Red Mt., B.C., Jan. 27-28, 2012

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I arrived in Rossland a day ahead of the NASJA West regional meeting, hosted this year by Red and Whitewater. My first day was also longshanks' last, so we skied together a couple of hours. Red has been unlucky on snow this year. Usually they get about the same as Schweitzer and 2/3 to 3/4 of Whitewater's snow. This year so far Red has 2/3 of Schweitzer's snow and half of Whitewater's, so the requisite 60 inch base for Red's steep terrain is just being attained now.

Longshanks had been there a couple of days and knew where to go. Paradise cruisers were a good warm up, but longshanks avoided the ungroomed there as it is south facing and there had been some sun earlier in the week there which had not been true at Baldface. So for 2 steep runs we were on the north side of Granite. First Beer Belly, where I did not ski particularly well in bumps among the trees. Next was Cambodia, very steep trees which needed to be skied very deliberately.
IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

Then Longshanks had to leave to catch his plane home to Ontario. His helmet has 2 stickers from Red and Castle, good taste IMHO as I believe these have the best terrain quality in interior western Canada. Longshanks likes Red better as he prefers trees. As a boarder who like trees, Baldface should be a priority on future trips. I am more comfortable in Castle's open terrain, and I consider Red somewhat powder dependent as those trees are a lot of work if it hasn't snowed recently. Both places are very impressive in powder.

After lunch I skied a couple of runs on Red. Views from the top of Red to Mt. Roberts
IMG_2020.JPG

Trail and the Columbia River
IMG_2022.JPG

Rossland
IMG_2023.JPG

I went back to Granite for 2 runs. The last was on the Slides, long, moderately bumpy, east facing so occasional but not that much crunchy snow.
IMG_2028.JPG

Total 17,300 Friday

This was the weekend of the Rossland Winter Carnival, same as my last visit during the ill fated 2005 season. Snow sculptures:
IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

On Saturday morning I went into town to watch the homemade bobsled contest on Spokane St.
IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

This hill was steep enough that the sleds could gather a lot of speed if they didn't brake on it.

A couple of bobsleds waiting to go at the top of the street.
IMG_2046a.jpg

I went back up to the hill, took a warmup run on Red and went into the NASJA lunch at Deane's cabin. I was on my AT gear because NASJA and our hosts had planned a tour to Mt. Roberts or Grey Mt. Unfortunately it was foggy and snowing so we decided not to do that. After lunch we skied a couple of runs on Granite and visited 2 more of the on mountain cabins. Beer Belly skied a bit easier than Friday with the new snow. I didn't mind the short day of 8,700 vertical much as I had a cold/partially numb foot in the AT boots. Comfort is still somewhat lacking in my larger foot if I use them for resort skiing. They are more comfortable for touring as they are loosely buckled and in walk mode most of the day.

Tony it was great to meet up with you in Paradise Lodge on my last day and I'm glad to have met the Legend in the flesh. After we split up I headed to the base and quickly found one my buds as the other 2 were lapping Red which Brady and I then did in earnest until my self imposed deadline to get off the hill. We followed you up Red and headed by you and over to War Eagle and War Eagle Trees...remarkably good once over there, soft snow, few tracks, beautiful rolling steepish terrain and well spaced, trimmed trees...
War Eagle Trees.JPG

The picture above is actually from my 1st day (Jan 21), another 31 cm fell before the 27th so the coverage was better. Other than Powder Fields on Granite, War Eagle is my favorite treed area at RMR and its always a good bet on a Powder day that you can get good lines late in the day or even the next day. This tour my timing was good as my 7 day stay included 4 days with fresh of which 2 were powder days by my standards. After a couple of burners down Back Trail and it was time to say goodbyes, get packed, and head to the airport.

My friends hooked up with a couple of your NASJA contemporaries (Ben & Jerry) on Saturday and showed them around the Mountains and from the sounds of it, at a pretty fast pace. Here is a B/J video from the 28th where Howard Katkov, CEO of RMR is interviewed with a cameo of a Local with Perspective.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yelJXnqzyTE[/youtube]

socal":2aq85eok said:
what airport do you fly out of? Spokane?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Assuming y'all American...yes, Spokane is 2.5 hours from the border, or Seattle to Kelowna (3.5hrs from Rossland).
For me Castlegar (40mins) as I am flying A/C domestic back to London via either Vancouver or Calgary, and Toronto.
This last Trip, was in Seattle/Tacoma the week previous, and hopped over from Sea/Tac to Spokane on Alaska Air.

Castlegar is an expensive and I've heard unreliable for weather (nickname is Cancelgar) airport. Almost everyone should try to use Spokane, as Southwest flies there and that keeps prices reasonable. Canadians with enough time to wander around can also consider Kelowna.

Love Red Mtn and was wishing we had gone there again this year, after learning that Tahoe had no snow. Luckily Tahoe came through, but I sure got spoiled by all that snow in BC last year.

Beer Belly and Cambodia are awesome glades. Love that mountain!

Back