Ski Pants?

clanversus

Hi Im new to the board. Im a midwest skier, which means Ive skied more ice and slush than actual snow. Because of my unusual skiing location, I have turned into a clothing fanatic. I have Burton 3L gore-tex shell, with the Burton gore-tex snow pants (I am a skier, I just like the more relaxed fit of snowboarding gear). Both of them have worked perfectly and I have never gotten wet.

Ive been wanting to get some insulted gear, so I just recently purchased a Spyder Alpen Jacket. However, I have hit a brick wall with snow pants. The problem with snow pants is that most of them come in the generic S,M,L,XL with a "1 inseam length fits all" mentality. That might work for most people but Im asian and I have short legs, so that means my snow pants drag cuffs all over or I have to hold up my cuffs or fold them. Ive done numerous searches for short sized pants and found a few cheaper brands. I was wondering if anyone knew of a high quality snow pants that come in short lengths?

Thanks!

jasoncapecod":3gzxwbiy said:
try Arc'teryx. One of my favorite brands.

One of the best out there. I corrected the spelling of the name and the website is http://www.arcteryx.com/ . They make ski pants in short and tall permutations of the typical S/M/L/XL/XXL size structure.

Jason and Admin, thanks for the info! I have a friend who would like to try skiing but one of her obstacles has been pants. She's rail thin but 6 feet tall so everything she's found so far hits above the boot on her! :shock: Not good for someone who is constantly cold.

Take a look on eBay. I bought a pair of Arc'teryx Gore Tex XCR shell pants from somebody in Mountainview, CA three weeks ago.

Last year, I found a pair of Obermeyer pants, and was relieved to see that they offer both short and long versions in all of their waist sizes. I'm a little shorter than average, myself.

clanversus":nl42k1wl said:
... The problem with snow pants is that most of them come in the generic S,M,L,XL with a "1 inseam length fits all" mentality. That might work for most people but Im asian and I have short legs, so that means my snow pants drag cuffs... wondering if anyone knew of a high quality snow pants that come in short lengths?

I ran into the same problem for my wife. Even Arcteryx didn't fit her as we looked for Goretex pants or bibs. We ended up buying Arcteryx bibs on SteapandCheap.com at a good discount, then we fit them and sent them off to a Goretex tailor (http://www.rainypass.com/). They will shorten the thigh and lower leg and re-sew the vent zippers. In essence, she'll get a pair that fit properly. Of course, this extensive work is going to cost a lot, but she'll have top quality bibs that fit.

In your case, you are looking for lined pants. You might call this company and see if they will work on them. You may also want to do a web-search for ski clothing tailors. I found one in Denver and other in Idaho, but chose the link above because they specialized in Goretex and their help desk was responsive to our rather complicated alterations.

Good luck and welcome to the board,

Jeff

Wow!
thanks for all of the response...I wasnt expecting that ,any so quickly...

Ive done ,any searches on the internet for short ski pants but only found a few..primarily lower end Markers and Obermyer(spelling??). Ive also seen a few Arcertyrx pants, but it seems most of the high end models of most companies are not offerred in short versions.

Thanks for the suggestion for the Gore-tex tailors, I think I will pursue that option because it will allow me to get any brand/model Im looking at...plus I can get my North Face shell fitted properly;;

Getting proper warm/waterproof gear is not typically an area I want to go cheap anyways..I usually go for the best option/gear...not fiscally responsible I know, but when your freezing your butt off, thats the last thing on your mind...lol

Thanks for the help!!!

I know, I'm late to the partee here.

I looked for a few years for a pair of pants that would last me another decade.

I absolutely love the Karbon Nitrogen pants ($200). Very waterproof (good for spring skiing). They make short - let's be specific - I am a 28" inseam, they fit perfectly and form to the legs great. I ended up with a large, even though I'm 34 waist. They run their sizing in ranges of 2", it's a little strange. These are insulated pants, full side zips, pockets up top and a cargo pocket halfway down. Zip in front ( believe me, I've found pants with no zipper, and NO they were not ladies!)

For the life of me, I don't know why they put a lift ticket hook on the top of the pants. I suppose it's for those warm days that we never have in the east. I like suspenders too.

I'm not comfortable buying any soft goods or boots through the mail/net. Each manufacturer's sizes are a bit different. I don't want to be bothered with returns.

That's my $0.02.

Got some 10 day old Arc'teryx top-of-the-line pants for $50. There were some small holes in one knee. Fixed that up for ~$10 and I have materials for future repair. Seems like a good deal to me for $60.

clanversus said:
Hi Im new to the board. Im a midwest skier, which means Ive skied more ice and slush than actual snow. Because of my unusual skiing location, I have turned into a clothing fanatic. I have Burton 3L gore-tex shell, with the Burton gore-tex snow pants (I am a skier, I just like the more relaxed fit of snowboarding gear). Both of them have worked perfectly and I have never gotten wet.

Ive been wanting to get some insulted gear, so I just recently purchased a Spyder Alpen Jacket. However, I have hit a brick wall with snow pants. The problem with snow pants is that most of them come in the generic S,M,L,XL with a "1 inseam length fits all" mentality. That might work for most people but Im asian and I have short legs, so that means my snow pants drag cuffs all over or I have to hold up my cuffs or fold them. Ive done numerous searches for short sized pants and found a few cheaper brands. I was wondering if anyone knew of a high quality snow pants that come in short lengths?

Thanks![/quote

Since you already have 3l goretex pants,do not get insulated ones.Its a waste of $,and they will frequently be too hot.
Get some smartwool liners in light weight.If those arent enough,get the thicker ones.Even in -20F that is plenty

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
I thought I'd throw a few more cents into the discussion.

It's hard, maybe impossible, to beat theArc'teryx Sabre Pants.

Another excellent choice would be Patagonia's Pow Slayer Bib, or of course the Arc'teryx Alpha SV CZ Bib.

The Arc'teryx Saber Pants are made from "lightly insulated N80p-X GORE-TEX® textile [which] is highly durable." They weigh 1 lb 6 oz and they seem fairly heavy duty. These are the pants I scrutinizingly chose for my more extreme excursions.

The Pow Slayer Bib is made from the new Gor-Tex pro material which is up to 30% more breathable than last years, but very lightweight. I don't think they have the N80p-X face fabric that Arc'teryx uses. They only weigh 1 lb 4 oz. and they are a full bib. They seem a little lightweight for ski pants actually.

The Arc'teryx Alpha SV CZ bib also uses the new Gore-Tex pro material. It is made from the durable N80p-X face fabric and has N-155p-X fabric in high wear areas. Like the Patagonia bib they also weigh 1 lb 4 oz, but they don't have the same baggy fit.

Some of the best ski pants brands are mentioned below I hope is work for you.
Arc’teryx
The North Face Freedom Insulated
Outdoor Research Skyward
Flylow Gear Baker Bib
Patagonia SnowDrifter Bib

Back