big sky 1/24/06

hamdog

FTOer's, Tony Crocker, Patrick, and hamdog unite.

another bluebird day. high 20's to low 30's. no wind. no new snow in a good 5 days. yes, it was chopped and pow was tough to come by. however, the whole mountain was soft and there was some pow slashers still lurking. overall, to me, decent conditions considering the lack of recent snow. all groomers we rode weren't showing any ice. there was even some cordaroy still left over at 2pm. sweet groomer's. oh yah. it's tuesday....

early start at 9am. we started on Andesite. Elk Park Ridge was glowing, so we had to hit that up. then we almost lost eachother. not already! i found them at the Lone Moose Triple. few! up and over to Southern Comfort for a spectacular view of Lone Peak. then we bombed Hangman's back down to the base. time to head for the tram. we're hitting the Big today. 3 car wait at the tram. Patrick and i signed up for the Big. then we ventured down Liberty Bowl. Very few rocks. soft chopped up pow the whole way down. Bavarian Forest should be holding some fresh. it started that way, then the gully seemed fairly chopped and packed down. Patrick liked this. Tony did not. Tony and i headed into the trees to find our own fresh lines. Patrick stayed in the gully. i found a pretty fresh line down the rest of the way. i think Tony might have as well. Patrick ran into the boundary line, but made his way back to the Shedhorn lift successfully. back over to the bowl, up the triple and get on the tram to go hit the Big.

Patrick and i headed to the Big couloir while Tony went off to find his own adventure. we never ended up seeing him again. Patrick dropped into the Big first. pic's below. wow. that was fun. little couloir looks like it may be making my list this year. sweet line. oh, there were a cluster of about 10 goats up on the top of little cooler too. a crowd pleaser for the tram for sure. after the Big lap, we wanted more, so we headed back up to hit the first gully. firm but very edgible with some softer spots. it varied. very much like the Big. now lets go see how Challenger is holding up. we rode down to the Iron horse lift and found some nice soft moguls and other fun treats. liftline to the pocket. then back over to Challenger to hit BRT. Patrick charged it and found some good snow with hoots and hollah's heard from the top as he rode out into the bowl.

after all those steep lines and i don't know how much vertical, we headed down to the base. we definately gained a lot of ground by 2pm. it was time i get to class, so i had to bounce. Patrick headed over to Moonlight i think and hopefully found Tony at the end of the day. now they're headed south. we may be hearing from them, eventually.

lone. big sky.jpg

patrick.tony.jpg

lone. shedhorn2.jpg

the big2. resized.jpg

the big. d2.jpg

the big. patrick1.jpg

the big. far.jpg

lone. tram. line.JPG

Great shots! Patrick and Tony will be making their way here by the end of the weekend.

Wow ! I guess Big Couloir changed Patrick from its usual "headwall"... at Vorlage Ski area here ! :lol: :lol:

Really incredible pics... nice to see that someone from here is there ;)

My time will come some say... (when I'll be allowed to take vacation in between december and july)

I'm eager to have some news of you guys from Utah !!

Just a few quick notes as I wait in the Snow King lobby for a day tour into Yellowstone.

My legs have been gradually more fatigued since we climbed the Ridge at Bridger Sunday, so I decided to turn Patrick loose with hamdog after the Liberty Bowl/Bavarian Forest run. Monday we were in Moonlight terrain 13K out of 23K total, so I thought Patrick needed to see as much of Big Sky on his last day there as possible. Somewhat frustrating for me, as the Big had great snow this time vs. the scary conditions in its upper half when I skied it in March 2001.

Monday was overcast, but we did get to ski North Snowfields/Great Falls into Moonlight. Patrick's backpack took the "great fall" on Great Falls, emptying its entire contents when the wind blew it while he was taking a picture.

Yesterday at Targhee the sunny aspects had softened some Monday and were crunchy like Marc saw in 2001. Jackson has had inversions, and according to locals has stayed mostly packed powder. About a foot of snow is expected here over the weekend.

Great pics Hamdog...can you send them to me. :D

The only down part of those 2 days at Big Sky were the rocks on the access for Big Couloir and North snowfields. My skis had just been tuned. :cry: I realised I needed a total tune after my first day on the frozen surfaces at Jackson.

Big Sky/Moonlight is definately a fun place when the snow is right. Big Couloir was a blast. Thanks Hamdog for mentioning that this Montana to Utah TRIP was possible. Crazy, but possible. \:D/

Frankontour":ncxftzle said:
Wow ! I guess Big Couloir changed Patrick from its usual "headwall"... at Vorlage Ski area here ! :lol: :lol:

Actually Frank, "headwall" at Vorlage didn't open before I left. However Morgane hit "Hot Dog" 5 times on blue ice on Sunday while Tony and I were climbing the Ridge for fresh tracks at Bridger.

Blue bird sky ended yesterday with Jackson Hole.. snow today on day 6 of this trip.

i heard avi gear was necessary to ski some of the runs off lone peak. is that true?

yep. all of it! :shock:

however, it's only required on a couple of lines off the peak (the big and nsf into MLB). maybe the dakota's next year, but probably not.... :roll:

hamdog":2wo9v38k said:
i heard avi gear was necessary to ski some of the runs off lone peak. is that true?

yep. all of it! :shock:

however, it's only required on a couple of lines off the peak (the big and nsf into MLB). maybe the dakota's next year, but probably not.... :roll:

what's nsf & mlb? do you have to sign in to do these runs? other than tramming back down, are there any non-xtreme ways down? thanks.

do you have to sign in to do these runs?
no. you sign OUT. :lol:

other than tramming back down, are there any non-xtreme ways down? thanks.

it is all black diamonds off the tram. however, there are green signs that indicate the "easy" way down liberty bowl. i don't have the measurements off the top of my head, but liberty bowl is a large exposed face/bowl that drops a lot of vertical with about a 33-1/2 degree pitch. all terrain accessed off the tram is not for the novice snow slidder, and all sightseer's should stay clear away on powder days. :wink:

north snow fields, moonlight basin

Liberty Bowl would be rated single black at "tough" ski areas but double black at easier ones. I'd say average pitch is in the 30 degree range, but it's 1500 vertical, and if it has softened up from its SW exposure you'll have deep moguls all the way. With light January traffic and cool temps it was packed powder and skied easier, but that was in this year's excellent cover.

Everything else on Lone Peak is in the "if you fall, you're going to slide" category unless it's deep powder. On Marx and Lenin you just go a long way, elsewhere you stand a good chance of hitting something if you fall. I find Lone Peak more intimidating than most U.S. steep ski areas because fall consequences are greater.

The 15-person capacity of that tram is woefully inadequate. I would agree with hamdog that sightseers would be resented on powder days, or really any day when the maze is full and it's a 3+ tram wait.

I had thought we were very lucky with Big Sky: a high snow year, uniform packed powder surface, and nice enough weather that Patrick, on his first visit, was able to ski North Snowfields one day and Big Couloir the next.

But Endless Season (who also posts here occasionally) seems to come up with these mouth-watering powder shots on his road trips nearly every year. I would have assumed that the more extreme Lone Peak runs would be very weather sensitive, and that with wind and avalanche control issues it would be nearly miraculous to get to ski them in snow that deep.

This is not the first time I have observed this phenomenon. In 2004 I had picture perfect days at Vallee Blanche and Grand Montets, but when I saw Endless Season's photos from a similar trip in 2002, his show the same nice weather and terrain, but in fresh tracks.

I do wonder how long the Lone Peak tram lines were in those conditions, though.

hamdog heard a rumor that Big Sky's Shedhorn lift might close. Here is the direct answer from Dax Schieffer debunking that rumor:

"I'm not sure the question, but if it is whether Big Sky planned on shutting down the Shedhorn Chair permanently, that would be news to me. I know we're expanding some new acreage even further west of Liberty, which would require access to the Shedhorn Lift, so I can give a fairly confident no to that question.

If the question was that it was shutting down for the day, it does close earlier than our other lifts because it requires more time to sweep the mountain out of 'hole' lifts, which are what we refer to as lifts that do not have access to the base area from the bottom."

I know we're expanding some new acreage even further west of Liberty

i wish he would've expanded on this. like i said before, another rumor and don't know specifics; but that area Dax is refering to is owned by the YS club, technically. (so i've heard) :?

btw, thanks for the follow-up Tony.

I'm going to Big Sky for the first time this year (Late Jan/early Feb)free condo! :wink: ..

Tony, what would run/s (if any) would you compare at Mammoth to Liberty Bowl ? I'm getting the willy's just looking at pictures of Lone Peak. :oops:

Any other advice on the area (from Tony or others)? The area looks like a blast. (p.s. I checked out your info on your snow page).
I'm also searching the site for more TR's.

I'm likley driving, so I may take a day or two to hit Bridger and maybe something in the SLC area on the way/ way back.

hit everything in the TR and the dictator chutes. explore shedhorn, swifty and thuderwolf lifts. challenger is where it's at though. check MLB out too. that'll keep you busy. you'll find enough runs there. how long you there for? have fun!

I'll probably be there a full 7 days.. plus maybe a side trip to Bridger for a day. not sure I'm up for all of those chutes, though.. :oops:

It's a bit hard to draw analogies beween Lone Peak and Mammoth. The top of Mammoth is like many glaciated cirques, very steep where you drop in, rarely sustains that pitch for more than ~500 vertical, gradually tapers off after that. Paranoid is the exception, and I would say Paranoid and Lenin are a good analogy, with Marx being similar for most of the run but not quite as steep at the top. Liberty Bowl is less steep (average pitch like the face of 3) but it's 1,500 vertical and none of it is groomed.

If you're comfortable on Lenin, the next step up would be to some of the adjacent Dictator Chutes or the Gullies. These are 40+ degrees, in some ways like Wipe Out, but more difficult due to variable snow in the Dictators and more confined choke points in the Gullies. North Snowfields into Moonlight have a broad Climax-like top section, then a traverse over no-fall zones to Rip's or Great Falls, which are comparable to the Gullies. The Big is a step up from that, and as I've mentioned before, was under 2001's conditions the most intimidating run I've ever skied personally.

A key difference between Mammoth and Big Sky is the latter's sketchier coverage and more variable snow surfaces. I'm still annoyed about my "dead legs" in January 2006, because the Big Couloir had optimal conditions and was obviously quite enjoyable. Conversely, in a lean year like the past one, I suspect Lone Peak's more extreme runs weren't even open all that often. Last year at Mammoth was a reality check in this regard. We are used to having this kind of terrain open with forgiving snow surfaces for many months each season. At most other areas it's not like that.

Thanks for the comparisons, Tony. It's exactly what I was looking for, even as hard as it might be to compare the 2...it gives me at least some idea as what to expect.. at least terrain-wise.

Back