Smugglers Notch, VT 02/07/10

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Smuggs is the second to last Vermont mountain to cross off my to-ski list (leaving only Bromley). As I was driving yesterday morning through a series of Pocono-esque hills and 60s-era suburbs (not what you expect from atmospheric northern VT) from my hotel in Burlington, I was wondering why it gets so little coverage from the online forum crowd. I got my first slap of culture shock when I found myself following a long line of mini-vans driven by soccer moms and dads. Then, with a 2-for-1 coupon in my hand, I sat in front of the ticket window for, no joke, 20 minutes before finding someone to split it with me. Virtually everyone is there on a multi-day family deal, so there's very little daytrip business, I guess. Compare that to the 15 seconds it took me to find someone at Jay to buy a half-price ticket the day before.

While it's all about families at Smuggs (almost suffocating at times, and I'm a parent), the terrain really impressed me: a legitimate 2,600 verts covered by old-school EC trails with lots of character, some steep shots, and skiable trees everywhere. Smuggs reminded me of a bigger version of Magic Mountain, including the outdated infrastructure: old double chairs and an undersized, uncomfortable lodge at the bottom of the main hill. I can deal with slow lifts, but I was scratching my head the entire day trying to figure out how they've not had to face a mutiny from a target demographic that insists on a certain level of amenities (high-speed lifts and a decent day lodge).

Conditions were similar to Jay on Saturday: the trees were soft and the on-piste trails were very crunchy (once again, the rain from two weeks ago did a huge amount of damage). I'd love to go back there when the snow is in better shape.

Picture 446.jpg

Picture 448.jpg

Picture 452.jpg

Picture 442.jpg

Picture 441.jpg

Its definitely one of the most off beat eastern resorts. seems like most people just go to Stowe or Sugar. I went there once after getting frozen out of Jay...

I was there a few years ago with the family. We found the out dated infrastructure difficult to deal with, especially with stowe just around the corner.

jamesdeluxe":6xc07tmu said:
Smuggs is the second to last Vermont mountain to cross off my to-ski list (...) I was wondering why it gets so little coverage from the online forum crowd.
2nd last on your list and Bromley? How many areas did you ski in Vermont? I guess I should checkout the Ski Area Count thread. Little loving from the online forum??? Lucky and I + mtngirl that wrote here for maybe one season + Matt Duffy have done when he used to post and live East our part of TRs from Smuggs. Smuggs is a classic.

I got my first slap of culture shock when I found myself following a long line of mini-vans driven by soccer moms and dads. Then, with a 2-for-1 coupon in my hand, I sat in front of the ticket window for, no joke, 20 minutes before finding someone to split it with me. Virtually everyone is there on a multi-day family deal, so there's very little daytrip business, I guess.

Did you parked at the bottom or upper lots? Lower mountain is definitely family oriented crowd. The daytripper will park at the upper lots. Marketing is all family, however the mountain kick ass!!! Terrain and vibe isn't far off MRG, unfortunately they messed up the Sterling side.

I can deal with slow lifts, but I was scratching my head the entire day trying to figure out how they've not had to face a mutiny from a target demographic that insists on a certain level of amenities (high-speed lifts and a decent day lodge).

jasoncapecod":6xc07tmu said:
I was there a few years ago with the family. We found the out dated infrastructure difficult to deal with, especially with stowe just around the corner.

I made some reference about the demographic earlier. You have the families then you have the hardcore skiers.

The main difference with $towe is also the cost. Add all the xtra and you'll likely see the price increase. When the conditions are right, the preminium of buying a ticket at $towe versus Smuggs or Mad is often not worth it. I remember debating with an old time regular that wanted a quad in the place of the Madonna lift. The mountain would ski totally differently if you added uphill capacity on Madonna, keep the old double.

There was also the story a while back above Smuggs getting a green light for a 6-pack to replace the Sterling Double...there a heated debate between the Smuggs hardcore. Keep life simple and skiing great, keep it the way it is.

Although Stowe (and Loaf) are number 1 in my books, Smuggs isn't that far down that list and above the big McSkiing areas in my book.

The best action on days like that is in the Sterling woods. Cross the pond up top bearing right. Bootpack the trail. You can peel off to the right at any time, all the way up to the Spruce peak chair from Stowe. Ski out onto 108 and back down through the Sterling lot, where you should park so you can grab a quick beer/lunch on any lap. From Madonna, you can also skin the Long Trail up to the peak above Morse.

I was wondering why it gets so little coverage from the online forum crowd.
Matt Duffy's reports from the epic 2000-01 season made a lasting impression on me. And Patrick and Luke had that big pre-Christmas weekend a couple of years back. From what I've read Smuggs and Sugarbush would be next on my priority list after the 4 Vermont areas I've already skied.

Tony Crocker":3i92f53m said:
From what I've read Smuggs and Sugarbush would be next on my priority list after the 4 Vermont areas I've already skied.
Two totally different beast, mountains and experiences. Like I said, some of the Smuggs feel is more similar to MRG than Sugarbush.

Like I said, some of the Smuggs feel is more similar to MRG than Sugarbush.

I would add that Castlerock at the bush has a feel that is very similar to MRG.

Kinda ironic that as "Adk_Jeff" my first real post here is about about a Vermont ski area...

Adk_Jeff":3lghsc4z said:
Like I said, some of the Smuggs feel is more similar to MRG than Sugarbush.

I would add that Castlerock at the bush has a feel that is very similar to MRG.

Yeah, but it's only a portion of the ski area, the stuff away from Castlerock isn't close from that feeling. Not saying it's good or bad, just a fact.

Having been to Smuggs 8-10times I've never experienced an over abundance of "family skiiers". Maybe because I try my best not to go on weekends but I've rarely seen more than a 3 min lift line and the mountain is amazing! Classic NE skiing at its best! If you normaly ride Stowe/Jay/Bush and haven't been to Smuggs you're missing a gem.

Back