Ski Repair / Rock Skiis / Damaged Skiis

I took my Volkyl AC 40's (http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/volkl-un ... arbon-2008) into Utah Ski and Golf to get a tune up. I figure I have been skiing on them for 4 maybe 5 seasons now?

The bases have a number of gouges including one that goes through the black base to a the next layer. It obviously needs to be fixed.

The guy looked at the skiis and made an assessment that water had gotten into the ski and he was concerned that if he tried to do the tune up, the edges might come out? The standard tune up involves a sand of the base layer and repair w/ Ptex, then wax, etc.

Could this really happen? I'm not an expert in ski maintenance, but, can't they just fill in some of the big gouges w/ Ptex, file the edges, and wax the ski? I like to get maximum use out of everything I buy and it seems a shame to possibly dump these skiis. I've been quite happy with them, especially on the groomers and through crud........ i know something wider would theoretically be less exertion on my part, but I'm still happy with them in knee/thigh high powder.

I'm planning on taking them to another shop for another opinion....

Any thoughts are appreciated......

Take them to Powder House on 6200 S. A core shot isn't gong to allow water intrusion unless it's extreme.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Admin":3q05vpw8 said:
Take them to Powder House on 6200 S.
+1
Or The Lift House on Fort Union just west of the mouth of BCC.

Avoid:
Utah Ski and Golf
Ski N' See (or See N' Ski - I never remember the order)
Canyon Sports
Sports Den (on Foothill Blvd)

jojo_obrien":2y4hq8dx said:
cool, thank you gents..........

sometimes if i should bother even posting on here..........admin is one stop shopping ; )
You've been here a few months - on this forum, just between admin, me, BobbyD, and AmyZ, is collectively around 75 years of SLC local knowledge and experience.
There is much for you to learn, young padwan.

Back