Planneralm, AT: 02/06/19

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
If you want to know how I landed on this under-the-radar region for a visit, it's due to this TR of Planneralm from New Year's Eve 2013. Titled "Volltreffer" (meaning jackpot or bullseye), this guy clearly had a good day there and something about the simplicity of the setting really hit my sweet spot. For the next several years, I kept thinking that it would be fun to go on a road trip to a bunch of low-elevation ski areas in this region, with Planneralm as my main attraction.

From where I was staying in the village of Aigen, it was less than a half-hour drive through the village of Donnersbach ("Thunder Creek") to Planneralm on the left or Riesneralm on the right, which I was planning to ski the following day.
031.JPG

It always helps to tout a superlative and Planneralm claims to be the highest lift-served ski area in the region of Steiermark with its summit at 2,200 meters/7,200 feet. Because of its favorable location, they're able to get away without snowmaking: 100% natural snow, which is advertised in a poster at the base:
001.JPG

Basically a 1.5-mile-wide bowl with three lifts and a vertical drop of 2,000 feet:
Planneralm_Map.jpg

The offpiste there had stiffened up a bit since the last snowfall so I stayed on the groomers doing high-speed laps most of the day. The natural snow felt fantastic, especially where it had been warmed up by the sun.
008.JPG

009.JPG

014.JPG

025.JPG

Skier's left had photogenic trees on the lower half:
011.JPG

021.JPG

024.JPG

010.JPG

The pride of the ski area is the 1973 Gläserboden t-bar:
012.JPG

... which culminates in a convincingly steep stretch at the top:
016.JPG

015.JPG

023.JPG

026.JPG

Traversing across the ridge:
018.JPG

Looking out over the BC backside of the ski area -- you can see a set of tracks down the middle:
007.JPG

Around 2 pm, I stopped for a late lunch at this cute hut:
029.JPG

Vegetarian spätzle with a side salad, a Weihanstephaner beer, and the obligatory apple strudel: 17 euros. An excellent deal and my most expensive ski lunch of the entire week.
019.JPG

Last edited:
Looking at this recent Alpinforum report from the third week of April, conditions don't look substantially different from my visit there at the beginning of February, as seen in the TR pix above. I guess my question is -- should we be reflexively dismissing anything but the highest ski areas in early March? My instinct is always: go where you want but have a bailout option nearby for a worst-case scenario.

Last edited:
Note from your 2/6 report:
jamesdeluxe":sltudma0 said:
The offpiste there had stiffened up a bit since the last snowfall so I stayed on the groomers doing high-speed laps most of the day.
At a higher resort the off-piste would still have been fine. See Andermatt-Gemsstock and Engelberg-Titlis as good examples.

My 2017 days in Saalbach were similar. Groomer skiing was great across the board, but off-piste 10 days after the last snowfall was not.

jamesdeluxe":sltudma0 said:
should we be reflexively dismissing anything but the highest ski areas in early March? My instinct is always: go where you want but have a bailout option nearby for a worst-case scenario.
The presumption should be to choose a high altitude area with a good proportion of north facing in March or later. But if you leave your schedule flexible to the last minute, you can always go to a lower place that just got enough fresh snow to bury the old subsurface. My guess is that you will end up at a low altitude place less than 15% of the time in March.

Another observation: I suspect Austria has a more continental climate that the Alps farther west. So at the same altitude rain risk is lower and you also have the midwinter inversions to hold down low altitude temperatures. So if you're using an altitude algorithm, it's probably accurate in dinging Austrian ski areas late season, but January/early February are often better than raw altitude numbers would imply.

Back