Tuckerman Ravine, April 28, 1990

Excellent report and nice to see people hiking/skiing Tuckerman in jeans back then. They must've been soaked even before clicking into his skis. :eusa-clap:

Tuckerman015.jpg

Wow… my first visit with skis would happen the following month during Victoria Day long weekend when numerous Canadians make their pilgrimage from my second visit.

Here is one of my retrospective TRs:

Great TR from Patrick.
Lucky and I were somewhat impressed by the intimidating entry, although I had been out to West and skied Saudan Couloir (now named Couloir Extreme) at Blackcomb in June 1988.
Though I had far less ski ability than college racers, Left Gully is a very close match for Wipe Out 1 at Mammoth so I felt some familiarity there. The "late spring" snow is also the most forgiving to me for skiing steep terrain. Patrick definitely had better coverage than I did. Nothing was skiable below Lunch Rocks on the way down on my day.

Patrick & company did not ski out via Hillman's Highway either. Has he ever done that? How hard is it to get there from top of Left Gully?

Last edited:
Great TR from Patrick.

Though I had far less ski ability than college racers, Left Gully is a very close match for Wipe Out 1 at Mammoth so I felt some familiarity there. The "late spring" snow is also the most forgiving to me for skiing steep terrain. Patrick definitely had better coverage than I did. Nothing was skiable below Lunch Rocks on the way downon my day.

Patrick & company did not ski out via Hillman's Highway either. Has he ever done that? How hard is it to get there from top of Left Gully?

Didn’t touch HH on that trip, but the connection via the Little Headwall was still skiable although somewhat sketchy with an open waterfall just below you.

Do I hear rock at every turn?

Pacific snow sticks to almost anything, ending rock season quite early. Not so much for Colorado.

No I'm fairly sure that was a partially frozen crust. Still a very talented skier to handle that stuff fluidly in tight quarters.
I don't even consider what some of the "extreme" skiers do on extremely steep (and narrow) terrain (like here) to be even "skiing". They just throw their skis back and forth across the fall line (with "jump turns") and try to set an edge to stop their momentum down the slope. IMHO, more like survival skiing. No doubt it requires some skiing skill and very strong legs and upper bodies to make a series of these turns but not the same skiing fluidity and skill of a talented skier arcing turns down a slope. However, I do understand the challenge of it (and some of it I consider to be dangerously stupid). I also admit I watch way too many Youtube videos of such skiing antics.

Back