Helping Boots and Mitts for WARMTH!!

gpaulski

Still in hot pursuit for warm feet and hands, let's sart with feet:

Assuming Warm Core, Warm Boots beforehand, and proper socks, any experience with these suggestions?

1. Mylar over liners?
2. VBL socks?
3. Chemical warmers?
4. Loose buckling?
5. Boot Gloves?
6. Anti-perspirant and Baby Powder?

Me, probably combine all the above to make sure.... Not spending $300 on Hotronics.

DIY: Insulating your ski boots,
no more cold feet while skiing!

Brought to you by Joakim Magnus Taraldsen, Norway 22/01-2004

skiboot_web.jpg

Going skiing, temperature: -14 degrees Celsius (7 degrees Fahrenheit).
After a half hour the toes start getting cold. After another half hour
we go inside to warm up our feet. Salesman in skishop will gladly
sell us some USD 150 battery operated ski boot heaters.

What to do now? Answer: Fix cold feet problem by insulating the
ski boots with heat-reflecting foil using USD 2 worth of materials.
Time spent: approx. 1 hour. Satisfaction: very high.

What you need:

Some packing tape and scissors.
A sheet of heat reflective foil ("Mylar emergency blanket" and
"Space blanket" are some common names for it, he who Googleth, findeth).

How to do it:
Remove the inner boots/linings from your ski boots.
Cut a 30cm strip of the blanket so that it covers the area starting over the toebox,
going under the sole and up a bit on the rear of your inner boots.
Fold the strip double and apply using the packing tape.

Apply tape to cover the whole surface of the blanket to protect
it from damage when re-inserting the inner boot/lining.

Enjoy your warm feet on the slopes!

HANDS, same prior assumptions:

1. Neoprene Mitt covers?

2. Thin gloves silk?

3. Chemical warmers?

4. Baby Powder and Cayenne?

Gracias!

Hotronics or something similar are the best way to go for boots. I had mild frostbite of my feet on a winter mountaineering trip back in college and have been using Hotronic heaters for the past 25 years. Without the I would not be able to ski most of the winter.

If your boots are fitted properly, there is probably little if any room for chemical heat packs.

I've experimented with VBL approaches and found they don't make a lot of difference for me. Same with mylar liners. YMMV.

Never used the neoprene Boot Gloves but I know others who say they work.

Loose buckling defeats the purpose of correctly fitting your boots. Again, with a properly fitting boot and liner, you don't need to super-tighten your buckles. If you are, you're compensating for a packed out liner, meaning it's time for a replacement. Sure, on a cold day loosening the buckles while standing in the lift line and on the chair is fine, but not while skiing.

For hands, I use chemical warmers, liner gloves, and when really necessary, mittens. Be careful with liner gloves - if wearing them makes the gloves too tight, then your hands will actually be colder.

Recall also that if your hands and feet are cold, it may mean that you're loosing too much heat from your body and it's the body's way of compensating by slowing down the blood supply to the extremities. That old mountaineering adage exists because it's often true: if your feet are cold, put on a hat.

This post is really helpful for those who are new to skiing . By this post I got a lot of information about using boots and various tricks to stay warmth in cold climate.As I faced lot of problem last winter season when I tried skiing first time. I hope this time with the help of these tips I would be able to stay warm and enjoy skiing in coming winter vacations.

Just browsing these old posts. I buy chemical hand and toe warmers by the box. For the first time last season, i found that if I neglect to take them out of the gloves for an extended period, the casing actually disintegrates. When I finally took them out, the grey powder spread all over the place. I've used the three major brands interchangeably, so I can't be sure which brand I have. I also have a new box every season, since I go out in the bitter cold a lot. I have also found that placing the hand warmers on the back of my hand, nearest to the fingers as possible works best for me.

Love to hear from someone using boot gloves. One of my friends swears by them. They are short money so I may give them a try on the coldest of days. May look a little dumb, but if I enjoy the day more, that's all that matters!

Back