Snowbird, 4/30/2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Saturday's decision where to ski was a more complex call than Friday's. With 16+ inches new snow the smoother subsurface at Alta from being closed Monday-Thursday was no longer relevant IMHO. Admin may disagree, but nobody was hitting bottom at Snowbird with that much snow, particularly since the storm started out high density before lightening up through the night. Admin was correct in his prediction of greater crowds at Snowbird, more on that later. Ultimately Snowbird was chosen so our eastern guests Rob and Liz who are not in LCC so much could ski both areas over the 3 days. Their host Andy has a Snowbird only pass and hit 100 days for the season this weekend.

We did not get up there until after 9AM so I parked in the lot across from Chickadee as the Alta Bypass Road spots were already full. We did not even look at the tram as thankfully Peruvian was open. Rob is a Killington instructor and had some fat ski demos. Liz is a strong skier with K2 Phat Luvs but has much less powder experience. So Andy chose traverse-intensive runs on a busy day to maximize untracked much as admin or I would have done.

The first run was a series of low Baldy traverses/fall lines essentially identical to the second run admin led back on Fat Tuesday March 8.
IMG_8900.JPG

Liz and Rob
IMG_8902.JPG

Liz and Andy
IMG_8906.JPG

We arrived back at Peruvian to the longest line I've ever seen there, probably 10 minutes. Up the chair we were relieved to see the the tunnel open (though without the conveyor belt) so we walked through to Mineral Basin. No surprise there was a similar line for that chair, but it remained in the 10 minute range while we were there most of the morning. First 3 runs up the lift were all out past Powder Paradise in the interest of snow quality. Hillary Step opened after our first run, so Rob and Andy climbed it twice and I once for a run far out the Bookends.

Weather was overcast all day so the snow stayed winter conditions except for maybe the lowest quarter of the mountain. There were localized fog patches and combined with the crowds for the Mineral chair I took no pictures back there. Visibility wasn't all that bad as I only wore goggles for one of the Powder Paradise traverses all day long.

Departing Mineral Basin we hiked to the High Baldy Traverse.
IMG_8912.JPG

Andy led us to the Alta boundary, then into Boneyard, which I had not skied before. Rob in Boneyard:
IMG_8915.JPG

We got down to the Plaza at 1:45PM, late enough to wait only 10 minutes to get into the Forklift for lunch. I would not have wanted to be down there an hour earlier given that Mid-Gad and Rendezvous restaurants were closed for the season.

After lunch enough jaded locals had gone home so we could use the tram. Andy led us out the Cirque Traverse toward the Gad Chutes and I suggested we push out to Wilbere Bowl/Lone Pine for the longer fall line and perhaps less traffic. Rob and Andy skiing there:
IMG_8922.JPG

Snow was well churned by 3:30, but I could find soft pockets for most turns. But these are still very demanding runs and Liz called it a day when we got to the road at the top of Big Emma.

There was still time for Andy, Rob and me to catch last tram, so we headed for North Chute. Here I'm below that during a rare break in the cloudy weather.
IMG_8924.JPG

17,300 today, about half powder.

As noted above I have observed the increase in Snowbird's crowds vs. Alta this season. I don't think it's due to snowboarders as I didn't notice an outsize proportion of them Saturday. I find little excuse for not running Gadzoom or opening one of the other restaurants on a Saturday with 16 inches new snow. This situation is ironic because excessive lift lines at Alta before Collins went high speed in 2005 were my primary complaint there. When fully operating Snowbird's lines other than the tram are still manageable, but the difference in traffic does effect how fast powder gets tracked out. I still believe the combined ticket offers maximum flexibility on powder days, though not an option on April 30 with Baldy and Sugarloaf lifts closed.

At any rate it was an amazing weekend. You know it's good when you ski April 29 to May 1 on the powder boards and the everyday skis never get out of the bag!

Tony Crocker":1yfa6et4 said:
When fully operating Snowbird's lines other than the tram are still manageable, but the difference in traffic does effect how fast powder gets tracked out.

I don't think the Admin and others with more experience on those mountains would agree. My personal experience is to the contrary.

I don't agree about the liftlines but I do agree that Snowbird gets tracked out faster.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Admin":28kyt4x7 said:
I don't agree about the liftlines but I do agree that Snowbird gets tracked out faster.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
I misread that, :oops: I thought Tony was saying that Alta gets tracked out quicker.

Before 2005 Alta got tracked out slower, but at the price of severe lift lines on Germania. Pre-Collins vertical skied per day was routinely 50% higher at Snowbird than Alta. For the next few years I believed powder tracking out was similar as Alta's lift capacity was raised while the opening of Mineral Basin in 2000 added considerably to Snowbird's edge in skiable terrain. Due to lift placement, traverses, etc. vertical skied per day was still more at Snowbird, but maybe only 20% more.

For unknown reasons traffic during this season at least has shifted considerably in Snowbird's direction. You can see it clearly in the parking and some of the liftlines. I also just checked and for me vertical skied per day was as high at Alta as at Snowbird this year. My proportion of Snowbird to Alta skiing, historically 3-to-1, will likely be closer to 2-to-1 in the future, as I told admin before I came home.

Back