Monarch, CO, March 23, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Saturday was a relocation day from Gunnison to our friend Paul's place in Eagle. Monarch was the logical place to ski on the way, and in fairness Saturday was probably not a great ski day anywhere in Colorado. The prior week had warm spring conditions and Saturday was cloudy in advance of incoming weather.

Elevation range of 10,820-11,950 feet is very high, so there was some hope for winter snow but it was extremely limited. Nonetheless the warm up groomers on the Pioneer and Garfield lifts were in good shape. We then ventured into a short section of trees off Garfield that I thought were somewhat north facing, but in reality were more west and solidly frozen. View of those trees from the top of the Panorama lift a few minutes later:
IMG_5639.JPG

The best winter snow was on the Short & Sweet and Turbo runs skier's right on Panorama. View to the base from Turbo:
IMG_5638.JPG

Turbo had some bumps but I suspect had been groomed a few days before.

We ventured skier's left into High Anxiety, which had frozen death cookies. I traversed to ski under Panorama liftline, which was still frozen granular but at least skier packed.

We skied groomed Ticaboo.
IMG_5640.JPG

Then continued on to the Breezeway chair.

Riding Breezeway gives you a good view of Panorama's terrain.
IMG_5644.JPG

And also the NW side of Garfield:
IMG_5645.JPG

I recalled from my prior day in 2001 that Breezeway's runs softened to pleasant spring skiing. This process started with some morning sunny breaks but was arrested by the increasing overcast.
IMG_5650.JPG

Breezeway is also the gateway to Monarch's Mirkwood slackcountry.
IMG_5646.JPG

We returned to Garfield. View south from there to Monarch Pass and a scenic chairlift:
IMG_5652.JPG

I thought Upper No Name might be favorably exposed, so we traversed under the lift to get there.
IMG_5653.JPG

It was also refrozen, but Lower No Name was pristine groomed as few people took the trouble to go there.
IMG_5654.JPG

We left at 2:30 just in case the weather deteriorated driving through Leadville and Tennessee Pass, but it was no problem. Liz at the 10th Mountain Division Memorial, specifically a Norwegian American brigade that helped liberate Norway in 1945.
IMG_5655.JPG

Monarch is quite skimpy on vertical by western standards. All the lifts are slow and none are over 850 vertical feet. we skied 17 runs totaling 14,000 vertical in a little under 4 hours. From the pictures you can see that trees are well spaced, so it was unfortunate that ungroomed conditions were not good today.

Monarch has gone to RFID and evidently there is a break on ticket prices ordered online in advance. Monarch is relatively liberal for seniors. Adult window price is $129, age 62-68 is $99, and 69 and older are free.

1765 days as shown in Iifetime summary through last season. To that you can add the 43 so far this season. Three more are coming on this trip, then a break while we go to Mazatlan for the April 8 eclipse.
1800 days. Impressive. 5 full years of skiing would be up there with the most avid of non professional skiers.
I'm laughing at the number of ski days "East of the Rockies". That vicinity is relatively accessible for you. Are you trying to tell us something?

I've skied Monarch on a few storm days and the rest were bluebird, never an ugly overcast day like that. Too bad about the meh conditions but you've had a very good run on this trip.

our friend Paul's place in Eagle
The artist formerly known as SCSA? We just passed the 20-year anniversary of the Epicski Gathering in Jackson Hole that he hijacked! :icon-lol:

Yes, but the EpicSki Gatherings at Jackson were at the beginning of February back then.

SCSA has not had a drop of alcohol or drugs since 2007. He and his wife Renee are also vegan. Renee does some very creative cooking.

Yes, but the EpicSki Gatherings at Jackson were at the beginning of February back then.
We were already following the Crocker Rule before it was widely accepted as a best practice. :icon-smile:

Good to hear about SCSA. Even back then, he was well-known for being acquainted with every square inch of the Vail Group. He always referred to Vail as "The Big Show."

Back