Red Mt., B.C., Feb. 20, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I’m alone for my Canada trip this season and came via Spokane since I got RT air from Burbank for $246. So heading north Red Mt. is the first stop, and particularly worthy of notice this year due to the Grey Mt. expansion.

With the unusual weather pattern of the early season Red got shortchanged, getting barely half the snowfall of Fernie and Whitewater vs. a normal 2/3 to ¾. This included an inversion a few weeks ago that reduced the base on upper sun-exposed terrain by 1-2 feet. Fortunately it has snowed every day for the past week, totaling about 2 feet with 3 inches overnight.

I headed up about 9:15 and the upper half of Motherlode chair was in fog, not quite as soupy as last year, but enough for me to take my warmup runs in the trees of intermediate pitched Paradise. Paradise faces south but the past week’s weather had long buried any crust or refrozen snow. The powder was smooth and creamy but not particularly deep.

So I next wanted to explore the Powderfields area, Red’s more densely treed answer to Jackson’s Hobacks, sharing a similar SE exposure which is why I haven’t been in there much on prior visits with less cooperative weather. First try I didn’t get too far and ended up in trees skier’s left of Southern Belle, but next try I got to Jumbo. The top of Powderfields is accessible only from Motherlode, not the Paradise chair.

Next time up Motherlode the cloud finally rose above the top of Granite.
IMG_5693.JPG

With the just improved visibility I took a powder run mostly skier’s left of the chair before having lunch at Paradise Lodge.

Top of Paradise chair after lunch.
IMG_5696.JPG

It was now time for me to check out the new Grey Mt. Locals were less than enthusiastic due to the low snowpack not yet covering up some of the debris from last summer’s chair construction. Nonetheless terrain is quite open near the lift with lots of room to avoid the obstacles.
IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

I took my first run down the lightly tracked liftline, next time traversing out the ridge skier’s left. View profile of the very steep and still closed north side of Grey Mt.
IMG_5701.JPG

I skied the other way down this open slope, eventually merging into the liftline
IMG_5702.JPG

Both Red and Granite are visible in background here.

Zoom view of north side Granite.
IMG_5704.JPG

That is still intense skiing over there, steep, often confined by rocks, trees or bumps, even with the soft snow today.

Last time up Grey I went skier’s right. Some people there while I’m on the lift.
IMG_5707.JPG

I took one final run up Motherlode, this time going for the top of Powderfields. View from there wth Red in background.
IMG_5708.JPG

24,600 vertical, 8K of powder. Red Mt. is now huge with 3 separate mountains. The addition of Grey has done little so far to make it more intermediate friendly. Some of this is perhaps due to the low snowpack. But the main fall lines on Grey are steeper than Paradise and partially south facing.

Red Mt. is still the best advanced/expert lift served tree skiing area I have ever seen. It’s a very demanding mountain and quite powder dependent for good snow conditions.

With similar base elevation Red is as susceptible to rain as Fernie, and its annual snowfall is 281 inches vs. 379 at Fernie.

Red clearly has snow reliability issues; that's why I describe it as a powder dependent mountain. Maybe expert Vermont tree skiers can handle the combination of steep and sometimes tight trees with variable snow, but at my more modest ski ability I need the snow surfaces to be good to be comfortable skiing everywhere at Red.

To me - Red Mt. kinda lives in a bit of a Pac NW lower snow sector.

I'm guessing a lot is topographical - the mountain kinda sits out there alone without something that causes moisture to dump all over it.

When living in Seattle, I think they shut down in January 2001(? - or 2002?) during a low snow winter - while others stayed open. Not great.

But Red is also steeper than Schweitzer, Whitefish/BigMtn, etc, maybe similar to Crystal?.

That said - it's easily one of the top 3 trees mountains in North America.

Someone posted this Whitewater/Red TR on Zoneski -- not what one expects from a destination trip out there.
http://www.zoneski.com/forum/index.php/ ... -f%C3%A9v/

-Il faisait chaud/it was very warm

- C'est une saison désastreuse pour plusieurs stations de la région/it's a disastrous season for several ski areas in the region

-Il pleuvait certains jours/ it rained on a few days

They apparently got 2+ feet of heavy springlike snow over four days at Whitewater, but Red was in bad shape:
je ne serais pas surpris de voir la station fermé temporairement bientôt. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ski area close temporarily

I have to call :bs: on Red's reporting.

Fernie reports a 22-55 inch base and 50 of 142 trails open. That sounds about right with the multiple rain events over the past 2-3 weeks.

Red is 200+ miles farther west at the same elevation as Fernie with consistently lower snowfall (109 inches vs. 143 this season) and claims a 61 inch base and 105 out of 110 trails open. There is one caveat on Red's report page:
http://www.redresort.com/mountain/report/":df9ukcya said:
*For your safety and enjoyment skiing and riding off groomed runs is not recommended today.
To me that means something like 25 out of 110 runs open.

Any easterner can tell you that 109 inches snowfall plus a bunch of rain does not equal a 61-inch base.

Tony Crocker":21my67hs said:
I have to call :bs: on Red's reporting.
I would assume it is horrendous...Castle is closed, Fernie may be next...from the look of the base area as posted on TGR
I have friends meeting at Red this weekend...really glad I passed on it.
The place is empty, Management is fooling only the Tourists who don't read...
Not surprised really, they aren't locals...so the honest Canadian tag does not apply.
Maybe March will be better...or...Not!

The 4 of us will be in Fernie next week, the trip was booked in november. We might try to get to Whitewater since they have more snow, but it's 4 hrs away. Anyway it'll be better than a week stuck in front of a computer screen... And to make it worst there calling for snow almost everyday in the Laurentians starting today...

It's karma I guess, we must pay for the great powder week we had in Whistler last winter !

Martin should relocate to Banff/Lake Louise. They had all snow while Fernie was getting rain. Presumably Martin has a car so this is logistically possible.

Tseeb and I will be skiing Banff next week, then skipping Fernie and driving into Montana. Whitefish is higher than Fernie and should ski somewhat better though I'm sure it had rain at the base. Whitefish is doable as a daytrip from Fernie ~2 hours one-way drive. Whitewater is as far as Banff and did not escape the rain.

Tony Crocker":4nbmmzxf said:
Martin should relocate to Banff/Lake Louise. They had all snow while Fernie was getting rain. Presumably Martin has a car so this is logistically possible.

Tseeb and I will be skiing Banff next week, then skipping Fernie and driving into Montana. Whitefish is higher than Fernie and should ski somewhat better though I'm sure it had rain at the base. Whitefish is doable as a daytrip from Fernie ~2 hours one-way drive. Whitewater is as far as Banff and did not escape the rain.

Unfortunately relocating to Banff is not an option available to us without trowing away hundreds of $.

Back