See Austria - February 10, 2024.

Sbooker

After being at a busy St Anton the day before I wanted to have a day without battling crowds so decided to go to one of the region’s small ski areas.
My skiing partner wanted a day off after being knocked over the day prior and we both had mild flu like issues. I headed off to See which is only 15 minutes from our hotel. I suspected it too would be busy given it was a Saturday.
There were only a couple of people at the ticket office at 8.30am. The day pass was 59 Euro. The gondola from town takes you up to 1800 metres and most of the skiing is above that point. The top of the mountain is served by two chairs and two gondolas.
IMG_9574.jpeg

The area is generally north west facing so is protected from sun until late in the day. Conditions were firm on piste early on but not overly so. The hill was deserted compared to the previous day.
IMG_9553.jpeg

The pic below is looking down the valley to Kappl and Ischgl.

IMG_9557.jpeg

Hardly Instagram worthy but a place for a picture anyway.

IMG_9558.jpeg

There are quite a few ski routes - most in a big bowl on lookers left of the mountain. The snow was very variable from wind hardened to beautifully chalky smooth. Overall they were really fun so I spent most of the day lapping these routes.

IMG_9559.jpeg

IMG_9566.jpeg

IMG_9568.jpeg

IMG_9573.jpeg

You can’t see too many people in my pictures because there were virtually only what seemed like a few dozen people on the hill the entire day. I suspected it might get busier as the day wore on but it didn’t. (The area just above the gondola where the kids learn and the kid’s race area had some action though).
Piste conditions stayed nice until when I left at 3.30pm. The below shot is of the piste to the bottom late in the day.

IMG_9578.jpeg

I had a great day. Conditions compared to the previous day were like chalk and cheese really. It’s unfortunate Kylie sat the day out as she would have had an absolute ball.
I’ll be spending more time at ‘under the radar’ resorts in the future.

Glad that you had a relaxing non-industrial day! I remember the valley run into town on the far looker's right being pleasant at the end of the day.

You can’t see too many people in my pictures because there were virtually only what seemed like a few dozen people on the hill the entire day. I suspected it might get busier as the day wore on but it didn’t.
The conventional wisdom at major Alps resorts is that Saturday (changeover day) is noticeably less busy on-mountain; however, that wouldn't seem to apply to a strictly locals mountain.

I had an excellent morning at the other nearby ski area Kappl.

1707907998732.png

Minimizing crowds is a recipe for much better on piste conditions. (y) At the big places I'm always looking for the far flung corners.

From the map the elevation range looks similar to La Thuile which we enjoyed Feb. 2. I suspect sbooker downloaded from 1800 as we did then.

Was Feb. 10 sbooker’s last ski day? If not it’s I hope he’s way under the radar because this week is the trifecta of British, French and Mandi Gras holiday weeks.

Last edited:
Back