Learn to ski at home

new2skislc

Hi- I just moved to Utah not too long ago and really want to learn how to ski. I'm a bit intimidated to just throw myself at the mountain so was wondering if anyone knew of any "learn to ski at home" videos or tutorials online I could access before hitting the slopes and taking actual lessons at the resorts. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

First off, welcome to Utah! Where'd you move from? And welcome to FTO! Just about every Utah local on these forums is a transplant.

Second, honestly...it's not what you want to hear, but in my opinion there's no substitute for the real thing. It takes a subtle understanding of the forces involved and what they actually feel like. Unfortunately there's no learning terrain available until next season, either. You're welcome, though, to stick around and get a sense of what's out there and why the typical forum user here sees skiing not as a recreation, or even a sport, but rather as a lifestyle. Hope to see you on the hill next season!

Skiing has quite a fast learning curve vs. most sports (golf and tennis for example) to reach a level that is quite enjoyable. Thus the destination resorts are full of contented intermediates who ski just one week every year. I am also living proof, as I have poor natural coordination and failed miserably at most sports as a kid.

You location is enviable as you have a reliable 6+ month season, should be able to start on easy beginner terrain at Alta or Brighton by Dec. 1 at the latest. Take a lesson as a first timer, then practice and take more as needed intermittently. My observation is that skiing is a polarizing sport. Most people try it once and either quit or are soon addicted. The other key advantage you have is that skiing one or two days a week at short distance daytrip areas you can push harder and progress faster than the person who is on vacation skiing 6-7 days in a row and gets tired, has to pace himself and/or has to take a day off. I was very fortunate to have the still-best 1978-79 SoCal snow season in my learning stage. Thus I did not miss a single weekend from mid-November to early April, so I made great progress over the 30 ski days and was totally addicted by the end of that season.

There are lots of great books and videos on learning to ski. Warren Miller has one such video that will have you lauging and relaxing. I found it in a video store in Santa Cruz, CA for advanced skiers, tips. But, he has a beginning video. Also, taking a lesson as a firsttimer has been researched to directly correlate with lower injury rates. Also, keeping yourself fed, and off of alcohol those first few times (years) helps. Typical injuries can be avoided with well researched techniques. It is worth it to check out the Vermont Ski Safety website. I hope you find in it what so many of us have.

I was hooked on snow and mountains as a child living in Colorado with a sled prior to kindergarten. So, it was a natural progression to ski. Having said that I was just in the mountains today with a friend enjoying the August day hiking! For me as Admin said, it is more than a sport, it is a tribe or lifestyle that involves so many things.

Today I made it from Mt. Waterman to Mulholland Drive in 1.4 hours which made me happy. Father used to drive us there in about that amount of time, like a bat from H......! He had stopped skiing, but, evidently liked to go to the mountains with the car loaded with neighbor kids and his own! I so enjoyed showing my friend the trail today even without the snow and skiing!

Enjoy Utah! Kudos for the courage to ski!

Back