Sun Peaks BC, Feb. 26-27, 2006

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
As I expected my digestive disorder was temporary and I was ready to ski again Sunday. I decided to stay out of trouble by skiing with the local Sun Guide snowhosts. They were quite excited by the 4 inches of new snow and spent the early morning in lightly tracked runs, occasionally dipping into the trees on either side. After lunch we skied a circuit covering all 3 mountains. Weather was overcast and temps in the 15F range.

The 2 main mountains (Sunburst and Sundance) are south facing above the village base, but everything was packed powder Sunday with no hint of hard or crusty subsurfaces. In midwinter the cold temps and frequent cloud cover preserve the snow just as well up there as north exposure does here in the U.S. I have observed this same weather and conditions with south exposure at Lake Louise, Big White and The Big Mountain. The new mountain (Morrissey, opened 3 years ago) is on the other side of the village and faces north. All 3 are primarily intermediate in pitch, but with a few steeper lines.

Above Sunburst is Tod Mountain (the original name of the ski area) which has maybe 700 vertical above timberline. This area was fogged in Sunday so the guides didn't go up there. The Tod alpine is also accessible from the Burfield chair, which takes 22 minutes to climb about 2,700 vertical. Burfield will eventually be split into 2 chairs probably also upgraded to high speed.

On Monday it warmed up to the 20's early morning and around freezing by noon when I had to leave to catch my flight. I headed directly to the alpine, which was now below the clouds but was raked by strong crosswinds. The winds played havoc with the alpine snow, which varied from turn to turn among pack, loose sift and breakable crust. The lower half of Burfield is Sun Peaks most difficult terrain, so I skied Challenger to sample that. The snow down there was thick but easier to manage than the alpine. As I reached the bottom of Burfield the snow became heavier with the warmer temps despite it still being overcast. So, as one of the Sunday guides alluded, by March the south exposure can affect the snow conditions.

I have similar impression here as with my visits to Big White and Silver Star in 1999. All of these are outstanding family resorts with uncrowded slopes and nearly all the lodging has ski-in-ski-out convenience. And prices are still much less than the popular (and busier) Colorado areas along I-70 with similar terrain. SunPeaks is definitely the biggest with 3000+ acres, probably as much terrain as Big White and Silver Star combined. Big White gets the most snow of the 3. Silver Star's strength is the backside north facing Putnam Creek, which is comparable to Telluride's chair 9. Steep fall lines are shorter at Big White and less favorably exposed at Sun Peaks.

022606_morrissey.JPG

022606_burfield.JPG

022606_laststash.JPG

022706_sundance.JPG

022706_crystal.JPG

022706_tbar.JPG

022706_challenger1.JPG

022706_challenger2.JPG

I love the BC interior but there are problems...

But too many of the resorts face SOUTH - Sun Peaks, Big White, Silver Star -- even Big Mountain, MT.

I skied Sun Peaks on a bad weekend in late February - Friday was sunny ---nice drive from Seattle. But it created crusty snow over the entire mountain.

Therefore, anything east facing was great....the steep stuff. But the snowfall of 2-4"/day never covered up the crust from one sunny day.

Colorado may be over-developed, but it faces north. That is key.

Chris C. and I share the prejudice about north exposure due to our home bases in California. I have modified mine some after skiing in Canada for the past decade. There are 3 ameliorating issues up there:
1) Lower sun angle. By March it's high enough that even in Canada it's an issue by then.
2) Colder temperatures. Below 20F a sunny south slope will stay dry packed powder. I've observed this at Castle Mt. and Lake Louise even in March. Also Vail's Back Bowls in December.
3) Chronic cloud cover. Big Mountain, Schweitzer, Red Mt., Fernie, Big White, all chronically cloudy and/or foggy. It's a good thing these areas have nice tree skiing.

In California if it's not snowing it's usually sunny (true in Utah and Colorado also). High temps here are not often below 20F. If you're cold in the Sierra, it's usually because of wind. Sun angle and temps are high enough I remember skiing nice corn on the winter solstice once off Alpine Meadows' south-facing Sherwood chair.

You should expect spring conditions by early March on the south facing slopes in Canada. At places like Big White and Lake Louise these are primarily intermediate and can be groomed, while the steeper stuff is better exposed and usually stays packed powder. It's when the advanced ungroomed terrain faces south that you have a problem, and I do see this flaw in the Burfield area of Sun Peaks.

The area with the most serious problem by far with steep south facing terrain is Jackson Hole. Any advance scheduled trip there later than President's weekend is highly speculative IMHO.

Back