Mt. Baldy 4/16/05

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Garry Klassen had been giving me good reports last week, so I had to go up there and see for myself. While in many SoCal springs you need to get up early to get the snow before it turns to slop, Garry said it's been freezing every night and the afternoons have been best on some breezy days this week.

Today was probably better with clear skies and no wind. I arrived at 10AM and skied 4 runs on south facing chair 4 first. Only one of the runs there, Roller Coaster, no longer has continuous coverage, so chair 4 might survive another week.

When I moved to Thunder at 11:30 most runs had softened but over a firm enough base to make carving or bump skiing easy. I had excellent runs on Emile's, Herb's and South Bowl as well as the 3 groomers before a quick lunch break. Thunder has wall-to-wall coverage of up to 6 feet and could be skiable for another month.

Crowds were light with no lift lines. The low skier density kept even the main runs from getting much in the way of slush clumps until after 2PM. But the mogul and tree runs were good all the way to 4PM closing. I had 4 corn runs in South Bowl total plus one in Tube. The traverse back is still completely covered though a couple of short sections of it might lose cover by next weekend.

Snow is gone from bottom of chair 1.

bldybase.JPG

But deep wall to wall coverage remains on Thunder.
thunder_041605.JPG

Traverse out to NW facing tree runs in South Bowl
baldy_expand.JPG

View up South Bowl
sbowl_up.jpg

Lower part of South Bowl
sbowl_down.jpg

Thunder Liftline
liftline_thunder.JPG

Lower Thunder merge of Emile's (center) and Skyline (right)
bumps_emiles.JPG

View from Fire Road down Herb's to Robin's, 10,000 foot Baldy peak in background
andys.JPG

Last edited:
Back