Classic Eastern ski trails

pointpeninsula

I've just started treeskiing myself. It reminds me somewhat of XC, which I've done since I was a freshman in high school. I prefer the tree lined narrow winding trails over the big football-field wide 'trails' that run top to bottom in a straight line. I need to explore more of the so-called classic New England trails in Vt, NH and Me.

Maybe admin should move this to a new thread.
I'm not very experienced, and have only been to a few of these mountains, but if I understand the rules of the game, how about these?

Sunday River Goat Path (or are 6-foot wide trails a little too narrow for inclusion in this list?) Blue, but I'd call parts of it Black when it gets roller-coastery
SR - Jungle Road Blue
I haven't had the pleasure of riding to the top of Locke, as I've always been there during the week, so I haven't enjoyed the upper part of Bim's Whim.
I agree with Crossbow
Do Kansas and Three Mile Trail qualify, or are these considered just connector trails (which they are, actually)
Lower Upper Cut (Blue)

Killington:
Heavenly Traverse (same comments about Goat Path at SR) Black
Racer's Edge Black

Okemo:
Tuckered Out (only a green, but winding and interesting, imo)

From what little experience I've got with Sugarbush (one day on bulletproof), I'd agree that it's got plenty of these trails.

I enjoy the narrow, winding "classic" trails as well. Haven't done any Maine skiing yet but here are some Vt, NH & NY trails in no particular order that you'd likely enjoy: (Some blues, some blacks, all narrow, lots of bends, lots of double fall lines - I'm not including glades in this...)

New Hampshire: I suggest heading for Cannon and Wildcat - I've not skied Black or the Balsams but both look interesting

Cannon - Upper Cannon, Upper Hardscrabble
Waterville Valley - Oblivion, Tangent/Periphery
Attitash - Ammonoosuc
Wildcat - Upper Wildcat, Polecat

Vermont: I suggest Burke, Bolton, Stowe and especially Mad River Glen...

Burke - Deer Run
Stowe - Chin clip, Goat, Star, Toll road (It's a green but you'll appreciate the break if you've done the other 3)
Okemo - Big Bang, Tuckered out
Bolton - Cobrass
MRG - about 2/3rds of the mountain...
Sugarbush - Jester, Middle Earth

New York: try the state run areas - Gore & Whiteface
Gore - Chatiemac, Twister
Whiteface - Parons Run, Excelsior, Mackenzie, (The new blue they added this year looks interesting.)

If you ever get north of the border there are some great "classic" trails in the Eastern Townships of Quebec - expecially at Mont Orford and Sutton.

admafw":26yjkshx said:
Whiteface - Parons Run, Excelsior, Mackenzie, (The new blue they added this year looks interesting.)

The new blue on lookout mountain may be the best trail on the mountain and the best example of a "classic" new england trail. It is protected from the wind, and therefore has better conditions than most of the mountain. I couldn't disagree with you more about Parons. It is always a slab of ice, and is totally exposed to the wind because it is way too wide. I agree with you on excelsior although it is wider than what would normally be considered a "classic" new england trail. As a result the wind gets to that trail pretty bad. Mackenzie is not a very long, and as a result I would exclude it from that. However, parkway might be a better example due to its length, but again is pretty wide. Part of the problem with whiteface as a mountain is that the trails are all a bit too wide considering the wind they get.

I'd have to put Empire at Whiteface in the mix. I onlu skied it a couple times but it was about as wide as a jeep road. If I recall Patrick told me they had widened it?

While there are some great trails at Gore...not sure any fall into this category. Lower Steilhang has a ton of character, but it is really short. Under the lifts are also great at Gore...High Pines, Dark Side, Double Barrel. Again..not exactly classic New England if I understand what it means. Maybe classic New York. :D

admafw":cwt0b5r8 said:
I enjoy the narrow, winding "classic" trails as well. Haven't done any Maine skiing yet but here are some Vt, NH & NY trails in no particular order that you'd likely enjoy: (Some blues, some blacks, all narrow, lots of bends, lots of double fall lines - I'm not including glades in this...)

New Hampshire: I suggest heading for Cannon and Wildcat - I've not skied Black or the Balsams but both look interesting

Cannon - Upper Cannon, Upper Hardscrabble
Waterville Valley - Oblivion, Tangent/Periphery
Attitash - Ammonoosuc
Wildcat - Upper Wildcat, Polecat

Vermont: I suggest Burke, Bolton, Stowe and especially Mad River Glen...

Burke - Deer Run
Stowe - Chin clip, Goat, Star, Toll road (It's a green but you'll appreciate the break if you've done the other 3)
Okemo - Big Bang, Tuckered out
Bolton - Cobrass
MRG - about 2/3rds of the mountain...
Sugarbush - Jester, Middle Earth

New York: try the state run areas - Gore & Whiteface
Gore - Chatiemac, Twister

If you ever get north of the border there are some great "classic" trails in the Eastern Townships of Quebec - expecially at Mont Orford and Sutton.

Here is some more info on this topic in this old thread from back n 2004.

What is your favorite "Classic Narrow Eastern Trail

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128

rfarren said:
I couldn't disagree with you more about Parons. It is always a slab of ice, and is totally exposed to the wind because it is way too wide.quote]

I can see how Parons could get icy and wind swept in parts but of the half dozen times I've skied Whiteface only once has the mountain lived up to it's "iceface" nickname. Almost every other time it's been spring like conditions (Nice on top, oatmeal at the bottom by afternoon.) and Paron's has skied well. Personally, most of the time coming off the summit chair I actually choose Upper Skyward and only switch to Parons after "the burn" sets in.

I'm glad to hear the new blue is nice - the construction pictures looked amazing!

Back