Jackson Hole, WY: 12/13/10

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
GIven my luck with destination trips planned weeks or months in advance (especially in the East), I guess that it was time for a market adjustment. After hearing all about the biggest season opening in Jackson Hole's history, 171 inches YTD, it was a bit deflating to get off the plane and walk through a light, but steady rain. And it wasn't one of those "it's raining here, but snowing at the mountain" setups. The temps were too warm for that. So I turned on my windshield wipers and left the airport.

Picture 001a.jpg

Picture 003b.jpg

I arrived at Snow King at 1:30 for some warmup turns. Gotta love how you can park right next to the lift:
Picture 022.jpg

In something that comes straight out of Icelantic's playbook, the rain turned the powder from Friday into soft spring butter, so I did high-speed laps until 4 pm. Not a very photogenic day and certainly not what you travel 2,000 miles to ski, but better than I had expected while driving in from the airport:
Picture 014.jpg

Today at Jackson Hole was similarly warm, but no rain. Although more than 600 (!) University of California students were in town for a massive snowboard trip, it was pretty desolate. Here's the gondola at 2 pm:
Picture 030c.jpg

I met with an acquaintance from my Epicski days, Bob Peters, who has lived in Jackson for almost four decades. A few years ago, he posted a detailed Unofficial Guide to Skiing Jackson Hole (and the Unofficial Guide to Skiing Jackson Hole/Steep Terrain): an excellent resource. We skied and chatted for 2.5 hours; he knows every inch of that mountain.

Unfortunately, the rain had done a number on the huge mounds of snow from Friday. Going off-piste was doable, but not advisable for mere mortals like yours truly. So we did a bunch of long groomer laps off the gondola and were surprised at how soft most of them were. Once again, not what I had envisioned a week earlier, when they were ringing up powder day after powder day, but a great time, especially while getting an education on Jackson Hole from someone like this guy.

Late in the day, I found some nice snow in the trees on the Moran Faces:
Picture 026c.jpg

Picture 035c.jpg

Picture 036.jpg

I wasn't aware that from the beginning of the season until Dec 22, they've been running an incredible deal: $79 per day gets you a lift ticket, a slopeside condo, and lunch at Nick Wilson's. Based on quad occupancy, but still.

Snow is supposed to move into the area tomorrow, so things should improve.

jamesdeluxe":2403cidi said:
After hearing all about the biggest season opening in Jackson Hole's history, 171 inches YTD, it was a bit deflating to get off the plane and walk through a light, but steady rain. And it wasn't one of those "it's raining here, but snowing at the mountain" setups. The temps were too warm for that.

Yikes! Hopefully the snow moving in will be deep and start wet... The avi issues would seem to be great if it freezes up, then snows dry powder.

Fingers crossed for ya!

I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be a really big season..... or if there's going to be some big gaps of high pressure for a few weeks and no snow, to bring things back closer to 'average' for the season in much of the west...

jamesdeluxe":35lxlo5v said:
Bob Peters, who has lived in Jackson for almost four decades
Great contact. Patrick and I skied an afternoon with him in January 2006 when it was puking, just when you want to be following a local like him. That guide of his is a must read for first time or occasional visitors to Jackson.

How high up was the rain/snow line? It usually doesn't get much over 8,000 feet, but of course that's well over half the terrain since it fans out so much at the base. This warm system has been widespread; rain/snow line at Mammoth last Thursday was over 9,500 feet. The forecasters do think all of that is going to get buried by this weekend, hope it works out that way in Jackson too.

EMSC":35lxlo5v said:
I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be a really big season....
Overall it's clearly second to 1996-97 so far for the 15 years I've been tracking in detail. The recent warm weather is unusual for La NIna, but otherwise it's conforming to most of the predictions. The prevailing track has been somewhat south of La Nina conventional wisdom, centering more on Oregon than Washington and continuing that way into the Rockies, much to the benefit of Utah and north/central Colorado. Western Canada has not been that great so far once you get 100+ miles north of the U.S. border.

It's still early. The season that ended up comparable to 1996-97 was 3 years ago, which had a super dry November but then went crazy starting in December.

Good stuff James, nice report. Can always count on you for the flavor.

(I couldn't figure out how to "quote" a picture but...) it looked like one of the trail signs in your picture had a "double blue square" trail on it?

How many trail levels does JH have?

Harvey44":27r0tkm3 said:
Good stuff James, nice report. Can always count on you for the flavor.

(I couldn't figure out how to "quote" a picture but...) it looked like one of the trail signs in your picture had a "double blue square" trail on it?

How many trail levels does JH have?

When I skied JH (and I believe they still use the same trail ratings), they had five different trail ratings - single green, single blue square, double blue square, single black diamond, and double black diamond. It might seem like overkill at most mountains, but JH probably has enough variety of terrain that it makes sense to differentiate their trail ratings this way. I actually bought a tee shirt in one of the JH ski shops that had the five trail ratings on the front and then it had a sixth rating that I believe was called "insanity" and had a drawing of a lunatic-looking skier below it (which would probably apply to some of the in-bounds terrain that is sometime skiable - Corbet's, S and S Couloir, Tower Chute 3, etc.)

The first maps I saw of Jackson Hole in the 1980's had 5 trail ratings: green, blue, red, black and yellow. I adopted this split for rating terrain difficulty on an absolute scale in my resort guides. 3 gradations is not enough IMHO. And using 5 gives enough room for differentiation within a resort while presenting a clear picture whether terrain is skewed easy or difficult on an absolute scale.

Back