Stagecoach Mountain, CO

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I'm surprised that I beat EMSC to this story, which is 11 days early for April Fools, so it must be true? Company behind Montana’s Yellowstone Club coming to Colorado with similar development near Steamboat Springs: article.

Here's what looks like a previous plan to redevelop the old ski area?
Stagecoach is naturally endowed with an unequaled wealth of ski-in, ski-out sites for single family housing & ski-in, ski-out density housing, which will allow residents to ski out their doors in winter and hike or bike out during summer. Stagecoach can also be a solution for Steamboat’s housing crisis, caused by Steamboat’s lack of buildable land. Stagecoach plans to also provide density housing and smaller houses for the workforces of Steamboat and Stagecoach.

I've been through that area in summer. A fair number of rather aged condos mixed with some treeless lots holding high-end houses, mostly near the lake/State Park.

Be interesting to see if it ever happens. Proposals to resurrect the place are a near annual tradition at this point. The terrain is lower and far less interesting than Steamboat IMO. It tops out at about the base of Eldora, or more than 1K less than Steamboat for elevation. Though it does face NE instead of W. You can tell how low angle it is by the way they mixed in proposed housing all over the mountain in the diagram. It won't be much for skiing really, unless you are an uber-rich intermediate who likes to ski tree lined runs only.

History of the place: Lost Ski area info

It'll take a fortune to even figure out basic infrastructure at this point. I'm not sure who the super rich folks are that would buy here vs Wasatch Peaks Ranch with much better views, terrain, snow, etc... Which is why it has never been resurrected thus far. I could see it appealing far more to families by providing a lower cost mellow terrain option as a counter point to Steamboat as to prices, crowds, etc... eg relief valve as Steamboat is now crazy priced housing and all.

Proposals to resurrect the place are a near annual tradition at this point.
Exactly what I've noted over over the years since I first ran across it on the Colorado Ski History site in the early 00s (BTW, it would be great if someone could update the out-of-date interface). As you note, "relief valve for Steamboat" appears to be its key selling point.

Back