Snowbird, UT 3/7/2010

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 39: A full day at the Bird.

Tony Crocker arrived in town Saturday evening, so Bobby Danger, Tele Jon and I were sitting on the Tram Plaza at 9 a.m. Sunday morning to hook up. Tony strolled in around 9:15 and Ben arrived a moment earlier, so we started the day as four.

It snowed heavily for a brief period in the morning, and there was no point in a warmup so we headed straight up the Tram and directly to Great Scott. I was somewhat apprehensive about bringing the visitors through the main entrance as it's been rather bony this season, so Tony and Ben followed me through the Rat's Nest while Jon and Bobby took the high line. My concerns were somewhat unfounded as the main route in wasn't as bad as I had suspected. We were pretty much the first ones in there, and smooth chalk was already covered with about 3 or 4 inches of medium-density untracked snow. The only thing that could've made it better would have been if we could see what we were actually skiing.

After a bit we were joined by a bunch of the early 20-somethings in Tony's annual group, including Ed, Mark and Nick, the latter from Steamboat Springs, after a lap down Broomstick on Gad 2 where Snowbird Powder Shots had coincidentally set up.

00 snowbird powdershots admin tony crocker 100307.jpg

00 snowbird powdershots ben 100307.jpg

00 snowbird powdershots bobby danger 100307.jpg

00 snowbird powdershots tele jon 100307.jpg

00 snowbird powdershots tony crocker 100307.jpg

00 snowbird powdershots admin 100307.jpg

Instead of heading back up Gad 2, however, we dropped down through Carbonite, finding more good snow although also a bit more bumped underneath than had been the case higher up. Ben, unfortunately, found himself fighting his equipment, which these days is limited to some race stock slalom skis from his days on the MIT Ski Team. They just weren't doing the trick in the cut-up snow remaining from Friday's storm. I had my Volkl CMH Explosives in the truck, so we decided to return to Peruvian Gulch to retrieve them for the remainder of his week, again via Great Scott. This time, though, we all entered via the top entrance and found the snow still great even though many others had been through since our first trip.

We swapped skis for Ben on the Bypass Road and I shed a layer as the day warmed. We returned to the Tram to build an appetite for lunch by hiking to the High Baldy Traverse and dropping a full-length Eddie's, where surprisingly few folks had been. The lightly-tracked fresh snow was divine from top to bottom, and the chute through the middle cliff band is very nicely filled in. We exited via Eye of the Needle and finished through Broken Arm.

The young'uns kept skiing through lunch as they took a bite to eat while Ben was swapping skis. Bumped into rdd01 and Mike in the Rendezvous, as well as Kristen Ulmer. We met up with the kids at Peruvian after lunch, but Ben was already wiped from fighting those slalom skis most of the morning, and he headed back to the Iron Blosam to call it a day while the rest of us headed up.

We went through the Tunnel, and emerged for a run down Mineral, finding surprisingly untracked snow in the lower Chamonix Chutes, albeit with some firm footing underneath. One ride up MBE showed untracked wind sift on Hyena Ridge, so straight there we went, this time with a stray dog in tow: Rick from NJ, who was visiting by himself and asked during the lift ride if he could tag along. We next went all the way out the Powder Paradise traverse to the Sunday Cliffs, pausing for a moment to take in the view down into Mary Ellen Gulch before I took the only action photos I shot all day.

01 snowbird sunday cliffs tele jon 100307.jpg

02 snowbird sunday cliffs tony crocker 100307.jpg

03 snowbird sunday cliffs rick 100307.jpg

04 snowbird sunday cliffs mark 100307.jpg

05 snowbird sunday cliffs bobby danger 100307.jpg

06 snowbird sunday cliffs ed 100307.jpg

Nick decided to drop a small rock band at the top of the Sunday Cliffs.

07 snowbird sunday cliffs nick 100307.jpg

He set up well...

08 snowbird sunday cliffs nick 100307.jpg

...but there was more rock there than he thought, ripping off a ski at the launch...

09 snowbird sunday cliffs nick 100307.jpg

...and somersaulting over the edge.

10 snowbird sunday cliffs nick 100307.jpg

11 snowbird sunday cliffs nick 100307.jpg

Getting lower we scouted for a line through the Flora Cliffs that we could negotiate. The first one was a no-go for me. The second, however, looked doable, so I straight-lined it through the chute and out onto the apron below. Convinced that I had succeeded, I knocked off a turn or two to burn speed and was back to normal skiing when I hit a drift and went over the handlebars. The kids all nailed it before Crocker rag dolled down through, and he wore himself out climbing back up to retrieve a pole he'd left behind.

It was by now just after 3 p.m., so we hurried back to Hidden Peak to again hike to High Baldy Traverse. This time, however, we would drop Eddie's Snowfield before traversing over do a full Keyhole below the Doorknob Gate. The weather was finally clearing, and we took full advantage to relax above the chute in the afternoon sun before dropping through.

12 snowbird keyhole bobby danger 100307.jpg

13 snowbird keyhole rick tony crocker 100307.jpg

14 snowbird keyhole ed tele jon 100307.jpg

By this point Crocker was shot. Completely. He headed down via a groomer while the rest of us traversed out High Blackjack to what Bobby calls North Chute (not the one below Tower 4).

We hooked up with Acidchrist and his NYS buddies at the Wildflower for wings and beer après-ski, then hit the pool and hot tub before the usual Crocker group dinner at the Iron Blosam. Stray dog Rick was still in tow, and Tele Jon joined the dinner this year as well. I finally got home around 11 p.m. last night -- a full day at The Bird, indeed!

So is Tony's curse ending? Or did the odds finally catch up with him in Utah powder land.

schubwa":6hpu3frp said:
Did you and Tony happen to discuss the merits of Snowbird during the springtime?
:dead horse:

Barely. However, it was my objective to traverse and hike him to death at "all fall line access" Snowbird...and I succeeded. :lol:

What a good day. Good meeting/skiing with you Guido. If you're ever in Steamboat, send me a message and I'll show you some of our stashes. Thanks for showing us the 'Bird. By the way, that accidental front flip inspired me to try one purposely the next day at Alta. I got the spin around but didn't ski away. I have it on HD Video. I'll point you to the upload once I have it online somewhere.

Nick

Likewise, Nick! One of these days I'll get back over there and we'll make some turns on Buff Pass.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

Barely. However, it was my objective to traverse and hike him to death at "all fall line access" Snowbird...and I succeeded.

Nice.......... :-D

No complaints about the traverse and hike mode Sunday as that's the appropriate strategy 3 days after a storm. At least that's a choice at Snowbird as opposed to a requirement at Alta for the best quality terrain. :stir:

well we really didn't go out along traverse - snowbird really has only one long traverse - mid -cirque-- a.k.a.- ho che min . there are plenty of other traverses out bass benches - tiger tail upper one could reasonable keep going till they reached coffin chutes just below & slightly east of scotty's bowl which is just west of snowbird !!! :stir: that's a pretty loong traverse from the top of gad two chair. only thing at alta beginning to be that length would be patsy marle !! three or four inches fell on sat. suprise cream . personal preference would have been great scott or something in upper peruvian gulch baldy was grand top down through eye of the needle but i thought great scott had slightly better snow . hiking baldy & going out through keyhole to end the day was spot on snow in keyhole was perfect that time of day with the western sun beginning to do it's thing !!

"Down goes Frazier!"

Can we assume, that will no followup on the huck story, that Nick is AOK?

Harvey44":2z8vq58j said:
Can we assume, that will no followup on the huck story, that Nick is AOK?

Nick's just fine -- in fact, he couldn't wait to see those photos Sunday night. Scroll up -- poster "naromando" is, in fact, the one and only Nick.

Nick is not completely OK after his follow-up huck at Alta on Monday. He tried another front flip, got only 3/4 of it and landed on his back. The body impact was in deep fluff, so no problem there. But the tail of one of his skis hit a buried rock so he slammed his shin hard into the front of his boot. He had an ice bag at lunch and did not ski the afternoon. He was driving home to Steamboat that evening.

This one was also captured on video, but Nick has not posted it.

I am completely recovered from both of those hucks previously mentioned. In fact, I am ready to attempt again this weekend at Steamboat... this time I will be tucking a lot harder to get the full rotation though haha.

Here is the HD version of the huck that Crocker was speaking of the following day. Full HD. Didn't quite ski away.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGIymNBueJI[/youtube]

Back