Northstar, CA March 28, 2024

tseeb

I left San Jose at 4:20 and got to Northstar in 4 hours, parking close to Highlands gondola that I loaded before 9. There was chain control the last 30 miles, but I-80 moved well. I went to Backside first thing for 5 laps, skiing a lot of untracked. Photo from chair.
8613BoarderUnderBackside.JPG

The storm was a bust according to OpenSnow with only half the predicted new snow. Northstar reported 5". Palisades has 8", but much higher winds and competition for powder. Northstar has some great tree spacing. This is skiers left of The Islands.
8614OffTheIslandBefore10.JPG

Next I did 4 laps on Comstock skiing off the East Ridge, starting with Redezvous lift line, then dropped in before Tonini's and skied trees on both sides of The Chute. Then I moved to Vista for a couple of laps and found this just before noon by following ropeline along closed for racing run. It was good enough that I repeated it later finding not many more tracks.
8615BelowRaceCourceAlmostNoon.JPG

I skied some glades off Lookout after a break at Zephyr Lodge including Sugar Pine Glades twice and almost to ropeline in Lookout Glades once. But there was lightly tracked available in many places along edge of narrowly groomed runs. This is next to Washoe at almost 2.
8617EdgeOfWashoeAlmost2.JPG

I got tired in PM, but kept going until a little after 3 and finished with my first 30K day of the year. Friend I stayed with and I went to new Raley's by Truckee Aiport for a pizza that we ate in McKinney Lounge that overlooks the store.
8620McKinneyLounge.JPG
8621McKinneyClose.JPG

From OpenSnow Tahoe that day:

“What happened is that the band of precipitation with the cold front fell apart as it reached the northern Sierra, when the models had that happening after if moved south of Tahoe. I was looking at the radar last night and it looked like something was wrong, but I went to sleep hoping I was wrong. Unfortunately, I wasn't...

The ski areas are reporting 2-10 inches of new snow overnight, which is half of the final forecast I had for 6-20 inches”

But the weekend storm over-delivered.

Back