Vail: Epic Pass Sales and Strategy

ChrisC

Here are some interesting tidbits from Vail's 24Q1 Conference Call.
  • Epic Pass Sales are up, and revenues are even higher since they are pricier.
  • The total number of pass sales increased by 4%, and due to the company’s decision to raise its pre-sale pass prices, total sales revenue increased by 11%.
But more interesting:

New markets​

Much of the talk at Thursday’s earnings call revolved around Vail Resorts’ creation of a new pass-selling market in Europe.​
On Nov. 30, the company announced it had agreed to acquire its 42nd ski area, Crans-Montana Mountain Resort in Switzerland. Vail Resorts had also purchased a 55-percent ownership stake in the resort operations of Andermatt-Sedrun in Switzerland 16 months earlier, in August 2022.​
Lynch said when it comes to the acquisition of more European resorts, she hopes the company’s pace will become even more rapid, although it’s hard to predict what will become available when.​
“It’s so driven by the market dynamics and the owners of these assets and where they are and what they’re interested in doing, but we certainly hope to see here that we will continue to make progress on Europe,” Lynch told analyst Patrick Scholes. “We have been focused on Europe as this market is a big opportunity for growth for a long time, so we’re very encouraged to have Andermat-Sedrun and Crans-Montana here over the last couple of years, and the market there is almost three times the size of the number of skier visits as North America, so we hope to continue to make progress with the aspirations to build a network there, but no idea how fast that pace is going to be.”​

Slightly off topic, I wonder what the ratio is of North American skiers that vacation in the Alps vs. European skiers that vacation at North American ski resorts? I would guess more of us visit them, than they visit us??

I wonder what the ratio is of North American skiers that vacation in the Alps vs. European skiers that vacation at North American ski resorts? I would guess more of us visit them, than they visit us??
Maybe our King of Statistics knows how to dig up those figures -- I'd like to know. I suspect that you're correct and by a wide margin. If you want to know what German-speakers think of their visits to this side of the Atlantic, here are North America reports on Alpinforum ready to be run through Google Translate (the comments are for the most part positive but it's interesting to see the differences that they note). If you scroll down, you can see a few that I posted in 2015 and 2016.

It would be interesting, but it depends on the resorts. You will find a lot of UK visitors at Whistler, Banff, Heavenly, Breckenridge, Aspen, etc - the ones some package tours promote. My UK friends were getting a bit tired of suboptimal conditions in the Alps - rain, queues, etc. - and perceived NA as a more consistent experience -snow, lessons, etc. Seen lots of Germans in Canada doing Powder Highway and heli/cat.

My experience of seeing American skiers in Europe - lots in Zermatt, Chamonix - the big name brands. Alternatively, I never heard an American accent at St. Anton/Lech, Val d'Isere, Courmayeur, St. Moritz, Verbier, etc. The Americans are around, obviously - I just did not see/hear as many. Generally, I would reach out if I did hear someone speaking 'American'.

Funnily, in Japan in 2020, I could not stop running into American skiers in Tokyo and other places on Hokkaido. The US skier dirtbag/powder look stands out (taller, NA ski brands, sloppier dress than Asians) - and they all had Epic or Ikon passes and were ready to ski - seeking JaPOW.

Per the 2022 Vanat report, only 6% of U.S. skier visits are from foreigners. Per the 2017 Kottke demographic report, 4.3% of U.S. skier visits were from foreigners. Both figures presumably include Canadians and Latin Americans. The Canadian heli operations definitely attract some Euros; Snowcat lodges not so much.

As for Americans in the Alps, the raw numbers might be enough for us to notice them occasionally, but as a percent of the huge volume, we're surely a drop in the bucket.

Per Vanat, top 10 cross border ski markets, no actual numbers provided:
1) Germany to Austria
2) Germany to Italy
3) UK to France
4) Netherlands to Austria
5) Germany to Switzerland
6) UK to Austria
7) Netherlands to France
8) Belgium to France
9) Switzerland to Austria
10) U.S. to Canada

Vanat quote:
There are only 2 major markets worldwide where international customers represent more than half of skier visits. In Andorra and Austria, foreign customers rep-resent respectively 94% and 66% of all skier visits.
The markets in Chile, New Zealand, Switzerland and Italy are 58%, 64%, 65% and 65% domestic skiers. France is 73%% domestic, Canada 88% and Japan 90%.

Last edited:
The US skier dirtbag/powder look stands out (taller, NA ski brands, sloppier dress than Asians) - and they all had Epic or Ikon passes and were ready to ski - seeking JaPOW.
Only the accent would differentiate them from Australians.

Good input. I guess one of the thoughts behind my question is that maybe VR is hoping to sell epic passes to euros to ski at their Alpine resorts, but also lure them to make vacations to VRs North American resorts??

maybe VR is hoping to sell epic passes to euros to ski at their Alpine resorts, but also lure them to make vacations to VRs North American resorts??
Highly unlikely to succeed IMHO. In terms of volume, I'd bet that only the British have any obvious presence over here. That would be due to the language and that it takes a bit more work for them to get to the Alps than the continental Euros. And Vail's pricing and vertical integration models will never fly in Europe.

Last edited:
Back