Utah Feb 2-9, 2024

I hide in the trees at PC on storm days...
This January that proved effective in the crazy windy storms...

My two passes (Snowbird senior and Ikon base) give me exactly 1 day at Alta. Too bad, because it's one of the all time great places to be on a storm day. Lots of skiing in and near trees.

Now that I'm a geezer I have more trouble with low visibility days. Gotta be very careful not to go off the steep edge of a cat track or plow into an unseen rogue mogul. At Snowbird the Gad 2 chair is the place to be on low viz days. Mineral Basin is NOT the place to be unless you have the luck of Mr. Magoo.

I was at Solitude, UT on Feb 2, 2024. It was a storm day with about 6" new snow. I had two friends who knew the mtn well. We had a fine day by skiing in trees beside the summit lift and in Honeycomb Canyon. Didn't ski the Powderhorn lift once that day. It serves some of the more open terrain on the front face of the mtn. It would have been a lot less fun without the friends leading that day.

Feb 2, Solitude, UT
kim soli feb 2.jpg
al kim soli feb 2 headwall.jpg
feb 2 al soli scree.jpg

My two passes (Snowbird senior and Ikon base) give me exactly 1 day at Alta.
If I were living in Utah for a whole season I would definitely pay up for the AltaBird pass. We love with our full Ikons being able to go back and forth on the fly during Iron Blosam week. While I prefer Snowbird overall to Alta, there are days/scenarios where Alta is better and I value that flexibility a lot.

Back