Discovery, MT, Mar. 1, 2015

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve read q’s reports from Discovery over the years, plus the powder flyover and John had last year, so we drove the same Missoula to Lost Trail to Philipsburg route they did and stayed at the Broadway Hotel next door to the Brewpub. We didn’t have the powder so we took the tertiary route 259 for a shorter drive.

Sunday was crystal clear, so overnight low of zero F in Philipsburg. Despite the clear skies and no wind, I was wearing my heavier fleece mid-layer all day and had my jacket hood up for groomed runs. This tells me it probably never exceeded 15F. Discovery opens at 9:30AM and we were on the hill about 10.

The front faces south and the back north so we immediately headed to the back. The lowest Silver Chief chair was closed, but that was inconsequential because the Granite chair is 1,670 vertical. Granite is Gpaul heaven, long and relatively steep fall line groomers. View down Center Stage:
IMG_0445.JPG

Grooming is of quite high standard for a supposed mom-and-pop area.

After 3 of the Granite groomers we ventured into the western bowl of the expert Limelight area, starting with Mother Lode.
IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

Below the steeps tseeb saw a couple of locals execute clean 360’s, so I got the camera out for the next natural lip, where one of them managed only ¾ of a backflip.
IMG_0454a.jpg

We then skied Manhattan onto Limelight’s eastern bowl.
IMG_0456.JPG

Riding up Limelight we see the western ridges Good Finger and Bad Finger.
IMG_0459.JPG

We saw a snowboarder spraying snow on Good Finger so we skied that.
IMG_0463.JPG

Here’s the bench at the top of the Limelight chair.
IMG_0462a.jpg

And here’s the patrol shack at its base.
IMG_0469a.jpg

We also skied Ajax in the western bowl and Bad Finger in the eastern one. Overview of the eastern Limelight Bowl.
IMG_0471.JPG

We came to the base twice during the day on Southern Comfort and Silver Bow. We saved Sluice Box and Berkeley for our last 2 runs after 4PM.
IMG_0472.JPG

All of these runs were nicely groomed and not as firm as one would expect from the south exposure. I asked a local if Discovery had any of the rain events, and he said only one in mid-January. With Discovery’s low skier density all of these frontside runs probably corn up nicely during q’s late March timeframe. Speaking of which, I found that Discovery does 60,000 skier visits on its 2,000 acres, even lower density than Castle Mt. or Lost Trail. We skied 20,900 vertical.

Even with q’s hype, I have to say Discovery exceeded my expectations, particularly in terms of terrain quality. It has a remarkable balance of terrain for all skier abilities. The Granite groomers are as good as anybody’s, Limelight is expansive and steep enough to keep experts busy quite a while, and the Jubilee beginner terrain is 800 vertical.

Discovery/Philipsburg have a retro ambience in a very positive way. Tseeb filled his 64 ounce growler at the Brewpub for $8. Lift tickets bought through the hotel were $33 and there was a guy at the base doing edge and hot wax work for $15.

Discovery has had 126 inches snowfall this season, similar to Panorama and Lake Louise. It’s clearly a mid and late season mountain, with gradual snow accumulation but a cold climate and nearly all the steeper terrain on the north side. No surprise the people in the office knew q and his annual visits at an optimal time of the season.

I remembered that someone was hitting Disco on the 1st March but was glad to see a report and nice to see you guys had a good time. Looking at NOAA Tuesday is going to be brilliant.

Tony I think has summed up the area fairly accurately in terms of the scale, type of terrain and snow. I would say this season the actual snowfall totals YTD seem pretty similar to previous winters(I don't keep data to back that up) but what I can say is that they seemed to get a lot in November/December followed by a dry and warm January/February which actually had me slightly worried about my trip however the picture looking up the front side lift showing Sluice Box is a welcome sign. Plenty coverage on the front side keeps the mom and pops coming and Limelight will be great as long as the temps are cool and there is an inch or 2 here and there.

Fingers area are my trails of choice as it gets lower traffic and there are places in the trees that can have wonderful snow days after the last snow fall. On a pow day when the rope drops at 10am I head there first. I quite often can be found hiking from the top of Limelight up to the top of Granite to lap Fingers particularly in warm weather when it corns up nicely. As the only other way into Fingers is by heading to the base area its a 5 minute hike v 20 minute roundtrip.

I tend to avoid Ajax and Manhattan as they are generally pretty mogul ridden preferring to venture further out to Catch-A-Wave, Neversweat and Russell's. In the other bowl anything from Gun's and Roses right over to Haunted Forest can keep me amused for days. There is also a small path through the trees that takes you from just above/around where you photographed the 2 people back flipping through the trees and on to the last section of downhill to the lift rather than taking the long cat track to the base of Limelight.

Silver Chief is barely open and really will serve its purpose once the new road opens up from the Philipsburg side of the pass. There is some decent out of bounds skiing from near the top of Winning Ridge that when Silver Chief is not open you hit a point where you hit a trail sideways across the hill and out above the top station of Silver Chief. Pretty rocky underfoot. Long term I am not sure exactly how how the new road will pan out, without snowmaking I'm not sure how realistic it is to have a second base down there and I am not even sure coming from Philipsburg that I still wont just drive to the current base. I like a beer in the 7 Gables on occasion after skiing and anyone coming from Anaconda/Butte I think head to the Harp Bar in Anaconda. They have a deal there where you buy 1 pint and you get your 2nd free. Also of note is that if you had went to the Sunshine Station in Pburg you would have got a free beer/soda in exchange for your lift ticket. I always head there after skiing!

Ah Disco, see you next week!!

Tony Crocker":judbwzcw said:
I found that Discovery does 60,000 skier visits on its 2,000 acres, even lower density than Castle Mt. or Lost Trail

The one thing that always surprises me is that midweek Discovery can be completely deserted and I might see a handful of other people skiing Limelight. They have a very good schools program which keeps the lodge busier although I sometimes do wonder that if the owners were not all dedicated skier types would the mountain move inline with other small Montanan hills and open only on certain days. Hope that never happens!

Even more surprising is that on weekends when the parking lot can be packed and the lodge full to the brim Limelight still will be walk on. I guess the point I am making is that what I class as the best terrain on the mountain must get a fraction of the skier visits :-D

Tony Crocker":15v1mxw4 said:
No surprise the people in the office knew q and his annual visits at an optimal time of the season.
Q: man or myth?

Discovery and Lost Trail: two MT anti-resorts (with Montana Snowbowl, Maverick, Turner, and Great Divide close behind) that I've had my eye on for many moons. Glad to see that Tony and crew are finally getting decent lift-served conditions somewhere in the west.
:stir:

I see that Maverick has 127 inches YTD compared to Discovery's 126. How's that for uniform snowfall?

Silver Chief looked sketchy even though the rest of the hill had excellent coverage. I agree a new base won't work without snowmaking and big projects should be avoided by areas with only 60K skier visits.

Manhattan was bumpy but shaded and the snow was good. We did a better navigation job to the Fingers than in the eastern bowl.

Q must be a solid skier given his enthusiasm for Limelight. It would have taken me a long time to get comfortable on terrain like that skiing just once a year destination trips. FYI Tseeb has skied 2 areas in Scotland!

jamesdeluxe, I would very much recommend making a visit to the mountains you mention, Turner is the only I have yet to visit in the State. Always been denied by weather/schedule.

The road has been on the cards for many years and I believe that as the Pitcher's own the land they were able to build the lift without Forest Service issues. I'd imagine back in the day they maybe thought about real estate but clearly those days for now are certainly gone.

I've always had a bit of an issue with the road. Fair enough mid winter I am sure there are days when the pass is a little bit scetchy but the county road is pretty well maintained and looked after even during storms. Now for me if I was going to a pow day, I can get on the front lift at 9.30-9.45am and be ready for the rope drop at 10am and be straight into Limelight. If I went up this new road it takes I dunno, 15 minutes on Silver Chief, then 15 on Granite. I'm loosing more time than I save by just driving to the current base IMO. The lodge is bursting at the weekend which is the most pressing issue and I dont buy into the idea that a new road bypassing the pass will generate a whole heap of people coming up from Missoula.

q":1nzx20pv said:
jamesdeluxe, I would very much recommend making a visit to the mountains you mention
I've had that itinerary on the table for years and always get sidetracked. The most recent opportunity was in March 2013 but I opted instead to visit the Inland Northwest because my wife was with me and while there was some driving involved, it was less than the Montana trip that we're discussing. Moreover, I didn't want to subject her to a week straight of slow lifts. She really enjoys off-the-beaten track, olde-school mountains -- three of the four mountains qualified as such (49 Degrees North, Lookout Pass, Mount Spokane) -- however, those were balanced out by three days at comparatively modern and comfortable Schweitzer.

Next year!

Admin":20gdce0i said:
jamesdeluxe":20gdce0i said:
Q: man or myth?

I can confirm that he does in fact exist.

Yeah, I skid with him at Disco one day a few years back. Great skier!

Discovery had an unusually good November - early January this season. Even long time pass holders were surprised and will tell you it was the best early season in 10-15 years. If they had their typical low tide early season, it could have been disastrous with the prolonged warm spell.

All the comments above are spot on. It is generally a Feb.-March mountain and there is no better place for a mid week powder day than the Limelight lift at Discovery.

coldsmoke":3srlwxlo said:
Discovery had an unusually good November - early January this season.
One of the locals told me that Limelight opened in November, an extremely rare occurrence.

haha, I can also confirm I exist :bow:

coldsmoke, I will be there March 13th thru closing if you are kicking around let me know. I might also be at Big Sky for the last few days of their season but not yet sure on that one, will see how conditions are at Mt Bachelor and decide if I want to leave there come mid April.

I'm a little late getting some of my pictures from Discovery up, but here they are.

Downtown Phillpsburg, pop. 800, on very bright and 0 degree Sunday morning. When we arrived Sat. night, after booking last room available at Broadway hotel from 10-15 minutes away, parking on this block was full. The brewery is only open until 8 pm due to Montana laws on places that make alcohol, but that seems to force everyone to get out early.

Attachments

• 0407BroadwayHotelPburgBrewery.JPG
    0407BroadwayHotelPburgBrewery.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 16,323
  • 0417TonyCGoodfinger.JPG
    0417TonyCGoodfinger.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 16,336
  • 0414TonyCMoreSmoke.JPG
    0414TonyCMoreSmoke.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 16,334
  • 0412TonyColdSmoke.JPG
    0412TonyColdSmoke.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 16,340
  • 0411TonyColdSmokeFar.JPG
    0411TonyColdSmokeFar.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 16,322
  • 0418TonyCGoodfingeer.JPG
    0418TonyCGoodfingeer.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 16,341
  • 0430TonyCOnGoodfinger.JPG
    0430TonyCOnGoodfinger.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 16,330
  • 0819LimelightChair.JPG
    0819LimelightChair.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 16,350
  • 0823BeerOnGraniteChair.JPG
    0823BeerOnGraniteChair.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 16,332
  • 0822Pilot@Discovery.JPG
    0822Pilot@Discovery.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 16,343
tseeb":19j7oltg said:
The brewery is only open until 8 pm due to Montana laws on places that make alcohol

What, Utah isn't the only place with weird liquor laws?

Admin":23xsvo4n said:
What, Utah isn't the only place with weird liquor laws?

haha, 3 beers per day, open 10am til 8pm.

They give you a card with 3 pint glasses on it and when you order one it is crossed off. It is almost impossible to enforce with change of shifts and such like but my experience has always been that common sense is used by the bar staff.

Great pics tseeb.

coldsmoke":3noq7tg3 said:
Sounds good, according to the long range models, that's when the next powder day might be...

Nice, that would be the perfect start!

Their coffee porter is almost worth swapping out for morning coffee. :-D I think the 8PM thing is because they are strictly a tasting room. Still weird, but if they served any kind of food they could bypass that. In P-burg.. it's doubtful there is any reason to stay open much later than that anyway.

We spent some time in P-burg this summer on our Rockies tour in looking for a place to settle down.... I've ridden it once (it was very a busy Saturday with crappy snow a few yrs ago ) ... Nice terrain, but due to low snow and a National Forest that is 75% dead from beetle kill... (and just a little too few amenities) we had to pass. Bummer, as it fits some of our other criteria.

q... I am up near Polson, on Flathead Lake. There's a chance I might be doing a tour of the SW MT ski areas later this month.. I'll look you up if I make it down that way! Or, let me know if you head up this way to hit Whitefish/Blacktail/Snowbowl. And yeah, Nov/Dec were great.. barely any snow since then though. Mid 60's this week in the valleys! #-o and yeah, the long range has been showing storms 2 weeks out for the last month...but it just keeps evaporating.

Yeah, 8pm I think is plenty late enough, its a nice spot and generally a nice crowd of people whenever I have been in. Opening later would just add to problems I think.

snowave":7wyusyut said:
q... I am up near Polson, on Flathead Lake. There's a chance I might be doing a tour of the SW MT ski areas later this month.. I'll look you up if I make it down that way! Or, let me know if you head up this way to hit Whitefish/Blacktail/Snowbowl. And yeah, Nov/Dec were great.. barely any snow since then though. Mid 60's this week in the valleys! #-o and yeah, the long range has been showing storms 2 weeks out for the last month...but it just keeps evaporating.

Nice one, I will PM my US number once I confirm it still works. I'm in Pburg from 13th right thru the 5th April so can easily have a venture further.

I've made the conscious decision that conditions are going to be pretty average for at least the first week and possibly longer but I will just make the best of it, go with it and have a ball! Hopefully a storm here and there will keep me keen.

Back