Snowbird, UT 24 - 31 Mar 2024, powder day(s)

jimk

Day started with a drive up LCC, took about 80 mins vs usual 20. The wasatch hadn't seen this much fresh powder since about 13/14 March so the crowds were out to get their Sunday fix.

The one foot new snow stuck to trees in lower canyon like cotton candy.
snowy trees 24 march.jpg

Visibility ranged from very poor to not too bad. It snowed most of the day adding perhaps another 5 or 6 to 12" last night.
dark day 24 march.jpg

I skied with a friend that goes by Wasatchman, fun but demanding day.
al pow 24 march.jpg

Split our time between Peruvian Gulch and Mineral Basin.

al tram 24 march.jpg

The access road was closed for avi mitigation approx 1 to 330 pm. Crowds diminished in anticipation of closure.
We left mtn about 4pm and zipped right down. Best powder day in 2 or 3 weeks for me. I missed the last good one around March 13.

Apreski, this is for @tseeb , Moosehead is a Canadian lager from St. John, New Brunswick. I drank some in New Brunswick in October and brought some to UT.
hot tub 24 march.jpg

Apreski, this is for @tseeb, Moosehead is a Canadian lager from St. John, New Brunswick. I drank some in New Brunswick in October and brought some to UT.
Growing up in Central NY in the 70s, Moosehead was very popular at high-school parties because it was believed to be stronger than typical American beers of the time and successfully positioned as a quasi craft brew. Interesting to learn via Wikipedia: "Once a popular premium import beer in the United States that was distributed by RJR Nabisco, Moosehead lost vast market share in the 1980s when it lowered its price in an attempt to compete with larger US brewers on price instead of quality and prestige."

I'm not crazy about the updated label. This is the darker, creepier logo that I recall from back then:

1711452918051.jpeg

Interesting, Moosehead was around but not popular by the mid-late 80s in my part of upstate.

Interesting, Moosehead was around but not popular by the mid-late 80s in my part of upstate.
Thus underscoring the Wikipedia note about Moosehead losing vast market share in the 80s. A very quick reversal of fortune from its glory days in the late 70s.

Moosehead was never well known in my stomping grounds, the Mid-Atlantic US. I think you guys are trying to tell me in a nice way that Moosehead is the Old Milwaukee of Eastern Canada ;)
It is 5% ABV, which I guess is a little strong for a lager.

The last week of March has been really good in the Wasatch. Got out six of last eight days. Just a guess, but perhaps 3-4 feet in last 8 days, coming in nice 4-8" dumps almost every day. Not a single huge dump to bring out the hordes, but cumulative effect really great last few days.
March 24 Snowbird
tram march 24.jpg
al march 24 snowbird.jpg

March 26 Snowbird, Gad2 area
john march 26 bird.jpg

March 29 Eye of the Needle, Snowbird
looking up eye of the needle 29 march snowbird.jpg

March 30, Brighton, trees near Crest chair

vince trees brighton 30 march.jpg

No lines at Snake Creek chair
snake creek empty 30 march.jpg

Cliffy area near Milly terrain.
cliffy area near milly 30 march.jpg

March 31, Snowbird, very snowy Gad2 liftline.
snowy gad2 lift line 31 march.jpg

Got a great solitary run through about 2 feet of chopped up powder in Thunder Bowl off Tiger Tail area.
jim thunder bowl snowbird 31 march.jpg

Last edited:
Back