Castle Mt., AB, Feb. 25-26, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Friday we drove to Castle Mt., which was also busier than usual with the Alberta school holiday week. The drive from Fernie can have a variety of wildlife.

IMG_0709a.JPG

Approaching the mountain it's mostly sunny but there's a mix of cloud and blowing snow on top.

IMG_0712a.JPG

It was about 15F at the base but maybe 10F up high with gusty winds. Morning was mostly sunny and afternoon mostly overcast. There were occasional 5 minute lines at the base, but none at the upper Red chair due to the weather.

The wind hammering that messed up snow surfaces at Polar Peak at Fernie and the Island Lake alpine was a mixed bag at Castle. There were areas of stiff uneven snow but there was also windsift. Drifter had both but enough smooth snow for decent skiing. Liz did not go to the top again on Friday after Drifter.

I looked for more uniform windsift, finding it on the skier’s left of Sheriff, Tamarack and the south chutes Lone Star and Desperado. The latter runs required an approach into the strongest wind of at least 30 knots. A posse of local hotshots blew by me in Desperado.

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG

The wind was especially intense riding Tamarack 1-2PM. Fortunately it abated on two later rides but I remained somewhat chilled.

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

The north side was typical packed powder, not as much loose snow on top as usual as it’s been awhile since a major dump. View down North Bowl:

IMG_3827.JPG

This would be a mogul marathon at most ski areas but remained soft packed powder with Castle's low skier density. I skied 20,800 vertical Friday.

We stayed in Pincher Creek as the Castle hotel was booked due to the holiday week. Pincher Creek was also windy, and Alberta is making good use of it here.

DSC02537.JPG

Saturday was warmer, probably 20+F at the base and 15F up high, though mostly overcast and minimal wind in the morning. 5 minute lines were consistent at the base and intermittent on the Red chair in the morning. From the Haig chair we get an overview view of the south chutes and Drifter.

IMG_3831.JPG

Most of the mountain is calm now but the wind is stirring up the snow at far left.

I showed Liz the windsift on Sheriff first.

IMG_3836a.JPG

And then on Tamarack before we split up:

IMG_3839a.JPG

IMG_3843a.JPG

Outlaw next to Sheriff was similar, and I pushed farther out the south chutes to High Rustler, which had great windsift but the wind was blowing along most of the run. View of High Rustler from below:

IMG_3846.JPG

By 1PM the wind had reached Drifter, but it skied much better than on Friday morning with abundant new deposition.

Next time up top it was blowing very hard as I navigated Huckleberry Ridge to the trees near Showdown. I fortunately cinched my hood tight for the next ride up Red chair at 1:50. It took half an hour to get up top with several stoppages. For the longest one of 10+ minutes I was two chairs from the top in 60-70mph winds. Off Ramp was a cloud of blowing snow where I lost my balance once. This was my most extreme lifetime wind experience skiing, which is saying something for someone with 400+ ski days at Mammoth.

I made it to Upper Chinook with more blown-in snow, then the North Rim groomer lower down where there was still some wind. I called it a day with 19,200 vertical by 3PM as the top was obviously closed and I needed to avoid further chilling. We also had COVID antigen appointments at 4:15 at the Walmart in Pincher Creek for re-entry to the US the next day.

While we are often on the lookout for windsift at Mammoth, it is an intermittent phenomenon there. In recent years we've been there a few times when the wind is blowing from the wrong direction and scouring the upper slopes instead of depositing loose snow. Castle's wind is more consistent in a favorable direction. I've been there in 10 different seasons and never seen widespread scouring. While the wind deposition was not as deep as in 2018, it was still great skiing over much of the terrain this time. The blowing snow was still with us as we left the mountain.

IMG_4118a.JPG

Last edited:
One of my favorite mountains (when the wind is behaving).
As noted before it does usually behave in term of direction and snow deposition. But you really don't want to be at Castle when the wind is strong enough to close the Red chair and over half the terrain. The dependence on one wind vulnerable chair is comparable to Mt. Bachelor's Summit and exceeded only by Las Lenas' Marte in my experience.

The Red chair has been open 16 out of 17 days I've skied Castle.
Summit has been open 26 out of 32 days I've skied Mt. Bachelor (I know I'm lucky here).
Marte has been open 10 out of 21 days I've been at Las Lenas.

What is Castle's YTD snowfall?

I know that you'll never convert to wearing a helmet; however, that's the big upside -- keeps your head significantly warmer than a hat in cold, windy conditions.

We also had COVID antigen appointments at 4:15 at the Walmart in Pincher Creek for re-entry to the US the next day.
I'm surprised that you don't have the convenient home tests with the QR code for your U.S. re-entry.

I have Castle's annual snowfall at 283 inches.

My understanding is that you have to get on a Zoom call to use a home test for US re-entry. That makes sense, because otherwise someone else could take the test for you. The Walmart antigen test was $20CDN, pretty reasonable, and results were done in 15 minutes.

The hood over a hat works just fine for warmth, as long as the wind doesn't blow it off. And the hood can be flipped back as soon as you get out of the wind. It's no surprise with my formative ski years at Mammoth that I adopted this very effective method of temperature control. Flipping back a helmet is not a viable option when you get out of the cold into warmer temps lower down.

I feel like that has to be a lower mtn snowfall number. I've had supposedly 6" of actually mid-thigh deep powder on the upper half for example.

Eg I don't buy that it has essentially the same snowfall as Copper mtn in Colo.

Castle is an a obvious case of being impossible to measure high on the main mountain due to the wind. I think they measure at the top of the Haig Mountain lift, which is relatively sheltered.

Fernie averages 369 inches at 5,400 feet So in that context 283 at Castle doesn't strike me as unreasonable. That would still be the most in Alberta.

That would put the measurement site in the range of ~5,700feet (albeit further east than Fernie).

Perhaps I've been overly lucky with my days there. I also have noted when there, a larger than I'm used to difference in snowfall between the upper 1500 verts vs the lower 1500 verts. Things like knee to mid-thigh on the upper followed by only 6-8" on the lower for example.

My days at Castle now cover 10 different seasons: 1999, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022. At this point it can't be all luck. I have had some wiggle room, a couple of times adjusting the schedule to avoid predicted high wind days which might shut the Tamarack lift. Only in 2014 did I have to ski one of those. Tseeb and I also bypassed the region completely in 2015, driving from Panorama to Montana when the border region had been plagued by excessive rain and Castle was closed.

369 vs. 283 is a quite logical disparity between areas on the windward and leeward sides of a major mountain divide. The consistent wind deposition is the key reason the snowfall appears more at Castle. Mammoth Snowman claims that wind deposition in Mammoth's upper bowls is 30% more than what's recorded at the patrol plot near Main Lodge. So it stands to reason that Castle would benefit similarly.

As for upper vs. lower vertical, Castle's topography benefits there too. There are gradual traverses north and south from the top of Tamarack. The south chutes and Drifter drop from the southern traverse, and most of the lower vertical is consumed by the Cinch Traverse returning to the base. Similarly to the north most of the steeper skiing is higher up, feeding groomers for the lowest third of vertical.

Last edited:
Back