Mt. Dana and not-quite the Solstice Couloir - 7.3.2011

Skiace

This TR is very late, but hey it's summer, and I finally got the pictures from my buddy Ben, so I figured it's worth a share. The Solstice Couloir is a pretty sweet line on the north-east face of Mt. Dana, serving up roughly 1200 vertical, the top half of which is around 40+ degrees. It is a classic line of the Eastern Sierra, accessible from Tioga Pass, but most of the time it sports a pretty gnarly cornice. This spring however, a significant chunk of the cornice fell about a month and a half ago, making the entrance much lower-risk than is often common. As such, the approach from the west side of Mt. Dana became more attractive. For the 4th of July weekend, Ben Solish and I planned to ski the couloir by skinning most of the west face, as it rises at a moderate but consistent pitch from the pass. Reports from TGR the two weeks previous indicated that conditions were ripe though likely to deteriorate fast with the warm weather. We parked just inside the gate to Yosemite, utilizing Ben's park pass to avoid fees on the way out. Our approximate planned route is shown below, with the ascent in blue and the descent in red (click on pics for bigger):

We intended to start hiking at 6am in order to reach the couloir by 11, but were a bit slow-moving in the morning and didn't get underway until 6:45. As I'll get to later, we didn't end up skiing Solstice, so this shot from the car at 6:45 shows our actual route up and down (hiking in blue and skinning/skiing in red). Portions of it are obscured, but the red line was actually continuous snow on both the up and the down.

I did not remember to re-calibrate my watch that morning, but it read 9,800' at the car, which is maybe 150 feet low. At about 7:30 the we reached ugly but continuous snow on the west face, and the watch read 10,200. Here we stopped to put on our boots and switch to skinning.

Despite the severe suncups at this elevation and exposure, we didn't have much trouble skinning. I used the ski crampons that my dad had picked up for his Shasta trip, but Ben did fine without any. We made reasonable and steady progress for the first hour. Here's a look east across the Tioga pass, from about 10,800.

Some time around 8:30, we hit a problematic spot at the location the previous picture was taken. We came to the steepest pitch of the ascent, which was also still in the shade. It was rock solid, and I was only barely able to skin up it with the aid of ski crampons. Ben unfortunately could not get up it, and spent roughly an hour trying to get around by scrambling on rocks or boot-packing the refrozen snow. In the end, he waited until the sun hit and softened the snow enough to boot up the troublesome 150 vertical. This was an error in planning on my part, as dad had given me both an ice axe and boot crampons the night before, but I left them in the car. I left them assuming there would be no point in just one of us having these tools, not thinking about the scenario where I might need ski crampons and boot crampons would help Ben. This is a shot of Ben took just before boot packing up the pitch in question. I'm barely visible near the top of the rock line, below the sun.

Ben was feeling a little sluggish, as he had expended a lot of effort trying to get around the steep refrozen section below. Despite the hiccup, the next section was fairly smooth sailing, and we cruised to 11,500 or so by about 10:30. Here I am at the plateau, with our final pitch in the background. The peak of Mt. Dana is visible, and the entrance to the Solstice couloir is where the large snowfield almost meets the ridge-line snow, center frame. At this point we had about 1000 vertical to go, and I was cautiously optimistic of our chances at getting there in time to ski.

Looking south from the same vantage point:

Ben and the rest of the route ahead:

The final pitch was more difficult than I expected. Around 12,000' both Ben and I seemed to hit the wall. He'd been in Mammoth for 3 nights, I'd been there for 2, but we still were not sufficiently acclimated. Or perhaps more accurately, our combination of acclimation and conditioning were not sufficient. Progress slowed down significantly, and I reached the top of the snow field about 12:45. Ben was still a good ways behind me, so I rested, drank water, and snacked on beef jerky. I also walked over to the top of the Solstice couloir to inspect the entrance. Unfortunately I left the GoPro in my backpack so I don't have any pictures. I had plenty of time to inspect the entrance with Ben still hiking, however. While the skiers-left section of the cornice had indeed fallen, it was still a steep (shear) 4 feet in, with a subsequent traverse to get out from above rock exposure. It was an entrance I'd have no second thoughts about on a normal resort day, but in the backcountry (with consequences elevated) and my fatigue from the hike, I wasn't gung-ho on the idea. It turned out that Ben was even more tired than I, as he stopped skinning about 200 feet below me. So the decision was made to play it safe and ski what we'd hiked. Solstice will have to wait for another time. I walked back to my gear, skied down to Ben, and enjoyed the scenery as he rested and took his time gearing up for the descent. Ben snapped a shot of me resting before the payoff:

Two more of myself skiing the upper pitch, between ~12,500 and 11,500:

The snow was quite good for the first 1000 feet. It was a bit too textured to be truly smooth corn, but it had softened just the right amount to cruise without effort.

Inadvertently, Ben and I left a coordinated pair of tracks:

The lower sections were predictably disgusting snow, but we managed alright. By stopping and orienting myself above the tree line, I managed to get us back to the car with minimal navigation issues at about 2pm. Total vertical: 2600 up, 2200 skied.

And now for the not-so-flattering dark side of the day's adventures. I managed to let myself get severely dehydrated over the course of the day. I made an effort to drink plenty of water, and had been snacking on salty beef jerky, but that wasn't enough. During the final hike down and across the meadow (with skis+boots on the pack) I got nauseous and vomited. I felt better immediately, and assumed that I had simply pushed myself too hard physically. We weren't far from the car, and I was feeling tired but much better by the time we got there. I drank a bunch more water while resting and loading up to head down the pass. But within 10-15 minutes drive, I got nauseous again and had to pull over and vomit. So now I'd lost all the water I'd consumed for at least the previous hour or so, and wasn't feeling so hot. Ben drove the rest of the way back to Mammoth, and I laid down to rest for an hour. My resting heart-rate at this point was 100 bpm, which is apparently right on the border of go-straight-to-the-hospital territory. We knew that if I couldn't keep any fluids down soon, I'd need to get and IV. Luckily, I was able to drink a liter of pedialyte that dad brought over, and recovered.

All in all, it was a beautiful day to be out in the Sierras, and I gained valuable experience going forward. I will likely never leave crampons/axe behind on an early spring morning again, and will need more acclimation/conditioning before I can ski the enticing Solstice couloir. I am however, convinced that skinning up the west face is the preferred approach to Mt. Dana, and will do so again should the opportunity arise.

Ben took a ton of pictures, so there's lots more here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1000853916 ... directlink

Nice sequence of ski pics at the end of Ben's photo album.

Skiace":1c60bh6s said:
It was a bit too textured to be truly smooth corn, but it had softened just the right amount to cruise without effort.
That's what I thought about the snow in the chair 5 area at Mammoth the day before. Texture gradually increased each day. 2 weeks earlier at Shasta it was all smooth above ~9,000 feet.

not thinking about the scenario where I might need ski crampons and boot crampons would help Ben.
I also had the #-o reaction for not making this suggestion.

I will likely never leave crampons/axe behind on an early spring morning again
Guide Ben Mitchell estimates ski crampons are necessary on ~50% of spring backcountry trips. Boot crampons/ice axe are needed for steeper pitches. If the entire approach is no more than intermediate pitch you can probably get by with just ski crampons.

Around 12,000' both Ben and I seemed to hit the wall. He'd been in Mammoth for 3 nights, I'd been there for 2, but we still were not sufficiently acclimated. ......I managed to let myself get severely dehydrated over the course of the day. I made an effort to drink plenty of water, and had been snacking on salty beef jerky, but that wasn't enough.
Altitude acclimatization varies by individual, but the above is consistent with my experience. 12,000 is the point where a couple of nights is not enough, at least for me. The best solution is a whole week of acclimatization, as before Silverton in 2004 and Highlands Bowl this season. If that is not possible I recommend Diamox, effective for me on Mt. Fuji in 2009 and Mt. Shasta this year. Since Diamox is a diuretic, it's even more important to be vigilant about hydration and probably electrolytes too.

Tony Crocker":32t826xq said:
Skiace":32t826xq said:
Around 12,000' both Ben and I seemed to hit the wall. He'd been in Mammoth for 3 nights, I'd been there for 2, but we still were not sufficiently acclimated. ......I managed to let myself get severely dehydrated over the course of the day. I made an effort to drink plenty of water, and had been snacking on salty beef jerky, but that wasn't enough.
Altitude acclimatization varies by individual, but the above is consistent with my experience. 12,000 is the point where a couple of nights is not enough, at least for me. The best solution is a whole week of acclimatization, as before Silverton in 2004 and Highlands Bowl this season. If that is not possible I recommend Diamox, effective for me on Mt. Fuji in 2009 and Mt. Shasta this year. Since Diamox is a diuretic, it's even more important to be vigilant about hydration and probably electrolytes too.

A few thoughts...
* Yep, 12K is a wall for many if not most of us. I have a friend who basically shuts down at 12K and I know when I cross that threshold without needing an altimeter - even after sufficient acclimatization.
* I've found that at least 3 days of sleeping around 9K and going to 12K during the day takes care of most of my acclimatization, but a week is definitely better.
* Everyone is different, and age plays a role as well. What works for your buddy won't necessarily work for you.
* Keeping both hydrated and eating sufficient calories are key in helping avoid altitude problems, but dry salty foods are not the best option. If you opt for a sports drink, stick to simple things like Gatorade or even just lemonade. Dilute Gatorade by 50% - full strength is far too salty for altitude.
* There is research that suggests antacid tablets can help mitigate the symptoms of acute mountain sickness.
Diamox has worked well for some people on big mountain expeditions (ie: going above 16K) but has less positive effect on smaller mountains (12K). Again, this varies considerably by individual.
* Diamox is not without side effects that may be as bad as or worse than what you're taking it for:
Stomach Upset
While receiving treatment with Diamox, you can experience stomach-related side effects due to this medication. Side effects associated with upset stomach can include nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite. You may also develop changes in your bowel movement habits as a side effect of this medication. You can begin to experience frequent excretion of loose, watery stools (diarrhea) or may find it difficult to pass a stool (constipation). Additional symptoms associated with diarrhea and constipation include abdominal cramping, bloating or pain.

Taste Changes
Health professionals at Drugs.com, a peer-reviewed informational drug website, warn that certain patients can experience changes in taste as a side effect of Diamox treatment. Foods or fluids that you consume during Diamox treatment can taste abnormally bitter or bland. Such side effects are temporary and will subside once treatment with Diamox is completed.

Blurred Vision
Diamox can cause vision-related side effects to develop in certain people during treatment. You may experience blurred or double vision, which can interfere with your ability to walk or drive normally. Vision alterations can also contribute to additional side effects, including drowsiness, headache or confusion. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience dizziness, fainting or vision loss during treatment with Diamox.

I will likely never leave crampons/axe behind on an early spring morning again, and will need more acclimation/conditioning before I can ski the enticing Solstice couloir.

Despite doing just fine on Powerhouse, I definitely realized the need for an ice axe and both ski and boot crampons. There was a good 800ft. of 45º vertical at the top that was still firm enough to require kicked-in steps, and while my ski boots could do so in about 4 big kicks, it would have been really tough for my snowboarding partner. With an ice axe and crampons, I would have felt way more secure. I don't know anything about crampons and axes, though, so I'm hesitant to buy equipment.

Staley":5tzc9uz6 said:
I don't know anything about crampons and axes, though, so I'm hesitant to buy equipment.
No special expertise needed. Last July in NZ they issued crampons to a busload of tourists, the guide checked that everyone was securely strapped in and off we went onto the Franz Josef Glacier. On Shasta Ben Mitchell gave us about 10 minutes training on how to self arrest with an ice axe. Most of the time you're just using it as a secure walking aid on the uphill side. The ice axe also comes in handy in various ways if you're snow camping.

The issue is mainly how much backcountry skiing you plan on doing, and whether it involves snow camping or climbing steep pitches. Ice axe + boot crampons will set you back $250, so buying makes the most sense for the frequent backcountry types like icelantic and salida. Ski crampons are $50-$60 and worthwhile for nearly anyone who has gone to the trouble to buy AT skis, bindings and skins.

For me Diamox has been foolproof as prevention/cure of headaches at altitude, including Mt. Whitney after just 2 nights at Mammoth. Richard said the same for Kilimanjaro in 2003. But no question about side effects for some people. The one you didn't mention was tingling fingers, which I noticed to a mild degree in Peru and on Shasta. Adam's prior girlfriend was with us in Peru and had more severe tingling in her hands. After one night in Cusco (11,000) with no one having headache, insomnia or digestive issues we all stopped the Diamox. We slept 3 nights in Cusco before the Inca Trail and had no altitude issues except for Andrew, who got a digestive bug on day 2 of the hike.

Stomach upset is a symptom of altitude problems, so I'm not sure how someone would how know to attribute it to Diamox vs. the altitude.

Tony Crocker":weryl7iu said:
On Shasta Ben Mitchell gave us about 10 minutes training on how to self arrest with an ice axe.
Just enough time so you think you know what you're doing, but not nearly enough so that it is so instinctive that it actually prevents getting maimed or killed. "Learning" how to self arrest but with little or no practice is pretty much useless except for the extraordinarily lucky.

MarcC":phr1yumy said:
"Learning" how to self arrest but with little or no practice is pretty much useless except for the extraordinarily lucky.
There was some practice. As with avy transceivers more practice is always better but you have to start somewhere. Ben did impress upon us the risks, and he believes that you should not attach an ice axe to yourself with a rope.

Tony Crocker":2zw3tzny said:
MarcC":2zw3tzny said:
"Learning" how to self arrest but with little or no practice is pretty much useless except for the extraordinarily lucky.
There was some practice. As with avy transceivers more practice is always better but you have to start somewhere. Ben did impress upon us the risks, and he believes that you should not attach an ice axe to yourself with a rope.
Basically, there has to be enough practice where the action and movement becomes instinctive. The firmer the surface, the faster and more immediately you must react in order to have any hope of actually arresting your slide before you hit rocks or go over a cliff.

MarcC":1tcsvs16 said:
The firmer the surface, the faster and more immediately you must react in order to have any hope of actually arresting your slide before you hit rocks or go over a cliff.
Yes, and without the ice axe you're probably going over that cliff anyway if you fall, so having it with a little training is still better than not having it. The ice axe is also a more secure uphill side walking aid than a ski pole on steeper slopes with boot crampons.

Climbing Shasta I was rarely looking down or thinking about exposure. I was just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other in as stable a manner as possible. Looking later at the topography I don't think we were hiking directly above any cliffs and only occasionally above rocks. But the snow slope itself got to be 3,000 - 4,000 feet. Fortunately by that time it was far from bulletproof, as noted when we started skiing.

As with avalanche safety it's best to minimize the dangerous exposure in the first place and thus the likelihood of having to use emergency rescue techniques.

regarding your vomiting not sure what that is about. but as far as drinking lots of water I now believe that is a mistake.... i believe the water flushes your body of all the nutrients. i used to do the same and felt extremly weak and dizzy on long hard steep hikes thinking i was doing my body good by keeping it hydrated with water. wrong. i now drink raw milk and raw eggs with some raw meat before and during a hard ass climb and there is no fatigue or weakness and the next day i am ready to go again. I think the body needs some serious fuel for climbs like that and it works great for me. try it.

Also remember that crampons allow you to expend less energy in firmer conditions. Glad to see the next generation getting after it.

Back