Mammoth, CA 4/27/19

tseeb

I skied from 8:30-3:30 with my only breaks being the three full gondola rides we took at 11:30, 12:45 and almost 3 PM. I was ready to quit when we got to chair 2 about 2:45, but Tony Crocker who was giving Matt Smith and I a great tour said he’s skied Mammoth enough to know that you never know what tomorrow’s weather will bring and storm is predicted to hit Sunday which may affect snow softening and lift operation. (Winds are strong Sun AM although still sunny).

My watch counted 20 lifts and 28,600 vertical. Skitracks was less than 300’ lower. The highlight runs were Huevos Grandes, where entrance had enough exposure to make me take my time and closely follow Tony’s direction and path - once past choke, the apron was great, Avalanche 2 then Avy 1 in prime condition mid-afternoon and we finished with Hangman’s where snow was very good after 3 and steepness did not bother me nearly as much as Huevos. Early we skied some chair 25 and 9 runs although it got soft fast there, then skied some of Shaft get from 25 to 22. I also skied top of Paranoid 2 and bottom of P3 and wrapped around to inspect Phillip’s which looked it would be unnecessary survival skiing.

Following are a couple cropped and reduced iPhone pictures of Tony Crocker in Avy 2. The are not the same turn. He has some better pictures taken with his camera of Matt Smith, who was on last day of his season that included a roadtrip with three months of skiing the Western US.

Attachments

• 7612TonyCAvy2B.JPG
    7612TonyCAvy2B.JPG
    491.6 KB · Views: 7,199
  • 7614TonyCAvy2A.JPG
    7614TonyCAvy2A.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 7,207
Back