Purgatory, CO, March 9, 2024

EMSC

Our fearless leaders plan was to keep the drives ever shorter as the trip went on for the Durango Based trip. The obvious answer for day 3 for the main crew was Purgatory, being only 30min away.

At some point a decision was made to narrow down to two cars from 3 given the weekend and prime parking for HOV 4+ at Purgatory. Unfortunately that meant a forgotten helmet 10 min into the drive, turn around and then back up the road, squeaking into the HOV lot ~10 minutes before it was full. the advanced group was figuring a day of cruisers given the trail map and that's a big part of what occurred, but there were some surprises for us.

Firstly, the terrain is a bit benchy on many lifts like Wolf Creek, though the benches have more pitch to them making them far less annoying. Also there are TONS of various rollovers, pitches and etc... making the terrain more interesting than anticipated. There are even a handful of spots with decent pitch once you look closely at the map.
Purg Map.JPG

To be sure the lowest portion of the hill on Steeps was a bit thin, but not really any more so than say, very bottom of Plunge in Telluride. We pretty much spent the whole day on the Backside. Hermos Park was mostly rolling short pitches with confusing cross cross, get lost options. I though the terrain served by the ancient old center pole Grizzly double was some of the more consistently pitched terrain on the backside. The exception to that is above the Grizzly 'mid' station. It is completely flat above the mid-station on that old double. Not even sure why they ran it so many towers further along. With Legends lift area being a decent pitch followed by basically low angle blue until the bottom few hundred verts pitched down pretty steeply. I only put one run into the GPS watch just to measure speed coming off the bottom pitch which was groomed and with a wide open flat valley at the bottom you could ignore turns on the bottom hundred or so verts... The answer for my late afternoon run was only 48.3MPH max speed. But then, I wasn't pushing it at all either. So the general public was probably hitting roughly that speed too.

It was mostly sunny and plenty warm enough to fully transition parts of the East facing frontside (lower half-ish). Also flat areas, but not really much change to snow on most of the hill which faces North.

Small multi-story base area. Too small for much, but a few retail stores in there.
Image00030.jpg

Image00031.jpg

Image00032.jpg

Image00033.jpg

Image00036.jpg

You don't see many center Pole doubles anymore. Purgatory has two of them. Grizzly lift here.
Image00037.jpg

Image00038.jpg

The whole group kept referring to this as Dante's Inferno all day long.
Image00040.jpg

Image00041.jpg

Surprising amount of Spanish Moss in the higher elevation trees.
Image00042.jpg

Moss-tache?
Image00043.jpg

Very modernistic glass cab on the back of this sight seeing tour cat.
Image00044.jpg

I found two of these built in the woods. I still can't figure if they are for MTB or Snowboards.
Image00045.jpg

The backside valley where 3 lift bases are is nearly pan flat.
Image00046.jpg

Thumbs up to McCormacks Maze glade. Very wide and long (far right of trail map).
Image00047.jpg

top of Legends lift. The short Paul's Park glade lookers left is good as well.
Image00048.jpg

Always nice to end the day with sun, band and drink...
Image00049.jpg

Our fearless leader's plan was to keep the drives ever shorter as the trip went on for the Durango Based trip.
Thanks for all these reports. I've considered doing a similar road trip (minus the heli) and couldn't figure out a way to avoid all that driving either. Another itinerary that I'll only attempt when armed with more leisure time.

You don't see many center Pole doubles anymore.
True only if you ski mainly at the Ikon/Epic Pass joints. :eusa-naughty: I noted a while back that there are still lots of Riblets in operation throughout the Rockies. Just from places I've skied: Sunlight, Powderhorn, Cooper, 49 Degrees, Silver, Schweitzer, Sandia Peak, Lookout Pass, Sundance, Mount Spokane, Grand Targhee, Santa Fe, Angel Fire, Red River, Sipapu, Pajarito, etc. I'm sure that there are many in the Pacific Northwest and California.

there are TONS of various rollovers, pitches and etc... making the terrain more interesting than anticipated.
Interesting enough to keep you and the other expert skiers in your group occupied for a day?

I've mentioned before -- I'm glad that they continue to use their vintage logo:
:eusa-clap:
1710506652135.png

I'm not a fan of that center-pole chair, especially how they usually don't have safety bars.
First time I ever skied Aspen Highlands it had a no safety bar center pole double that went right over the the super narrow part of the ridge line up top (like 2 groomers wide with very steep drop either side that still exists up top). At the time I couldn't believe they had such a chair in such a spot on the mountain.

Though so many chairs in Colo have no bar that I'm simply used to it now. That said, Copper bizarrely added new comfort bars to Blackjack and Mtn Chief lifts in Copper bowl over the summer (both standard double chairs). Must have been a lawsuit/fall off one of them I guess?

That one at Silver Mtn we rode up together (where I hugged you most of the time) was not fun.
Hah, I don't recall that but glad to have provided a modicum of comfort.

First time I ever skied Aspen Highlands it had a no safety bar center pole double (...) I couldn't believe they had such a chair in such a spot on the mountain.
The center pole double with no safety bar that always creeped me out was the old Millicent chair at Brighton, yikes. When it was windy, I remember gripping the seatback at the point where it was really high off the ground.

Purgatory is a lovely mountain - nothing extreme, but fun. It's somewhat unique in that you will almost always get a 2,000-vertical ft groomer. A lot of the runs bleed together in my memory - somewhat hard to distinguish between everything.

I though the terrain served by the ancient old center pole Grizzly double was some of the more consistently pitched terrain on the backside. The exception to that is above the Grizzly 'mid' station. It is completely flat above the mid-station on that old double.

Some of the bumps off of that lift are pretty fun. Steep enough but well-formed.

Our fearless leaders plan was to keep the drives ever shorter as the trip went on for the Durango Based trip. The obvious answer for day 3 for the main crew was Purgatory, being only 30min away.

Durango is a bit of a drive everywhere. Perhaps one of the last affordable Colorado mountain towns.

Silverton and Pagosa Springs bases might have lessened it. You would know everyone in Silverton in 2 days - but you have decent access to Silverton, Telluride, and Purgatory.

Back