Sunshine Village, AB: 03/25/07

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Arrived in Calgary late evening yesterday and drove up to Canmore, where it rained all night. I raced up to Sunshine early this morning, which reported about seven inches. I started at 8:45 and bagged really soft, mostly untracked laps for the first three hours, then nice leftovers and powder bumps until 3:45 when my legs gave out.

SSV10.jpg

SSV1.jpg

SSV5.jpg

SSV14.jpg

SSV11.jpg

SSV8.jpg

SSV13.jpg

SSV7.jpg

I clearly didn't perform enough due diligence as Sunshine was a lot better than I had expected with a nice selection of terrain, from wide open alpine to lots of tree shots from mid-mountain on down. Even with a pretty big crowd today, the longest I waited for a chair was three minutes (they've got lots of HSQs). They were bombing Delirium Dive in the morning and opened it in the afternoon.

I look forward to going back tomorrow and seeing how Sunshine skis without the crowds.

jamesdeluxe":36r3ri0s said:
Couldn?t believe this is the end of March. Yeah baby!

I've been to Sunshine/Louise on full or partial trip 4 times. All the trips have been in April, except one in late March. I found some amazing conditions must of the times, sometimes even some April Winter Powder. 8)

jamesdeluxe":36r3ri0s said:
I guess I didn?t perform enough due diligence, but Sunshine was a lot better than I had expected... had a nice selection of terrain ? from wide open alpine to *lots* of tree shots from mid-mountain on down.

There are some fun places that the average tourists don't even know about at Sunshine. I would say the overall reputation is still stuck with the intermediate label, however the ever expanding expert terrain starting with the Dive and now Wild West has surely made this place more desirable for every skill level of skiers.

Like me, you were in the right place at the right time on March 25. That storm was nearly all rain in Fernie.

Back