Europe 24/25

Sbooker

I plan on being in Europe from about March 9 to early April. So outside the bulk of the Euro school holidays.
I intend to do another Snoworks course. They think they will do a couple of courses in Serre Chevalier in March next year but it's yet to be confirmed. Otherwise they'll definitely have courses in Tignes/Val D again. @ChrisC Dolomites thread has me eyeing that area if they get snow and I've got Mountain Collective days in Chamonix so would like to use them for the Vallee Blanche if conditions warrant. Stubai, Solden, Obergurgl and Galtur also interest me. My wife wants to check out Marseilles or Nice as a city break over that time too..............
TonyC has suggested he'll be in Europe late March. @jamesdeluxe I know you will only pull the trigger if conditions are good but it would be nice to put a name to the face.

Stubai, Solden, Obergurgl and Galtur also interest me.

I want to ski more of Austria. I have quite a list, and I won't be able to do them all on one trip. Also, I do not need to repeat the Arlberg or Ischgl, but they are both great!

Some areas of interest:
  • Solden and Obergurgl - I was supposed to go here with friends pre-Covid
  • Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Zugspitze and Gamrisch Classic) - I know Germany, but right across the border
  • Mayrhofen
  • Kitzbuhel
  • Saalbach
Also, would love to add glacier resorts:
  • Stubai
  • Hintertux
  • Pitztal
  • Kitzsteinhorn-Kaprun
  • Kaunertal
Considering Munich as a gateway, but Zurich allows even more flexibility.

Considering I had such a great time with them this past season I've been looking at the Snoworks calendar for next year.
I'm looking at the March dates. Particularly the 'backcountry' weeks. They have advised by email that backcountry is still lift served but may include some short hikes. It's essentially like the off piste week I did but a bit further away from the resort boundary. There is a week just after the school holidays based in La Plagne and the following week based in Tignes. The Snoworks people encouraged me to look at the La Plagne week as "it doesn't get as tracked out as fast as the area around Tignes/Val does".
Does anyone have any comments on crowding the week after the school holidays? @ChrisC I know you're all over the Val DÍsere off piste stuff. Have you done any research on the La Plagne area?

I know you people don't like the idea of pre-committing ski holidays but I'm about to book flights for March next year. Outside of the week at the start of March would there be any discernable difference in crowding in the last 3 weeks of March in France? Or once the school holidays finish the crowds die down to common level for the rest of the season?
I want to give myself the best chance of skiing powder and off piste that is not incredibly sun baked.
Thanks in advance.

I know you people don't like the idea of pre-committing ski holidays
No one said not to buy plane tickets far in advance. I believe that our suggested best practice is: don't pre-commit to ski holidays at one specific resort (specifically, where you're on the hook for a week of lodging) without bailout options, i.e. no car to go elsewhere if necessary.

Outside of the week at the start of March would there be any discernable difference in crowding in the last 3 weeks of March in France? Or once the school holidays finish the crowds die down to common level for the rest of the season?

I do not think there is much of a difference in crowd levels throughout March in France - except for the typical end of season fall off in visitation every ski area sees. Looks like most school holidays are done by early March.

1719316809735.png

Back