Kirkwood, CA April 17-19, 2024

tseeb

My friend’s seasonal renters moved out on 4/15. He was lucky that Kirkwood extended their season for two weeks after originally scheduled 4/14 closure. He could not come up until late afternoon and will stay until 4/28 closing. I left San Jose at 525, (Altamont Pass sunrise with Sierra visible on horizon on the other side of CA Central Valley)
8817AltamontSunrise.JPG
arrived at 845 but didn’t get on Reut chair until 920 after gearing up including rubbing on wax to prevent sticking I experienced on my last Kirkwood day. I skied Conestoga which was groomed and in great shape. Then I rode Cornice where there was moderate wind out of W/SW at the top. I skied Zachary’s twice dropping into a steep little bowl above top of Solitude chair at the top on my 2nd lap. I moved to The Wall too early as very steep groomed top was too firm.
8827EarlyWall.JPG
After going in and re-filling my water bottle, I did another Reut lap, the went up The Wall again and skied to empty and excellent E-facing Eagle Bowl to get to chair 2 to go to the Backside.
8829EagleBowl.JPG

I skied Cold Shoulder on Backside and found E-facing a little softer than perfect, but still very good. Next time up I had an almost 15 minute lift stoppage in a place where it was cold and windy enough that I kept thinking chair was restarting when it did not. I was wearing a thin base layer and light/medium jacket that used to be windproof, but felt a little under-dressed in some places in the AM. I exited Backside heading for Thunder Saddle, but decided to take Hell’s Delight even though it was still in AM and N-facing, then I saw Open sign heading into Permenently Closed Cirque. I started in, but saw a couple of Cliff Area signs and decided to look at it from the bottom so I ducked rope back into Hell’s finding good snow on left and in center, firm on the right, then great snow on apron and into Thunder Saddle bowl at bottom.
8838SecondHellEntry.JPG

I did the long two-slow-chair lap to return to the Backside. Chair 4 stopped on both laps, but for less than a minute both times. I skied right edge of main groomer Elevator Shaft then returned to Hell’s. This time I continued into 2nd Level of Hell’s and had to side-step up very steep soft snow to stay above cliffs and have an easy route to ropeline
8845SecondHellTraverse.JPG
that I skied to avoid them while hoping there were no wet slides or big chunks coming down. Snow quality and hazard level were both very high.
8844SecondHellRopeline.JPG

You can see the traverse I took. I hiked up above tree above cliffs. Regular Hell's Delight at center. The 2nd level is at right past the cliffs.
8854SecondLevelOfHell.JPG

On the way back to frontside, I rode chair 2 and did a lap in W-facing Low Whiskey, then rode and skied The Reut, then the Wall a couple of times. I moved to Cornice that I rode and skied 5x with a couple of laps into Timber Creek in between. I was going to do one last last lap on the Wall and quit before 3:30, but hiked over top of Norm’s Nose and found such good snow that I repeated the Wall skiing the main groomer after ridding long slow chair. I skied to within 5 feet on my SUV with 28.2K at 3:45. I joined the tailgating in the parking lot until I received call from my friend that he was at his cabin about a mile away. I took this picture for cousin who said to have a beer on his birthday for him since he was working. Everyone else who got there as early as me were long gone.
8859Tailgating.JPG

Steps cut into snowbank at friend's cabin are much steep than they look in this photo. Also had great sunset from his place.
8861CabinSteps.JPG

Not much new from skiing Thursday, 4/18 at Kirkwood, but I won't let that stop me from writing. Friend and his son who was a liftee, then cat driver/snowmaker at Kirkwood, then worked on lift maintenance at Heavenly, and I started at 10 after getting shuttle ride from cabin to near Cornice lift which we rode skiing Zachary twice. Wind was lower and skies were cloud-free until mid-afternoon. We ditched backpack with lunch, beer for me and extra clothing under a tree and went up The Wall where groomed top was very firm so we used Reut chair to get to Backside. We skied Backside runs twice finding excellent smooth, softening groomed snow. Friend and I returned to frontside on regular Hell's Delight where only the narrow left side had softened. Apron was excellent corn even though N-facing. We skied Low Whiskey which was better than when I skied it later on previous day to the The Reut and rode Cornice to pickup lunch. Friend had added a windbreaker over his long-sleeve T-shirt on a previous pass by backpack. I was good with a zip-neck baselayer and fleece vest. I'd worn a scarf over my neck as I'd gotten a haircut and didn't want neck to get burnt but neglected to put sunscreen on brow between sunglasses and helmet and did burn the exposed inch or two there.

We sat in shade of umbrella bar for lunch, them with cocktails and me drinking Heineken I kept wrapped in scarf. After a lap on the Reut where they ditched backpack, we returned to Cornice for a couple of Sentinel laps where snow was very good. We had all rubbed on can of wax I had before skiing and it worked surprisingly well. Friend's son jumping corner of road on left edge of Sentinel and after landing. Does not look that high, but he is 6' 6".
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

His son quit early then friend and I returned to The Wall for a couple of laps. At the bottom, almost at entry to lift corral, I picked up poles I thought he'd dropped but he left them there after a hard fall and quit after another Wall groomer lap and has a sore neck and 11 am work meeting Friday so not sure of his ski plans for today. Solo I skied high traverse into Headwater and mostly gravity route around the top of Norm's Nose where I skied narrow gully exit from steep N-face. I finished my day about 3:20 with a lap on the Reut and almost 24K. Shuttle was waiting to take us back to cabin where I shoveled deck for about 40 minutes, making a ramp so friend can try to get snowblower to work on it.

From Stev@SkiTalk (he lives at what he calls Mt Sputnik, NV - S of Minden - and is a year-round skier: "I skied that same area past Hell's today (Thursday). A lot of fun after getting past some pretty obvious no-fall zones. Afterwards I went up to the ski patrol shack at the top of chair 2 and thanked a couple of patrollers for opening that area. I was told that it is called Robini's Wing (not sure about the spelling.) The area just past and below the open sign is called Hell's Buttress. It was the first time that I saw that portion of the Cirque open to the public and I've had a Kirkwood pass for 27 years. The patroller said that they would like to open that area for skiing during the late season when conditions allow."

Adding some more photos. First is sunset view of Red Cliff from cabin on Wednesday.
8868CabinSunsetView.JPG

Next is the lower third of Wiggle to skiers right of Monte Wolfe that starts at top of ridgeline lookers left on Cornice.
8874LowerThirdOfWiggle.JPG

This show top of Wiggle. Taken on Wednesday from Wall chair.
8824WiggleForever.JPG

The Wall at almost 3. Notch at right would require removing skis and a hike to get to top from the back.
8877Wall@3.JPG

Last edited:
Friday 4/19
Friend I was staying with at his Kirkwood cabin and I drove separately the mile or so to VIP lot and loaded Reut chair about 9:30 and skied Buckboard groomer to Cornice chair. Road to Buckboard was a little slow, maybe I was burning
8878NorthBySwix.JPG
in rub-on wax while N-facing groomer was fast. We took three laps on Cornice skiing Zachary’s twice and Sentinel once before my friend had to return to cabin for work-related 11 am meeting. I skied to The Wall and found 4ster who was on day 121 of his season waiting for me. He grew up in San Jose and has brothers who went to same high school as me. He has places in Ogden, where he spends Winter and So. Tahoe, Senior Tahoe Value, Ikon (probably will drop this for next year), Powder Mountain and Snowbasin passes and had 165 days last season. He warned me top of Wall was very firm. We skied very good snow in E-facing Eagle Bowl.

We went to Backside that we would ride 5x, skiing ungroomed Hully Gully, then groomed Happiness Is and some of the ungroomed next to The Wave and twice hiking out past The Wave with long enough hike the first time to look at side/back-country that SkiTracks called it a lift. Round Top at left. California Chute in center. Dog Leg behind 4ster looks good.
8879Fourster.JPG

We returned to front-side skiing main entry into Thunder Saddle with me cutting into some of the smooth aprons below cliffs, then skied a tight chute into Devil’s Corral. We had a little slog across long flat to get to chair 2. We rode it and skied, then poled to hit some W-facing in High Whiskey and returned to groomed Low Whiskey and the Reut. We rode and skied The Wall, traversing into All The Way chute where usual narrow steep choke was not an issue, but I lost 4ster who was quitting early. At the base of the Wall I saw signs for Dogs for Dogs ($10 donation to ski patrol for avy dogs for a hot dog and soda), but it was already close to 1 pm end of event and I realized I’d left my sandwich in SUV (thankfully under a jacket so it was not baked in the hot sun in SUV with windows cracked open) so I skied to parking lot and had sandwich with a Heineken and snacks.

After lunch, where I’d dropped my vest and skied in a zip-neck base layer with a water bottle in pants, I did short hike to the Reut where Race Course was still fast, but the flat at the base was getting a little slow. I rode The Wall and skied lookers right ungroomed Spring snow. I then rode Cornice twice, skiing empty Sentinel, then Olympic to steeps I’ve enjoyed many time on looker’s right. I returned to The Wall and skied Notch Chute, looking at, but declining Big Boy entrance off Wall and found great snow on chute walls but choke more challenging than earlier chute I’d skied.
8886NotchChoke.JPG

The Wall at almost 330. I call the steep drop at right the Big Boy entrance. Snow below it was very good.
8891TheWall@330.JPG

I finished my three days at Kirkwood skiing upper Headwaters (below peak, had to skip lower to get to Norms)
8890Lower+UpperHeadwaters.JPG

going around top of Norms Nose and skiing steep N-face (Norms at top, Race Course in foreground)
8888Norms.JPG
then traversing left to get to groomed Conestoga skiing in shade of trees as much as possible. I quit at 335 with 24,550’ from 15 slow and 5 high-speed lifts. Early Kirkwood map on wall in Monte Wolfe cafeteria.
8881MontesMap.JPG
Today (4/20) when my pass is blacked out is Kirkwood's pond skim so they built this over last two days. Umbrella bar between lodge buildings. We sat at tables in shade of it for lunch on Thursday. AFAIK Red Cliffs Lodge in background is nearly unused other than very expensive and limited store and US Post Office on ground floor. Too far from lifts.
8885Pond+UmbrellaBar.JPG

My three day total was 76,750 vertical. Kirkwood is not an easy place for high vertical as Cornice is the only steep high-speed lift. The Wall and Backside lifts serve some of the most interesting terrain, but are 13- and 12-minute rides respectively without any stoppages. (During the Tahoe gathering after early March big storm, I had a three-day total of 83K skiing Northstar, Palisades and Northstar. Note: Northstar was not part of Gathering, but on my pass.)

SkiTracks stopped by 3PM on my less than 6 months old iPhone on Wednesday at 26K when battery got down to 20% and would will not stay on if re-started. I had spent enough time on Backside where cell coverage is spotty/non-existent which is hard on battery and was listening to a book on many slow lifts, music while skiing and surfing the web on lifts with good coverage. SkiTracks did not work right on Thursday (even after restart) as I had it running from 10-320, but it only counted 29 vertical feet. I updated app overnight which got it going again and appeared to add colors to map for speed I was skiing. With only a stop and short but slow line at Lockeford Meats for some of their sausage, I made it home in 3 and 1/2 hours. Since I only went to Kirkwood, my trip total mileage was 360.

Last edited:
Kirkwood is not an easy place for high vertical as Cornice is the only steep high-speed lift. The Wall and Backside lifts serve some of the most interesting terrain, but are 13- and 12-minute rides respectively without any stoppages.
Kirkwood has never had lift verticals on its trail map. I recall having to go into an office in the 1980's to get that info. But surely tseeb should have this vertical memorized by now as much as he skis Kirkwood. :icon-lol:

Last edited:
Kirkwood has never had lift verticals on its trail map. I recall having to go into an office in the 1980's to get that info. But surely tseeb should have this vertical memorized by now as much as he skis Kirkwood. :icon-lol:
Not sure if you missed my point that riding many slow lifts at Kirkwood makes it harder to get high vertical.

They have verticals listed on 1973 map that I took photo of and posted above, but the only lifts I usually ride of their original four are chair 2 to get to Backside, Whiskey runs and T-bar (which was running for a while but not loading on Friday and was listed on a board at one of the chair bases as Kirkwood's oldest lifts, but that includes when it was at another ski area, and chair 4 which has been upgraded to a Quad, but needs to be high-speed.

You have to take Kirkwood's info with a grain of salt. Sign at the top of The Wall says elevation 9,651', but SkiTracks says the highest I got on the two days it was working at Kirkwood was a little under 9,500'. Their app is even worse.
My lifts/vertical From my Epic App which used to have time you loaded Vail California
from SkiTracks or Watch lifts in Mountain Time but now has mixture of Pacific and Mtn times
Wed 25/28.2K 12/13,002
Thu 20/24 12/14,431
Fri 20/24.6 9/11,657

A few photos from camera of area we traversed and hiked to from chair 4. First is Covered Wagon Peak, named for nearby pass to right, the highest place covered wagons crossed the Sierra. Circle marks about where we hiked to. 4ster skied straight down from there while I skied low angle bowl, then left tracks just to left of trees at right.
0002CoveredWagonZoom.JPG

4ster went off The Wave (cornice) then traversed while I stayed above it and eight-ed his tracks to right of trees.
0007CoveredW2Wave8s.JPG

Our tracks start in traverse marks. N-facing snow was very nice in this area at a little before and just after noon.
0008CoveredWagons8s.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if you missed my point that riding many slow lifts at Kirkwood makes it harder to get high vertical.
Not at all. I agree that Kirkwood is a difficult mountain to rack up big verticals with key lifts being slow speed. But tseeb often complains that EpicMix is not always accurate, and I distrust depending on battery gobbling phone apps. I occasional "audit" my watch at areas where I know all the lift verticals, those being Mammoth and the SoCal locals. Heavenly and Kirkwood are the analogous resorts for tseeb in terms of frequency skied.

But tseeb often complains that EpicMix is not always accurate, and I distrust depending on battery gobbling phone apps.
"EpicMix is not always accurate" is an understatement for Kirkwood this season, but maybe some of the missing lifts last week were due to no line so I usually breezed under the EpicMix scanner. More likely is that some lift never were counted. Surprisingly, the new-to-me Avocet watch you sold me was usually just under what SkiTracks counted, often within .5%.

Photo of me posted by 4ster on SkiTalk. We poled to lowest horizon in front of me so he could look at side- or back-country he's toured before, returning to chair 4.
8644TonyCoveredWagonBy4ster.jpeg

Round Top (looks better from N) is to left behind me. Following is from wikipedia: "10,381-foot (3,164 m) mountain located on the Sierra crest in Alpine County, California, United States. Its summit is the highest point in Eldorado National Forest and the Mokelumne Wilderness. The mountain lies just south of Carson Pass. With 2,541 feet (774 m) of prominence, Round Top is the 16th most prominent mountain in the Sierra Nevada."

Last edited:
I believe Kirkwood, like many, is listing their top elevation as the top of the peak (eg top of Thimble which rises above the Wall lift).

Lift Blog can usually get you what you want in terms of lift specs. Partial snippet for Kirkwood lifts:
Lift NameTypeManufacturerYears of OperationCapacityVertical RiseLength
1 Snowkirk TripleYan1972-1,2004253,415
2 Caples Crest TripleYan1972-1,2005852,680
3 Iron Horse DoubleYan1972-1,2004002,260
4 Sunrise QuadGaraventa CTEC1998-2,0001,2025,080
5 Solitude TripleYan1973-1,1007472,940
6 Cornice Express High Speed QuadDoppelmayr2000-2,4001,3633,892
7 Timber Creek Express High Speed QuadDoppelmayr CTEC2005-2,4004802,767
9 Bunny TripleYan1977-1,2001691,420
10 The Wall TripleYan1984-1,8001,6155,748
11 The Reut TripleYan1986-1,8008553,828
Lookout Vista T-BarDoppelmayr2008-7502611,222

Early Kirkwood map on wall in Monte Wolfe cafeteria.
8881MontesMap.JPG

I had no idea Sunrise/Backside was the first developed area at Kirkwood. Interesting.

Vail certainly has not invested much in its infrastructure. There are a few candidates for high-speed lift upgrades, namely Sunrise/Backside and maybe a low capacity HS Wall lift.

SkiTracks stopped by 3PM on my less than 6 months old iPhone on Wednesday at 26K when battery got down to 20% and would will not stay on if re-started. I had spent enough time on Backside where cell coverage is spotty/non-existent which is hard on battery and was listening to a book on many slow lifts, music while skiing and surfing the web on lifts with good coverage.

I typically turn my SkiTracks in Airplane Mode most of the time. On a 3-year-old iPhone 13 Pro Max, I might lose 20% of the charge. Or put it in Low Power Mode.

I did not have issues with the app until I had about 10% power.

Back