Cimmarron Mountain Club in CO

EMSC

Finally figured out where this private club is in Colo. Of course mostly pretty vague descriptions for location that I'd seen previously.

Not sure if they even have openings (only 13 families allowed!).

They even have a web page (why for only 13 families?)

But was curious of just what terrain this private snowcat skiing offered. Surprisingly close to Montrose for you to fly your private jet into, lol. Looks like ~1,000 - 1,200 verts on average for the primary terrain which is typical for cat skiing anyways. Some decent looking terrain potential on the one ridge, surprisingly large number of cut trails too. Elevations between ~9,900' and ~11,350'. Though terrain faces E and NE.

That said, they claim 1K ski acres, plus another similar amount of acres on 'nearby' NSFS land and even claim 200 sq miles of Heli skiing?? I very highly doubt that. Maybe they have some sort of Telluride Helitrax agreement to use their services.

Google Earth has it at:
latitude - 38°17'47.97"N
longitude - 107°37'0.17"W

Cimmarron.JPG

From all the overbaked prose in the voiceover of this video, one would suspect that they're planning to build and sell a couple hundred McMansions.

Probably no ranches have been built yet even if land plots have been sold. There appear to be just 4 yurts where the club is marked on the map.

This post reminded me to check out Irwin Lodge. CAIC has 11 years of Dec.-Mar stats for Irwin which average an impressive 375 inches snowfall, which probably means 500+ Nov-Apr. The Google Earth view reminded me of Irwin’s primary south exposure.

Irwin claims 600 inches total snowfall (or least they used to). Too bad it all faces S and W though. Good news being Dec-Feb is really, really cold in that area.

There appear to be just 4 yurts where the club is marked on the map.
I feel like I recall hearing about this in a story that came across as a fairly rich guy bought the ranch and he was trying to figure out how to subsidize his desired ski habit and came up with letting a handful of families basically pay for him to cut the trails, build a warming lodge and pay for the annual costs of buying and running the snowcat. Plus I'm sure that given the clientele and tiny numbers of them, that very few of those families are visiting any given week. Thus giving himself most of the best powder days to himself outside of holidays.

suspect that they're planning to build and sell a couple hundred McMansions
Right? Why even have a splashy webpage for only 13 families? And while I shouldn't have been, somehow I was surprised to see groomed trails in the advert video. That's just not how I roll for snowcat skiing!

Back