Chugach Powder Guides Snowcat, 3/26/07

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Needless to say, no standby heliskiing on Monday. But since the helis flew, seats opened up for the snowcat.

Terrain was mostly duplicative of Thursday. The snowcat runs drop into the same drainage from either Notch Mt (~2,700 ft) through scattered trees or Sunnyside (~3,000 ft.) which is mostly alpine. On Thursday we did only one run from Sunnyside due to visibility, but today we had 3, only one from its highest point due to fairly severe wind effect up there. The wind had compacted the snow some overnight, so it was not nearly as deep as the heli terrain, which had also received quite a bit more snow. But the best of it, particularly from the Notch side, was deeper than Thursday, and overall was close to average in snow quality for my 25 lifetime snowcat days.

Once a gain, a worthwhile option for a second or third day after a storm when the lift service is mostly tracked out.

Pictures:

032607_guide_adam.JPG

032607_firstcatrun.JPG

032607_sunnyside.JPG

032607_oneatatime.JPG

032607_sunnyside_pickup.JPG

First snowcat day had a few guys from Philly that were a bit slow. It did not affect terrain I got to ski, but we did one fewer run than the later day that Adam was with me.

If there's a substantial amount of new snow, as on Friday March 23 of my trip, I agree, better to make the fresh tracks on the North Face. Then do the cat 2 or 3 days after the storm, assuming you're not on the heli of course.

If I ever go back, I'd be inclined to do the 5-day heli package. The cat does have the advantages of:
1) Being cheaper than most cat skiing
2) Often being available on short notice.

It sounds like your time was very booked - in terms of Heli and Cat.

I was not sure about Alyeska/Chugach....but I could not get to Valdez, ....nor want to. However, the Chugach near Anchorage are off the charts. No need to go further in my book.

My time was not busy at all. I asked my brother if he could get to Denver for a free ticket in late Feb for a late March trip. The really nice hotel - Alyeska Princess - was doing a special of $200-250 with 2 lift tickets. That meant $50/night for me -- and the place was so nice. It's a l80s/e90s Japanese investment gone bad so why not?

We went down every day to the heli-port to see if we were flying. Only 1 out of 3 days did we fly. We tried every day...and 2-4" and some fog would shut them down. Same 3-5 of us.

The heli operation was not booked solid for any day in late March in 2004. It looks like it has changed A LOT in a few years.

Overall, Valdez would not worth the risk/cost/reward ratio in my book. Valdez might even flame out a bit if the Chugach Guides/Alyeska get the word out.

My impression is that Alaska heliskiing is still expanding. CPG has expanded substantially: Seward terrain last year, Tordrillo Lodge this year. Points North at Cordova is well regarded. Haines is being developed. Our guide at Arpa said Haines is a bit of a "cowboy" operation now, but that it will probably settle down and be good for clients in a few years.

Back