Alyeska, AK, Apr. 11, 2014, + Portage Lake Kite Skiing

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We had some issues with our flights and did not get to bed in Anchorage until 3AM. But ski hours at Alyeska in spring are 11AM-6PM, so we were fine getting on the hill at noon.

It was a clear day, so Liz got an eyeful of Alyeska’s world class scenery. The view out to Turnagain Arm.
IMG_6088.JPG

The top of the highest lift chair 6 at 2,750 feet.
IMG_6089.JPG

The bowl above is another 1,100 or so. In foreground is the top snow plot, which averages over 600 inches but has only had 445 this year. The locals were complaining about “low tide” conditions, and there were quite a few alder bushes visible that I do not recall on my previous 3 visits.

The more serious weather issue this season was the torrential rain in January, which resulted in the huge wet avalanche that closed Thompson Pass outside Valdez. This storm left Alyeska with a lot of ice that needed to be covered before the North Face finally opened in March.

After a couple of cruisers we headed out the High Traverse.
IMG_6090.JPG

The objective was these shaded powder leftovers, 2-3 days old.
IMG_6094.JPG

The powder was good quality but only about 4 inches deep over a firm subsurface. I wouldn’t call it refrozen but it could be tricky skiing in contrast to the powder on top.

Farther out I sent Liz into this area that looked promising.
IMG_6099.JPG

She said it had a more irregular subsurface and the steeper area below me was more consistent.

So we went back to the groomers that were mostly packed powder up high and hardpack near the base. About 2:30 we went into Seven Glaciers for a leisurely lunch, waiting for the ungroomed to soften some more. We had a scallop bisque and mac and cheese with fresh king crab.

After lunch we headed down the North Face. This also had the 4 inches powder over the firm subsurface, but at ~30 degrees needed to be skied cautiously. Liz got trapped in the alders a couple of times and took awhile to get out. Back up top here's the view over never opened this season Christmas Chute to glaciated mountains NE of Alyeska.
IMG_6102.JPG

By 4:30 the south faces in the main bowl had finally softened so I poked my way through one of those runs and then we both skied Alpine Gully.
IMG_6103.JPG

We took a final cruise to the base via Sourdough and got off the mountain shortly before 6PM closing.

Sunset is already around 9PM so I knew we would have time to take a scenic drive down to Portage Lake. Much to our surprise we found quite active with kite skiers so we walked out there for a closer look.
IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

This one was getting some air.
IMG_6114a.jpg

These guys were very hospitable and let us try holding a small kite. First me:
IMGP0292.JPG

And then Liz:
IMG_6120.JPG

They even offered to let us borrow skis, but with a week at Points North just ahead of us we decided not to risk a screwup. I will say I’m probably tempted to try this before a board in the water though.

2 kite skiers at the far end of Portage Lake.
IMG_6126a.jpg

We went back to Girdwood for a fresh sockeye salmon dinner at Double Musky and got back to Anchorage about 10:30.
We spent a couple of hours Saturday morning in the Anchorage Museum before catching our flight to Cordova.

pics arent showing........ : (

i skied with a guy today that was heading to Cordova for heli ---wonder if he'll be in your group. he's an Australia with a beard ....I think his name started with an "A" Adam or something like that...currently lives in PNG -- be curious to know if you're in the same group.

Tony -- you should have went for the steak @ DM.... IMHO...........prefaced by escargot stuffed mushrooms, pepper steak tips, cup of gumbo, washed down with a beer or three from midnight sun brewery.......nothing like a heavy DM meal after a long day - you cant get anything remotely that good in SLC.....period.

the skiing is marginal @ Alyeska in April but you cannot beat the views that time of year........how's that light treating you? Liz adjusting ok ; ) ?

If you skied with someone in Utah today, they will be here at Points North next week after we're done. That will be their last week of the season.

We did have the escargot stuffed mushrooms at Double Musky.

The WiFi is very erratic here. We also got called to go skiing while the WiFi was hung up on the pics. Another FAIL with pics tonight. It wouldn't even upload ONE measly FTO-resized pic!

jojo_obrien":1jnsodew said:
.how's that light treating you?
Not too well after that first day at Alyeska. Rain/snow/clouds all day Sunday. High overcast today; we got out for 3 runs between 6 and 8PM. No surprise clouded out of tonight's lunar eclipse too.

Tony - I was referring to the 9:18 PM sunset in Anchorage right now with light probable 10:30+PM . I can't recall if Liz said she had been to Alaska before or not......

When I first arrived in Alaska in April, I couldn't believe how light it stayed out -- in addition to a 630 AM sunrise. Blackout curtains anyone?

Yes it's quite light until 10PM and not dark until past 10:30. Not yet to the blackout curtain stage. Light is about the same as at Glacier NP near the solstice last summer or on our Patagonia hikes in 2011. The 6-8PM ski day was the same as our first day in Antarctica.

Tony Crocker":36689i2c said:
The WiFi is very erratic here. We also got called to go skiing while the WiFi was hung up on the pics. Another FAIL with pics tonight. It wouldn't even upload ONE measly FTO-resized pic!

I think it's time to make a change. Download Picasa for your computer, put all photos in there (I create an album for every ski day or sometimes trips). Just hit sync with Web and everythings uploaded, and intermittent internet is no issue, it'll just pick back up. You can also set the quality to upload (doesn't effect the actual local file) to something much lower res in order to get it done on a low bandwidth connection. then you just go to the picasaweb website, find the picture, right click, copy image address, click the Img tag, paste in the middle and you're done. 99% sure admin uses google to host his images based on the last TR's pics being Google hosted. Not to mention you can then have access to all your pics, sorted by day on your phone/tablet or any computer in the world.

You don't have to use picasa for your computer, i just find it super easy to keep organized and being able to upload easily.

socal":lduplvtb said:
I think it's time to make a change. Download Picasa for your computer, put all photos in there (I create an album for every ski day or sometimes trips). Just hit sync with Web and everythings uploaded, and intermittent internet is no issue, it'll just pick back up. You can also set the quality to upload (doesn't effect the actual local file) to something much lower res in order to get it done on a low bandwidth connection. then you just go to the picasaweb website, find the picture, right click, copy image address, click the Img tag, paste in the middle and you're done. 99% sure admin uses google to host his images based on the last TR's pics being Google hosted. Not to mention you can then have access to all your pics, sorted by day on your phone/tablet or any computer in the world.

You don't have to use picasa for your computer, i just find it super easy to keep organized and being able to upload easily.
+1
I do that simply to not have to monkey around resizing images.

No problem loading pics from Anchorage Airport. Cordova WiFi was weird. My ws-ftp upload of my final season progress report didn't work either with a strange error. I eventually researched the error online and changed a setting that fixed that problem. But uploading full size images from that WiFi to anywhere online: that would have been a nightmare.

Tony Crocker":3a2iak2v said:
No problem loading pics from Anchorage Airport. Cordova WiFi was weird. My ws-ftp upload of my final season progress report didn't work either with a strange error. I eventually researched the error online and changed a setting that fixed that problem. But uploading full size images from that WiFi to anywhere online: that would have been a nightmare.

That's the part that would be good when using the Picasa application, you could upload as"web" quality which is like 640x480 or something then at a later time just change the option to full size.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back