899EagleBowl.JPG
    7899EagleBowl.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Even though it’s only one mile to Heavenly and 35 with two passes to Kirkwood, I did the longer drive.
Smart plan. Heavenly has a long way to go: 28 inches season snowfall including 5 from the recent storm. Kirkwood has 65 inches for the season with 15 from the recent storm. Furthermore I think Kirkwood measures mid-mountain and Heavenly fairly high up. Northstar measures at the very top. Proportion Northstar to Palisades' upper and lower totals for a realistic estimate.

@4ster from SkiTalk who spends Winter skiing Snowbasin and Powder Mountain and rest of the year at Tahoe where I've mountain biked with him and his friends and skied with him and his brother, who is a retired dentist from San Jose, posted this photo of lines to download lowest CA level at Heavenly on Thurs.

IMG_8248.JPEG

Line for much lower capacity Tram is on left and line for downloading high-speed quad Gunbarrel on right. Not yet open Waterfall in background behind lines.

Closed until bearing is sourced and replaced gondola also can develop line for downloading so they have happy hour at bar at top there to spread out crowd. They are making snow to open Roundabout and Lower East Bowl to allow skiing to CA base. Lines were most likely worse today since Friday is the new Saturday and windy storm will probably close higher lifts at many Tahoe resorts on Saturday.

Edit to add following from Heavenly Mountain Facebook post today:

"Thanks for your patience as we work through the necessary Gondola repair. Let’s start with some good news: Stagecoach lift will be ready to go tomorrow morning (Sat., Jan 6)! This should help significantly, as we’re adding another uphill access point and top to bottom skiing and riding. Huge kudos to the team for their incredible work to make this happen through some challenging early season conditions. With Stagecoach set to open, we should be able to add North Bowl and Olympic next week. Round-A-Bout is also getting closer to being ready to open – we’ll keep you posted.

As for the Gondola, we’re glad to share that the required parts were overnighted to us from Europe, which will allow us to begin work on the repair as early as today. We’ve got our expert lift maintenance team members ready, along with team members from our manufacturing partner, to begin work the moment these critical parts arrive. We’ll share a more definitive timeline for reopening as soon as we’re able.

Today, we’ll be carefully monitoring upload capacity given our current limited operational footprint due to weather conditions. We still have a required download in place, and our top priority is ensuring that all guests have a safe experience. You should expect that we may have to cap uploading on the Gunbarrel Express and Tram around mid-day – this is a unique situation due to the lift downloading requirement, and we must ensure we can get everyone off the mountain at a reasonable time. Parking today will also be limited, and reservations are sold out at our California Base Area lot."

Last edited:
From Heavenly Mountain Facebook post:
"GONDOLA UPDATE:
Thanks to our incredible Lift Maintenance team, the new bearings are installed, the machine has been reassembled, and the Gondola is ready for testing! It will need to operate for testing before we are able to load guests, so you’ll see it spinning throughout the day today. As long as all tests go well, we plan to re-open it tomorrow, January 12! Thank you all again for the support and patience as we cross the finish line with the repairs. We are super excited to get the Gondola back online again!"

Not sure if I shared video here from 1/3/24 on road from top of Kingsbury to closed at the time Stagecoach base.
or https://www.kcra.com/article/tahoe-douglas-county-vehicles-slip-crash-video/46301631

Another video of same incident from a different angle.

Last edited:
Back