RIP Dave McCoy - founder of Mammoth

I noticed flags at half staff at lunch from Main Lodge today.
IMG_5412.JPG

The sale to Starwood for $365 million closed on Feb. 5, 2006. I have searched in vain for the LA Times photo that date of Dave bawling his eyes out. No one has ever been unhappier scoring a nine digit profit on a sale.

10042005mammoth-lakes-california-roma-and-dave-mccoy-cry-just-after-picture-id564055173

10/04/2005
Mammoth Lakes, California
Roma and Dave McCoy cry just after their daughter Penny McCoy (top) hugged them during the sale of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area. The fabled Mammoth Mountain Ski Area in the eastern Sierras was sold on tuesday afternoon. As owners Roma And Dave McCoy age 90 who founded the ski and bike resort signed papers at Mammoth Headquarters selling to Starwood Capital Group Global, a private held investment management group.
(Photo by Anne Cusack/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
https://www.gettyimages.in/photos/dave- ... ar#license" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was one of the first dishwashers at Warming Hut #2 during the winter 1973-1974. 18 years old. Hobart manufactured the dish washing machine. That nickname was given me by others I worked with. It stuck with me. Dave McCoy has loomed gigantic in my life, as one I greatly admired. Bigger than life!!! He ushered into my life a passion for skiing I cannot shake, nor do I want to. Nothing will ever be the same. Time waits for no one. RIP Mr. McCoy, Thank you.

Naturally I share the sentiments above as one who started skiing in SoCal in the 1970's. We all owe a lot to Dave.

Back