Snowboard Advice

Cldra

currently have a 2011 Ride Machete 158, which i believe is flat (or possibly slightly cambered between the feet) and then rockered outside the middle. I got the board thinking that I wanted an all mountain board that was good in the park. However, I've realized the only time I spend in the park is a quick roll through to hit some kickers and that my riding now mainly consists of blasting down groomers/high speed carving, riding powder if/when it dumps, and throwing it around in the trees. I was wondering if a new/different board would be better suited for these things.

So I guess my current priorities in a board are: i) fast and stable, ii) good in all conditions (including corduroy, afternoon torn-up-conditions, and ice), iii) fun to mess around with and take through the trees and iv) good in powder.

Budget: since I already have a board and go on one trip a year, I'm trying to find last year's models somewhere around $3-400
Size: 6'0" and 175lb

Given these, I was looking at the 2015 Rossignol One Magtek 159 (I found for <$300) or something from Lib Tech, like the T Rice Pro, but haven't been able find any on sale. Any recommendations on boards and where to find deals?

The Good Ride has great reviews I've found to be very realistic and helpful. Click on Boards then Free Ride. Your style sounds a lot like mine! T Rice is nice, I've ridden both nose profiles, the last one was a friends, I think 157. Too small for me. The other was maybe 161(?) and much better. I'm similar size to you, I like wider boards, 26.0 waist or wider. Rocker/Camber combos allow snappier turns in tight trees on a longer board compared to old school boards, which give good float in powder. Some carve like a roller coaster, some don't. Some are better in later-in-the-day chop compared to others. Jones Flagship, Never Summer Chairman, Burton Flight Attendant, Yes Pick Your Line, these are all up there in my book. I want to demo a Loaded Algernon but haven't got the chance yet (It is listed as an all mountain, not free ride but I think would be similar). The SnowStix made here in Bend are spendy but I've demoed a several...designed for backcountry, all are good in pow, the asym fish thingy was interesting, carved well too I must say.

Back