Belleayre, NY: 04/20/07 Cornfest

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
It's already being called the 2004 Boston Red Sox of ski seasons. As a Yankees fan, this analogy pains me to no end, but it's true. After one of the worst starts ever, almost everything went right for us starting in mid/late January and it ended just as superbly today, at least for me, with a textbook spring day under bluebird skies.

I met up with ILikeSki, Mogul Junkie, and Skidbump from the Epic board and had at the harvest. The 15 inches from last weekend's storm in the Catskills corned up perfectly and stayed that way until about 2:30 pm when the blazing sun finally started making things a bit sticky in spots, but those 5.5 hours were sweet. The bumps were soft, the top steep sections were nice and carvable, and I only recall seeing two small bare spots all day.

Everyone was in a state of disbelief. It ain't supposed to be this nice so late in the season around here. On April 20th, Belleayre is 100% covered, the woods too, and should stay that way through the weekend. I heard that if enough people show up, they may open for the following weekend too.

More good news, local legend Skidbump won the contest for the most days skied among season pass holders this year with 109 days. He'll ski for free there in 2007-08.

It was one of those perfect days that you didn't want to end. And on that note, I'm officially done for the season.

Attachments

• Picture041.jpg
    Picture041.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3,675
  • Picture049.jpg
    Picture049.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3,668
  • Picture027-3.jpg
    Picture027-3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3,670
  • Picture037.jpg
    Picture037.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3,686
  • Picture032-3.jpg
    Picture032-3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,660
Wow. Never been to Belleayre. Looks great. I wasn't able to get up to our hill (Gore) this weekend, but reports say the coverage is excellent there as well. So I guess I am done too. For me - 31 days and not one was a spring day.

Nice report.

Back