Lake Minnewaska, NY 9/23/08 (MTB)

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I'm starting a new job on Monday, so this is my last week of freedom. For the past 3.5 years, I've had my hands full with daddy business, which kept me from heading up to Minnewaska/Mohonk... and that just ain't right. Today was the day to make amends, so friend from Brooklyn Stephen and I drove up late this morning and rode all afternoon. If you've been there, you know that the Shawangunks are a whole different kettle of fish from the Catskills just a few miles to the north. The trails are mainly double-track "carriage roads," so if you're looking for a technical challenge, this isn't the place, but the Gunks deliver the scenics in spades.

Halfway through, we went swimming in Lake Awosting. Even though it's late September, I'd guess that the water was still near 70 degrees... beautiful.

Picture 023.jpg
Overlooking Lake Minnewaska

Picture 022.jpg

Picture 027.jpg
Along Lake Minnewaska

Picture 024.jpg
Hamilton Trail

Picture 032.jpg
Near Castle Point

Picture 037.jpg
Castle Point

Picture 038.jpg
Catskills in Background

Picture 042.jpg
Overhang

Picture 044.jpg
Riding Through the Dwarf Pitch Pine

Picture 046.jpg
Shawangunk Slick Rock

Picture 050.jpg
Swimming in Lake Awosting

Picture 056.jpg
Far End of Lake Awosting

James....sounds like a great time. Looks beautiful. It must have been extra enjoyable and relaxing with the new job coming up. I read somewhere the avg job search was 4 months. I know when I was looking that much time seemed a lot longer. Congrats all the way around.

We're finishing up a beautiful week in the Adks. Couldn't have asked for better weather or fall colors.

Harvey44":1fdrwze0 said:
We're finishing up a beautiful week in the Adks. Couldn't have asked for better weather or fall colors.

No pix or are you auditioning for Patrick's job? :wink:

As you can see, some trees in the Gunks are starting to change colors, but most are still green.

I thought about posting...but I wondered... who is really interested in what CB and I did with our 2.5 year old? It was pretty tame. And of course as you may remember...I'm saving up for a new camera, after crashing mine at Whiteface in April. CBs camera is a cheapo, and doesn't produce the color that my Sony did. Skies were deep blue every day, but it just doesn't show.

Since you asked, here are a few pictures. I'm a fan of September in the Adks. Even thought it might not be considered "peak" by most people...I like the maples...sugar and red...and they are the first to go.

Harv

Attachments

• Mom&Neve.jpg
    Mom&Neve.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5,587
  • GarnetHill.jpg
    GarnetHill.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5,588
  • Cabin.jpg
    Cabin.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 5,586
  • Neve&Sara.jpg
    Neve&Sara.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5,598
  • TreeHugger.jpg
    TreeHugger.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,586
  • LivingRoom.jpg
    LivingRoom.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 5,597
I noted the fall foliage in one of james' pictures too. Does it usually start that early?

I have keep reminding myself that California is unusual for September to still be full-on summer.

Tony Crocker":2nfjz37e said:
I noted the fall foliage in one of james' pictures too. Does it usually start that early?

Yes. The farther north you go and the higher you go, the earlier it starts. In central Vermont, you start seeing hints of it at 3000'+ elevation halfway into September and peak is around 10 days into October. It's mostly triggered by the length of daylight so there isn't all that much variation in the dates.

Southern New England is a couple of weeks later.

This map isn't exactly what I was looking for, or even all that accurate, but you can get the idea. You've also got different definitions of what peak really is.

From what we saw, this past week - I thought it things were turning later than usual.

Attachments

• foliage.jpg
    foliage.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5,515
I think this was taken in early October.

Attachments

• so2007_peakcolor.jpg
    so2007_peakcolor.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 5,502
Jay Peak Ski Patrol refresher was typically Columbus Day Weekend, and by then the leaves that far north at that altitude were entirely on the ground in most years.

One thing I noticed my first autumn here is that unlike the northeast, the highest elevations don't turn first -- the valleys do. I've never been able to figure out why that is, aside from cold air pooling in valleys, but that happens in the Northeast, too. :-k

Nice pix James!

I had a conference in the Catskills a few years ago and brought my mtn bike and cut out of the conference early to explore that Park. Yeah, simply gorgeous.

This weekend we had a really big change in the foliage. It was just a few trees up until the weekend, and now it is much more widespread here in Central NY. Sugar Maples and Red Maples are a blaze. The real yellows are just starting to come out. We usually peak on Columbus Day weekend, though the way things are going, it may be a bit earlier.

I'll take some pix when the sun comes out.

Autumn is my favorite season in NYC. However, the skier in me loves early spring. March is the best ski month... hands down!!! Even in the east coast march is the best.

Back