Marmot Basin, Alberta 2/10/07

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to Patrick for recommending that I check out Marmot Basin (note to admin: ski area #123). Marmot is located near Jasper, a 2 hour drive after Friday dinner at Mike Wiegele Heliskiing in Blue River. Jasper (10F) was much colder than Blue River, but there was an inversion so it was more like 20F skiing at Marmot Saturday.

Like many Alberta areas, Marmot has a low snow reputation, but this year they were in full operation on opening day November 23. Snow was uniformly packed powder and much softer than the opening day of this trip at Kicking Horse. There had only been an inch or two recently, but there was much more powder in some of the trees, nearly 2 weeks old but still fluffy due to low water content. Though primary exposure is east, there was no sun effect on snow this far north in early February.

Marmot Basin is a medium size area by western standards but has an excellent balance and diversity of terrain. The 1050 vertical base area express lift serves beginner and intermediate trails. The steeper cruisers are above, served by the 1020 vertical Paradise lift that emerges just above timberline. I had 6 runs on the 890 vertical Knob lift in the alpine, which reminds me of some of my favorite advanced intermediate terrain on Mammoth's chair 5. A long traverse skier's left from Knob leads to Charlie's Bowl, a ~35 degree steep open slope comparable to Climax. Marmot Peak is about 500 vertical above the top of Knob, and a few locals were hiking up there.

I think the 1007 vertical north facing Eagle Ridge chair is new since Patrick was here, and there are advanced intermediate runs and glades near the lift. Dropping skier's right from Eagle Ridge toward the base are much steeper bowls and glades, and this area was practically empty on the 2 runs I skied there.

With good weather and snow on a Saturday, it was probably a busy day by Marmot standards, with 5 minute lines at the base and Paradise chairs if you weren't single. There were lots of families as it's the closest sizeable area to Edmonton, about 220 miles. I skied 19,800 vertical from 10AM to 2:30PM so I could drive the Columbia Icefield Parkway before dark on the way back to Calgary.

Tony Crocker":3igm7lr5 said:
Thanks to Patrick for recommending that I check out Marmot Basin
My pleasure. :P

There had only been an inch or two recently, but there was much more powder in some of the trees, nearly 2 weeks old but still fluffy due to low water content.

It's also off the radar for many folks as it's much further. Low traffic. It's a long drive from Calgary and Calgarians have so much to choose from at much closer range. Marmot Basin is also a 4 hour drive from Edmonton which is roughtly the same as the time between Edmonton and Banff.

It also suffer from lack of big numbers (snowfall, vertical, spectacular terrain and lifts). That reputation is somewhat dated since the arriving of the Eagle Ridge chair and the opening of some steeper terrain which used be permanently off limits.

I think the 1007 vertical north facing Eagle Ridge chair is new since Patrick was here, and there are advanced intermediate runs and glades near the lift. Dropping skier's right from Eagle Ridge toward the base are much steeper bowls and glades, and this area was practically empty on the 2 runs I skied there.

IMHO, that is the best part of the mountain. Either the Glade or the drop off the ridge (Groomer off Paradise are also fun). The lift was in it's first(?) year when I went in March 2002.

Tony Crocker":3pmafrl5 said:
Thanks to Patrick for recommending that I check out Marmot Basin (note to admin: ski area #123).

Guess I've got some work to do. This season I've only added one, The Canyons.

Admin":3n1gzzmr said:
You should move every few years. :lol:

Isn't that how Chris C accumulated all these areas? :wink:

So is Marmot worthwhile?

It looks thin....but in a low snow amount.

I would say yes for 2-3 days on a Canadian Standpoint. However I would Tony answer that question as he's travelled much more than I have.

Jasper is a beautiful. Think Banff with few tourists.

Admin":375rpdld said:
I probably have 4 more coming this season :) .

According to marketing director Brian Rode Marmot sees about 200K skiers per season vs. 500K at lake Louise.

Obviously I would recommend skiing here based on the very nice conditions I saw. It's particularly good for a group of mixed abilities because of the variety and balance of terrain. In normal seasons I would presume late season is best due to gradual accumulation but good preservation, similar to but probably a bit better than Lake Louise.

For destination visitors the main issue is remoteness. For me Marmot was on the way to Blue River. It's also on the way to the small northern B.C. resorts of Powder King, Smithers and Shames. One of the Wiegele employees who skied with us Friday is from Prince George and skis Powder King. He says the northern resorts are like Whitewater in that there's lots of snow but lift access is limited and you need to have backcountry gear to realize the full potential of those places.

But most people on a Calgary based road trip are probably more inclined to go from Lake Louise 1 hour west to Kicking Horse and/or 2 or 4 hours south to Panorama or Fernie vs. 2.5 hours north to Marmot. With the recent warm-up in temps I suspect Marmot had better surface conditions last Saturday than those B.C. alternatives.

Another surprise was that Routes 5 and 16 from Kamloops (I came to Blue River from the other direction last year) to Jasper (4.5 hours) are a much straighter and faster drive than the Trans Canada Hwy through Revelstoke and Golden to Lake Louise.

Pics below.

021007_knoblift.JPG

021007_downknob.JPG

021007_charlies.JPG

021007_park.JPG

021007_paradise.JPG

021007_eagletobase.JPG

021007_eagletojasper.JPG

021007_basetoeagle.JPG

Tony Crocker":21jr1a7a said:
Obviously I would recommend skiing here based on the very nice conditions I saw. It's particularly good for a group of mixed abilities because of the variety and balance of terrain. In normal seasons I would presume late season is best due to gradual accumulation but good preservation, similar to but probably a bit better than Lake Louise.

Your comments perfectly reflect my observations.

For destination visitors the main issue is remoteness.

Some well travelled skiers might find one week is a bit much at Marmot. Terrain is fairly small compared to the bigger areas. However a Jasper/Banff combo is the idea way to visit this area and a spectacular drive on the Icefield Parkway between these two places.

It's also on the way to the small northern B.C. resorts of Powder King, Smithers and Shames.

Powder King is so much further. Even the distance between PK and Smithers/Shames is very important. Just these 3 northern BC areas is a lot of driving. If someone would go, I would recommend flying into Prince George (closer to PK) or Prince Rupert (closer to Shames/Smithers).

Pics below.

Unfortunately you didn't get clear skies and get a clear view of the ridge between the summit and Eagle Ridge plus the view across the valley. If you hike the 30 minutes (don't remember how long it took) about the Knob Chair, you get to see Mount Robson.

If someone would go, I would recommend flying into Prince George (closer to PK) or Prince Rupert (closer to Shames/Smithers).
I suspect those places have high airfares compared to Calgary or Edmonton.

Unfortunately you didn't get clear skies and get a clear view of the ridge between the summit and Eagle Ridge plus the view across the valley. If you hike the 30 minutes (don't remember how long it took) about the Knob Chair, you get to see Mount Robson.
The ridge between Summit and Eagle tends to be windswept and rocky with a shallow continental snowpack: thus much of it was roped off as being out of bounds. The best hike-to-skiing is straight up from the top of Knob chair. There is also backcountry skiing off the north side of the ridge between Knob and Paradise, but there's a 45-minute slog out to the base from that one. I had a view of Mt. Robson last Friday at Wiegele and posted that pic last night. :wink:

Icefield parkway pics below:

Attachments

• icepkwy214.JPG
    icepkwy214.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,918
  • icepkwy205.JPG
    icepkwy205.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 3,907
  • icepkwy203.JPG
    icepkwy203.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,916
  • icepkwy201.JPG