Heavenly, NV+CA and Mammoth, CA 4/26/19

tseeb

I did something on Friday that some may think is a little crazy. I skied both Heavenly (15 lifts) and Mammoth (9 lifts) on the same day. I left San Jose before 5 AM and arrived Heavenly's Stagecoach base (closing this weekend) about 8:45. I had to park about halfway back in the lower lot. There were at least 50 people waiting for lift to open, but line was gone before I got there after changing and booting up. Snow was very good. I skied Milky Way Bowl 6 times hitting different aspects from S/SE to N to catch softening snow. The following pictures of Milky Way Bowl and Dipper Bowl were taken between 9:30 and 9:45.
7597MWBPeople.JPG
7600DipperBowl.JPG
I heard Heavenly was not very good after noon so about 11 I started thinking about re-locating to Mammoth where I planned to ski Sat/Sun. After a couple of laps on more W-facing Tamarack, then seeing how soft N-facing Dipper Bowl had gotten, decided to move and quit about 12:15. With only a quick stop at 7-11 in Dresslerville (S of Minden) for $3.33 gas, I parked at The Mill before 2:45.I rode chair 2 and was on chair 23, which I rode along with chair 3 three times each, before 3. Snow on both 3 and 23 was soft which made the steeps easy to ski.View attachment 2
7602G2From23.JPG
Lower on mountain you wanted to be where it was firmest from grooming and salting. I got back to my SUV about 4:15 and pulled out a chair, changed in shorts and sat for a while. My Heavenly vertical was over 16K and Mammoth was 9K. Some speed laws may have been broken on US-395, especially approaching Bridgeport and between there and Mammoth. I was lucky that a couple of RVs got held up at bug station near Topaz Lake while I got waved through other lane. Traffic was heavier than normal at today is Fish-mas in June Lake and the opening of fishing season in Eastern Sierra. I may add ski tracks screen captures when I have more time.

Attachments

• 7601On23@256.JPG
    7601On23@256.JPG
    640.5 KB · Views: 6,717
  • 7604Mammoth@430.JPG
    7604Mammoth@430.JPG
    445.2 KB · Views: 6,718
Amazing to ski two areas so far apart in a single day. I might make it to Heavenly for the closing weekend. It sounds like I will only get a good 3 hours of skiing each day in the morning.

Back