Snowbird, March 11-12, 2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Friday was another sunny day. I skied with Ben and 3 of his JPL friends who came for the last part of the Iron Blosam week. After a first run on Upper Primrose we spent the rest of the morning on Little Cloud. This allowed intermediate Jessica to do laps on Mark Malu while I hit the windpack in Little Cloud Bowl and Ben, Eric and Mark poked around the Rasta trees for some interesting lines. I joined them for a couple of these. Mark headed into the steeper part:
IMG_8047.JPG

I went next, then took these pics of Eric:
IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8054.JPG

And Ben:
IMG_8058.JPG

IMG_8060.JPG

IMG_8062.JPG

After lunch I went back up the tram to watch the Freeskiing competition. Here's someone dropping in just above North Chute:
IMG_8074a.jpg

The Silver Fox competition area was all shaded, but the spray from this wipeout in Rat's Nest was illuminated by afternoon sun.
IMG_8070a.jpg

There were lots of spectators, some of whom built "stadium seat" trenches in the snow.
IMG_8072.JPG

The rocks skier's left of North Chute were the popular area for competitors to get some big air.
IMG_8078a.jpg

IMG_8073a.jpg

IMG_8076a.jpg

I caught a late tram and finished on Jaws, 17,700 vertical for the day.

Saturday I met admin and the 2 BobbyD's at the spectator area for the Freeskiing finals on High Baldy. This meant the Silver Fox competition area was open after being closed to the public for a few days. I took my first Tram run through North Chute, which is skiable for the second time of my nearly annual Snowbird visits of 20+ years. Admin and company did the same coming over from Alta. The weather made the day uninspiring, to quote admin. In my case, I had skied better Friday, but my illness was slowing me down more Saturday, with laryngitis now added to the mix.

It was thick overcast, the fog lowering onto the peaks late morning, then snowing in early afternoon. Conditions were quite decent, all things considered. The lower mountain had been sun-softened the past 2 days but it did not freeze at lower elevation overnight, so lower groomers were OK. Not so in Mineral Basin, where admin's crew had a bad-vis run over frozen death cookies coming over from Alta. For those of us who had skied Friday, we knew the north facing steeps were still in good shape. We all skied Jaws, which has smooth snow due to the deterrence of a ~3 foot burned off approach from the Upper Cirque traverse. Admin's crew returned to Alta ~2PM and I got lucky with a hole in the clouds skiing down to the Mineral chair. For my last run I picked my way slowly through the Rat's Nest area where that competitor had crashed Friday, a first for me. It has some sketchy entries/traverses, interesting to try but North Chute is much more enjoyable.

kingslug":2nr35tgx said:
Cool pix..sux I couldn't get out there, would have liked to see the nationals!
For future reference, the semi-finals and finals are streamed live on the FWT website. That's what I watched Saturday afternoon after departing Alta at around 11:45. The light was incredibly flat, the ungroomed was unpleasantly stiff with crunchy crud beneath, and the groomers were merely OK and not the carvelicious goodness they could be.

The finals probably had a total of 2 hrs of course delays, as clouds and fog repeatedly dropped visibility to zero. They couldn't even run the mens super-final - they ran out of time.

The partial finals on Saturday had to be difficult for the competitors. High Baldy got afternoon sun Thursday and Friday and thus had a thin crust in the overcast conditions Saturday morning. So it was impressive to see them ripping that terrain under those conditions. We amateurs had the better of the snow conditions in the direct north facing Silver Fox terrain that had been used for previous days' competitions.

Back