Would you pay $700 to stay at Greek Peak?

EMSC

Still trying to figure out where Sharon is this season on these boards.

But my folks got a look at the new 'condo-tel' and indoor water park recently built at Greek Peak. They are doing a 'soft' opening of "only" $200/night, 2 night minimum; with 'regular' pricing of $350/night with a 2 night minimum. Water park is only for guests of the hotel, not for general public. They say it does look very nice, if rather out of place. My parents think it belongs in Vail or Aspen... (or maybe Stowe).

Just curious who would pay that kind of money to stay in the middle of nowhere with the moderate sized ski hill the only real attraction and then only for a short 3-4 months a year. I can't see anyone paying that kind of money no matter in the summer with all the nearby lakes to play in/on in CNY. Anyone want to bet on when the default on the Gov't loans happens?

I actually rediscovered Greek last season after far too many hours in the car driving to VT (3 hours versus 7). I looked at rates for January and nearly passed out. They were close to what we usually pay in Beaver Creek. Staying in Cortland is just fine by me.

TTT103":80txwqgu said:
I actually rediscovered Greek last season after far too many hours in the car driving to VT (3 hours versus 7). I looked at rates for January and nearly passed out. They were close to what we usually pay in Beaver Creek. Staying in Cortland is just fine by me.

And that's pretty much the answer I'd expect from nearly all of GP's visitors. I figure Big AL (the GM of the place who's hai rbrained idea for the hotel) will default on the loans in fairly short order.

TTT103":135ibsyw said:
I actually rediscovered Greek last season after far too many hours in the car driving to VT (3 hours versus 7).
I go to GP whenever I visit my mother in CNY and always have a good time (and usually get lucky with conditions), but I wouldn't drive three hours each way unless there was no other option... which may be the case for TTT103. I'm likewise fascinated by Big Al's boondoggle, and can't wait to see how it pans out.

Can't remember if Jason ever mentioned it, but when he rents skis for his kids every season, they give him 2-for-1 coupons to GP (which I gladly take off his hands). As if anyone from our region would drive 3.5 hours to go there.

GP is just a nice skiing mountain, with consistent pitches, and minimal lift lines. Granted, they might be better served with a high speed quad or two, but they offer a fine mountain three hours from my home. In terms of the Lodge's rates, I too think they will subside to a realistic level. The place is new, and I'm sure excitement is high. Once reality sets it, so too will reasonable rates.

TTT103":km7hsz8t said:
Once reality sets it, so too will reasonable rates.

You'd think that such reality would have been borne of pre-construction market research. It seems to me that this must not have been done, which is somewhat shocking.

Their quartershares have actually sold fairly well. I was told what the percentage was towards the end of last ski season, but don't recall the figure. Regardless, it did surprise me that so much was sold. Greek's next step is for on-mountain improvements (new lifts, trails, and a summit lodge). We'll see when (and if) that ever occurs. Given that the new trails and lift located above Greek Peak East has been on the drawing board for 25 years, I'm not holding my breath.

As I mentioned, my challenge is that I live in the Philadelphia area so the drive up the NE Ext., 78, 287, and 87 on a Friday night to VT is not exactly a leisurely stroll down the road. Last year, we bought an Epic Pass and did the Vail resorts every few weeks, with only a couple trips to VT. We happened to Greek on a lark, but found it much more accessible than the aforementioned.

TTT103":2t8lzw8s said:
new trails and lift located above Greek Peak East has been on the drawing board for 25 years

The triple was installed in 1979. So we're up to 30 years of planning and talking.

Since then the big lift 'improvements' have been: removing a poma, removing 2 t-bars, installing a magic carpet, major rework of 'the yellow chair' (lift #2, now painted brown), and installing the very used and decrepit 1A double (mostly in place of where the t-Bars were).

TTT103":2t8lzw8s said:
Their quartershares have actually sold fairly well.

I doubt it frankly. They talk a good game, but behind the scenes will be some single large investor (from far away) that Big AL has bamboozled who bought just enough quarter shares in a lump for Al to make big claims about and barely meet his mandated loan terms (and then get sued by his investor when it turns into a stinker of a deal). I've seen that one a couple times before - to the point Al declared personal bankruptcy and had his wife's parents buy back their house at auction... Etc...

The only option for on-hill improvement is if Al can find a way to spend some of his Gov't loan money on it in the next 12mo, just before he defaults on the new lodge payments. All IMHO, of course. I don't have a positive view of Al or GP managerially. Which is too bad, as the hill itself is decent for it's size/location.

Good to see EMSC keeping his finger on the pulse of Virgil from 1,500 miles away.

You can take the boy out of the country... :lol:

There was also the consolidation of Ronnie's Run and the trail next to that (I don't recall the name) into Aesop's Glades, a move I really didn't like (but that's just me). Then, there is Hercules.

What I did notice was that the ski area was like a ghost town the times that I went last year. I don't know if I just happened to luck out or if skier visits were really down from the one hour lift lines that we used to wait in 20+ years ago.

jamesdeluxe":gg5ggq1r said:
Good to see EMSC keeping his finger on the pulse of Virgil from 1,500 miles away.

You can take the boy out of the country... :lol:

How true. Of course if you only knew my families ties to GP in particular; and how many ski days I have there over the decades (despite none in the past 3 years)... :wink:

TTT103":gg5ggq1r said:
What I did notice was that the ski area was like a ghost town the times that I went last year. I don't know if I just happened to luck out or if skier visits were really down from the one hour lift lines that we used to wait in 20+ years ago.

The lines haven't been that size since the early 90's.

Back