Chobe National Park, Botswana, June 18-19, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
As I’ve mentioned in other TRs, Chobe is surely in the top tier of public safari destinations in Africa. With convenience to Victoria Falls, that’s a good value combination if you are in southern Africa. We stayed at Chobe Safari Lodge, where warthogs were the resident wildlife.
IMG_8051.JPG

In 2002 as well as this time, the afternoon/sunset safari at Chobe is by boat, circling Sedudu Island. The partially swampy island is favored by many animals like this water buffalo.
IMG_6488.JPG

Chobe is most famous for the highest concentration of elephants in Africa. Here some are crossing the shallower channel of the Chobe River.
IMG_8154a.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG

This was one of the many “Henry Mancini moments” we experienced in Botswana and Namibia.
IMG_0828.JPG

The elephants pull up swamp grass with their trunks, then wash it in the standing water before consuming it.
IMG_8080.JPG

IMG_8084.JPG

Chobe is noted for diverse bird life. White egret:
IMG_0790.JPG

African spoonbill:
IMG_0796a.JPG

Grey heron:
IMG_0816.JPG

Through my binoculars I saw one of these pull a frog out of the swamp by its head and swallow it whole.

Yellow billed stork:
IMG_0851.JPG

Egyptian goose:
IMG_0870.JPG

Marabou storks, included among the Ugly Five of southern Africa:
IMG_0852a.JPG

Hippos half buried in mud:
IMG_8134a.JPG

There are lots of safari boats on the Chobe river, three of them close to elephants and the right shoreline.
IMG_8200.JPG

Marabou stork coming in for a landing near elephants and an Egyptian goose:
IMG_8214a.JPG

Storks and giraffes:
IMG_8216a.JPG

The deeper channel of the river had some reptiles on the bank. Crocodile:
IMG_6507.JPG

Monitor lizard
IMG_0862.JPG

Sunset:
IMG_6516a.JPG

Outside buffet dinner at Chobe Safari Lodge:
IMG_6520.JPG

There were quite few Afrikaans speaking families from South Africa.

The next morning we up by 6AM for a land based safari. There were rumors of a leopard sighting, but no luck.
IMG_6533.JPG

This is what you can get in a public park where vehicles are required to stay on the roads.

The road came close to the riverbank in the early morning light. Impala:
IMG_0902.JPG

Squacco heron:
IMG_0904.JPG

We got a new mirrorless digital camera this year for these safaris as much as for April’s eclipse.

There were lots of guinea fowl on the road, but Liz zoomed this one.
IMG_0915.JPG

White-backed vultures feeding on a buffalo head, hooded vultures in background:
IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

Black-backed jackal scares off a couple of vultures:
IMG_8283a.JPG

Live buffalo:
IMG_0920.JPG

Southern yellow-billed hornbill:
IMG_0922.JPG

Kori bustard:
IMG_0927a.JPG

This is the heaviest flighted bird in the world, average 25lb, but can occasionally reach 40lb.

Baby elephant remains:
IMG_8319.JPG

Baboon and mongooses:
IMG_8343.JPG

Female kudus:
IMG_8384.JPG

Male kudu in the bushes:
IMG_8382a.JPG

This is an older, larger male approaching 4 spirals in his horns. Guides said 5 spirals is the maximum they have seen.

Last edited:
While so much of animal life there is location-specific, it's interesting to note that the egret and grey heron appear to be virtually identical to ours here in New Jersey. :eusa-think:

Egrets are found nearly everywhere, though there are subspecies. The grey heron is specific to the eastern hemisphere. Some of them migrate between Europe and Africa.

I am not a birder, but in this day and age you have an excellent chance to identify any bird you see or hear. The Merlin App is the Shazam for birds. I did not use it on the trip, but took phone photos yesterday of some of the camera pics. If you are in a remote area without cell service you can download in advance a package for the country you are visiting.

Last edited:
Back