Jackson Hole, WY, Feb. 7, 2012

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Tuesday’s weather was nearly identical to Monday, clear with the temperature inversion. We took Thunder to Paintbrush, sketchy in places but good chalky snow most of the way.
IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Liz had to make a business call so I took Thunder back up to check out Tower 3 Chute. The entrance area was fenced and quite bumpy. Then most people must have bailed out because the snow was smooth as it became narrower and steeper ~40 degrees. The snow was tight chalk and quite intimidating as any error would result in a long slide, and not a clean one as the chute has a dogleg about ¾ of the way down. Sorry no pics as I needed full concentration on skiing. I’ve been in there before and don’t remember it quite this way due to deeper coverage and softer snow.

After lunch we took a run out the top Rock Springs gate.
IMG_2159.JPG

We did both have beacon, shovel and probe and had been out there once before with guides, me in 2001 and Liz in 2007. We had talked on the phone with local Bob Peters, who assured us of snow stability and advised us to traverse as far as possible at the start to avoid a rock band not easily navigated from above.
IMG_2178.JPG

View of Cody Bowl at the end of the traverse.
IMG_2179.JPG

Skier’s right of Rock Springs would also keep us away from south exposures and in the best snow. First pitch here led to a short walkup.
IMG_2180.JPG

These two are preparing for a longer bootpack up to the Powder 8 slope in Cody Bowl.
IMG_2182.JPG

In the midsection of Rock Springs we skied a few nice smooth lines in well preserved snow.
IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

Eventually we reach the trees.
IMG_2192.JPG

The trees tighten as you go lower in Rock Springs and there are also a few roots and rocks to avoid. But eventually you come out at the bottom of the Hobacks.
IMG_2194.JPG

After that adventure we took a couple of cruisers near Casper. Here a patroller is trying to corral his avy dog.
IMG_2197a.JPG

At 3PM we met marketing director Zahan Billamora for a last tram run. Marketing tours at Jackson are not like most places. First up was the Bivy trees between Bivouac and Cheyenne Bowl.
IMG_2199.JPG

While steep they have been thinned some and they had the most loose snow we had seen anywhere in our first 2 days in Jackson. We then poked around some variable moguls skier’s left of the Rendezvous Trail before following it to the bottom of Sublette. From there we skied Lower Sublette Ridge, where we knew the snow would be good from our prior day run in similar exposed but shorter Buffalo Bowl.
Zahan at left in red above me, then skiing below me.
IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

More Lower Sublette Ridge.
IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

I finished with 17,700 vertical for the day, a measured pace but still a workout considering the nature of Jackson skiing.

Back