Hickory Ski Center, NY 2/7/04

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really going to enjoy writing a feature on this living ski museum. 50 year-old pomas that launch you into next week while loading make the uphill climb as challenging as the downhill. I watched 200-pounders picked right up off the ground as they were slung skyward. <BR> <BR>Anyhoo, this is about conditions, right? Can you say "breakable crust"? Hickory grooms next to nothing (one half of one slope was rolled, as was the beginner area connecting the base lodge and the parking lot -- that's it) and they're closed Monday-Thursday. As a result, we had six or eight inches of fresh snowfall topped with a healthy glaze from Friday's freezing rain. We spent the day breaking crust. <BR> <BR>Or, rather, I spent the afternoon breaking crust. My morning was spent in a clinic to try telemark for the first time as part of the hill's first annual telemark fest. It was fun, for after an hour or so the light bulb flipped on and I actually seemed to "get it" more or less and was linking turns down the low-angle lower mountain. I won't, however, be giving up my fixed heels anytime soon. <BR> <BR>After lunch, I caught a lift in the old Thiokol Sprite to reach the upper poma (the lower poma and the t-bar both broke down simultaneously for an hour or so) and headed up to join the advanced telemark crew for a few runs on the upper mountain and in the woods. Gluttons for punishment, we were, as we spent nearly the entire time flailing in the crust. This place is a 1200 vertical-foot history lesson that will kick your arse. All of this for a paltry $25 cost of admission.

Marc: <BR>It was great to meet you at Hickory last Sat. Glad you enjoyed our mountain. We have a great group of regulars and fantastic terrain, as you found out. You ought to consider coming back up to Hickory on March 6, for the family follies, a day of skiing and fun for the whole family, fun races, blueberry the clown,pot luck dinner, and great skiing. <BR>Kirby Van Vleet

Thanks, Kirby. Alas, I'll be returning from a press trip to Alta, Snowbird and Park City on March 6. <BR> <BR>As I told you, I loved the place. While I showed up as a customer and not as a journalist, any notion of skipping the opportunity to write about Hickory quickly faded as the place charmed me. I'll be in touch with you and/or Martha in the near future with a list of questions. <BR> <BR>For the rest of you, Hickory is run as a semi-club that's nonetheless open to the public. The same guy you're making turns with one minute is loading the lift for an hour the next minute as a volunteer. It's a unique setup, and many of these folks grew up at Hickory as their parents were members. They've all got a very strong attachment to the place. Although I'm not 100% clear yet on all of the responsibilities, I believe that Kirby here was responsible for the Telefest and his wife Martha is the association's secretary. <BR> <BR>Oh, Kirby...one more note. I stopped by the ESWA meeting in Lake George en route home and bumped into Heather Atwell of the VSAA, who recounted her tales of growing up at Hickory. Small world.

Back